What's new

Time for a Lightning PIF

I ordered the White Sage/Lime as well. I'm a sucker for sage, and there's not to many products out there that use that scent. I love lime too, and I'm curious how they pair together.

That is one that will always be in my den. I love that scent!

Pm received. Package sealed should be sent tomorrow. Again thanks everyone that was fun. Neat way for a PIF and I look forward to the review on the soap.

I received the Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost soap yesterday, but had to wait until this morning so I had extra time to give it a proper evaluation.

I began with my usual preparation:
Set up the razor ('61 Fatboy) with blade (Personna Lab Blue) and soak the brush (vintage Fuller badger)in my Old Spice mug with warm water. Next was a hot shower and then the shave.

Soap Texture & Lather:
Jack Frost is the softest soap I have used so far, so I put a small amount into a small plastic tub and proceeded to load my brush. Even with my vintage Fuller best badger brush (it is fairly soft) I had no difficulty loading the soap in about thirty seconds. I added a teaspoon or so of water to my mug swirled it around for forty seconds, added a touch more water and easily made a very generous amount of lather.

Lather Performance:
Upon applying it to my face I found it to be creamy and slick with a slight tingling sensation. The blade moved easily across my skin, gliding on the soapy cushion. I was taking my sweet time and found the lather to last despite my leisurely pace. I had enough for my usual three passes plus touch up and yet enough left over for another pass+. The Menthol tingle continued all the way through the warm and cold water rinse.

Result:
A relaxing DFS, no nicks, weepers or irritation.

Soap scent: From the tub I could definitely pick up the Siberian Fir Needle, Orange and Spice notes, however, the "touch of Menthol" comes through more than I expected. My five year old wrinkled up her nose and exclaimed, "it smells sour and strong," and my wife said "it smells like my granddaddy's house." The scent reminds me of a pine and spice scented vapor rub. The scent is not as strong once it is lathered and lingers a bit longer than my PAA Deja Fougere.

Overall Impression:
Packaging and performance is great and makes me want to try other Sudsy Soapery products. However, for me, Jack Frost would fall into the "acquired scent" category. You see, I love it when my bride gently rubs my face and presses her nose against my cheek, but since she is not a fan of the scent, and I love her affections more than any soap, I will be passing this along to someone who can fully appreciate it.

Jack Frost brings a bit too much chilly Menthol into my den.

I want to thank @cvargo for the very generous PIF and the opportunity to try a new shaving soap. In keeping with the spirit of B&B, I have used a random number generator to select a new recipient: @slybrewguy

PM me your address and I will ship Jack Frost your way. Let us know your thoughts after you give it a try.

Last edited:
I received the Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost soap yesterday, but had to wait until this morning so I had extra time to give it a proper evaluation.

I began with my usual preparation:
Set up the razor ('61 Fatboy) with blade (Personna Lab Blue) and soak the brush (vintage Fuller badger)in my Old Spice mug with warm water. Next was a hot shower and then the shave.

Soap Texture & Lather:
Jack Frost is the softest soap I have used so far, so I put a small amount into a small plastic tub and proceeded to load my brush. Even with my vintage Fuller best badger brush (it is fairly soft) I had no difficulty loading the soap in about thirty seconds. I added a teaspoon or so of water to my mug swirled it around for forty seconds, added a touch more water and easily made a very generous amount of lather.

Lather Performance:
Upon applying it to my face I found it to be creamy and slick with a slight tingling sensation. The blade moved easily across my skin, gliding on the soapy cushion. I was taking my sweet time and found the lather to last despite my leisurely pace. I had enough for my usual three passes plus touch up and yet enough left over for another pass+. The Menthol tingle continued all the way through the warm and cold water rinse.

Result:
A relaxing DFS, no nicks, weepers or irritation.

Soap scent: From the tub I could definitely pick up the Siberian Fir Needle, Orange and Spice notes, however, the "touch of Menthol" comes through more than I expected. My five year old wrinkled up her nose and exclaimed, "it smells sour and strong," and my wife said "it smells like my granddaddy's house." The scent reminds me of a pine and spice scented vapor rub. The scent is not as strong once it is lathered and lingers a bit longer than my PAA Deja Fougere.

Overall Impression:
Packaging and performance is great and makes me want to try other Sudsy Soapery products. However, for me, Jack Frost would fall into the "acquired scent" category. You see, I love it when my bride gently rubs my face and presses her nose against my cheek, but since she is not a fan of the scent, and I love her affections more than any soap, I will be passing this along to someone who can fully appreciate it.

Jack Frost brings a bit too much chilly Menthol into my den.

I want to thank @cvargo for the very generous PIF and the opportunity to try a new shaving soap. In keeping with the spirit of B&B, I have used a random number generator to select a new recipient: @slybrewguy

PM me your address and I will ship Jack Frost your way. Let us know your thoughts after you give it a try.

Wow, that's awesome! Thank you! The funny part is, as I was reading your review I kept thinking "hmm... That soap sounds right up my alley!"

PM sent

Top Bottom