What's new

After shave for sensitive skin recommendation.please

I have sensitive skin that easily gets irritated during my shaves.
I've gotten some great tips on the shaving portion in another thread.

Is there an aftershave product you could recommend that might help make my post-shave-life a little more tolerable?
Would love it if it had some cooling effect too (could also be two different products).

I use Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream but for aftershave I use Nivea for sensitive skin.
If there's nothing better out there than the Nivea I'll just keep using it.
There's gotta be something though....

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
I haven't tried Nivea, but I can recommend Proraso Green Balm. I use it a few times a week during the winter months. It's readily absorbed by the skin and doesn't feel at all greasy. Nice scent and it is cooling (to my skin anyway). Very soothing.

Depends on the type of irritation, I would think. When I shave too close, I get chin bumps. For that I use:

SheaMoisture for Men Tea Tree After Shave & Bump Preventer

For a poor shave, or razor burn, I like

Jodian Medicated After Shave/Skin Conditioner

+1 Proraso Green. Alternatively, there is a Nivea Cooling balm however it doesn't have the same amount of cooling as Proraso Green but it is about half the price.

I like a couple of things. Firstly, I'm like you, I have very sensitive skin.

So Proraso pre/post white cream is a nice product that is very soothing (and cooling) when used as a post shave.

Another I like a great deal is Gentleman's Refinery AS. More expensive but very good. I recommend (and use) both.

Cheers
Mike

If you would like to try some off the shelf products for only a few bucks try Mennon Afta, Gillette Balm and Gel. Using Afta "Fresh" now during the winter months and find is quite good. Available in a lot of chain drug stores and Wally mart.

If you would like to try some off the shelf products for only a few bucks try Mennon Afta, Gillette Balm and Gel. Using Afta "Fresh" now during the winter months and find is quite good. Available in a lot of chain drug stores and Wally mart.

+1
I used Afta for years when using an electric. It worked well.

I have sensitive skin, and Soap Commander balm is good stuff, it also contains menthol so it has that nice cooling effect you want, and a little goes a long way. Musgo is hands down the best balm I've tried, and even less goes a long way, but it's expensive and doesn't have menthol. My face is dry and burning after just taking a shower this time of year, so I use the Soap Commander balm as a face cream every night too.

Thanks fellas.
Never heard of most of these. So I have some shopping to do.
Probably end up buying all of the recommendations and see what works for me.

Thanks again for your excellent advise.

I have sensitive skin too.

If I'm having some rough shaves, I use Thayers or a Stirling witch hazel. I avoid alcohol-based aftershaves altogether.

Just to keep up with the thread.

I recently tried the Soap Commander and for whatever reason it won't dry on my face.
At the end of the day, still 12 after I shave, my face still feels greasy from this stuff.
As good as it may be I just don't think it's something that works for me.

On to the next recommendation.

Thanks so far....

I always splash some witch hazel on after a shave, no matter what. I am not really experiencing problems too much these days, but every now and then I'll get too aggressive with a shave.
I like Speick if I've had a slightly rough shave, or have some minor irritation. (Actually, I just like Speick, anyways. Nice stuff.)
If the irritation is stronger, then I'll use a balm of some sort. Lately, I've really been liking the Aqua Velva balm (Wally world has the best price I've seen for this. Very inexpensive, and easy to find.)

Rather than answering the question as stated about aftershaves, let me try to get to the root of the problem, the sensitivity of your skin.

1. Is your skin sensitive only after shaving, or is it always sensitive?

If you skin is only sensitive after shaving, then you might be able to resolve the problem by changes to your razor, blade, soap, etc. I have blue eyes and a ruddy complexion (Scotch-Irish roots). I find I get the best shaves with a straight razor for two passes followed by a cleanup pass using a DE with a Feather blade. With either the straight razor or DE, shaving with the right angle and light pressure is critical to achieving a close shave without irritation. Some people with sensitive skin find that shaving with cold water rather than hot can reduce irritation.

2. Is your skin sensitive to specific chemicals/essential oils? I have found that my skin is sensitive to lime and eucalyptus oils, and perhaps others. I love TOBS shave creams, but I avoid the lime version. I cannot use Noxzema cream because of the eucalyptus oil.

3. Do you have nut allergies/sensitivity? If so avoid any product with nut oils (Argan oil, almond oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, etc.).

After every shave, I use either witch hazel or an alum block. Both help heal irritation and help close up pores. You should only get a slight sting from these products. If you get more than a slight sting, something is wrong with your shave. By using one of these two products after every shave, you can experiment with your shaving equipment and shaving technique and learn what combination results in the least irritation.

You can always use some type of shave balm after shaving to help heal any irritation you might get, but you are only treating the symptoms. The key is finding out what is causing the irritation in the first place and eliminating it.

Nivea soft moisturiser cream with jajoba oil or the as lotion sensitive..imo moisturiser is better and leaves your face super smooth all day one tub lasts around 6mnths-8

If you have very sensitive skin I can recommend my home made balm (50/50 Coconut oil and unrefined shea butter). I measure it and then microwave it until it melts and pour it into a small container. I always use Witch Hazel first, then apply my balm. Completely scent free and great for your skin. And inexpensive.

I've got pretty sensitive skin - especially in the cold of Winter when it gets v dry. I've tried a few balms now and I always return to Nivea when I need extra care!!!!! I think at the price it's really in a category of one!!

Top Bottom