What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

Update
Zino is a great perfume. I will probably look for a vintage bottle some day. Though it is cheap even for a new 4.2 oz bottle. I could reapply. Don't get me wrong for the money it performed great. I got through most of the work day without any issues with performance.

Today
Zara Rich/Warm/Addictive
The fragrance features tobacco, coconut, sandalwood, honey and cedar.
Is it worth the hype? Maybe
It smells wonderful and for $30 man its great. If it performs well for most of the day I would buy another bottle.
Tobacco warmed with sandalwood and cedar. Slightly sweet honey and creamy coconut. Its blended very well
I would call it masculine but it very well could be worn by a woman.

Some days it is the same as Herod and though I disagree it is similar. Man I am liking it so far. Great for fall or winter

How prominent is the coconut? It's a note that I dislike in fragrances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How prominent is the coconut? It's a note that I dislike in fragrances

In the opening it is THERE
Drydown you have to look for it. I nice deep inhale of it and I can smell it. I think it is well blended and the coconut it not load like a summery coconut smell. I think you will like this one Rick.
Sounds like I need to make another shipment soon

Update
Zino is a great perfume. I will probably look for a vintage bottle some day. Though it is cheap even for a new 4.2 oz bottle. I could reapply. Don't get me wrong for the money it performed great. I got through most of the work day without any issues with performance.

Today
Zara Rich/Warm/Addictive
The fragrance features tobacco, coconut, sandalwood, honey and cedar.
Is it worth the hype? Maybe
It smells wonderful and for $30 man its great. If it performs well for most of the day I would buy another bottle.
Tobacco warmed with sandalwood and cedar. Slightly sweet honey and creamy coconut. Its blended very well
I would call it masculine but it very well could be worn by a woman.

Some days it is the same as Herod and though I disagree it is similar. Man I am liking it so far. Great for fall or winter
Update
This stuff is great IMO. It seemed to project most of the work day. I wore an expensive shirt yesterday so I changed in to PJs early and just wore my undershirt. I made dinner last night and didn't want to stain my good clothes. I could still smell it when I went to bed though it was only close to the skin.

It performed better than some perfumes twice the price or more.

If you have access to a Zara store give it a shot. You can find it online but not cheap. Thank God for Facebook groups with people willing to buy it for you and ship it.

Today I am wearing from a new full bottle. I wanted this scent for sometime and finally bought it.
Retails for $280 for the big bottle but I paid just over $100 for a new bottle in retail package.

Bond No. 9 Cooper Square
This is a contemporary warm and intense eau de parfum with the lightest notes of juniper berry and vetiver. The key notes are: Cognac, lavender, patchouli, and an ambery, feral Mediterranean flowering plant called ciste labdanum.

At first I was a little freaked out because the opening did not smell like what I remembered it smelling like but after 5 minutes it was. It does not smell like other typical Bond scents to me.
The opening is a little light and green smelling but it quickly changes.
I get a boozy myrrh scent with juniper and some spice. It is very different and hard to describe. From what I recall wearing it before it performs well.

I picked up some vetiver aftershave and a couple of oud oil samples from a new friend at Darkwood Forest Apothecary. I've enjoyed their "PatchOUDli" aftershave oil for a couple of shaves, so I figured I'd try some other products. My friend included a vetiver edp sample that I'm enjoying this morning. This started with a real punch of Haitian vetiver, but has settled down with a nice light, almost lemon-ish zest, with some bergamot, and something a bit muskier underneath. Really nice stuff.

The oud samples I've tried will take some time to figure out.

I picked up some vetiver aftershave and a couple of oud oil samples from a new friend at Darkwood Forest Apothecary. I've enjoyed their "PatchOUDli" aftershave oil for a couple of shaves, so I figured I'd try some other products. My friend included a vetiver edp sample that I'm enjoying this morning. This started with a real punch of Haitian vetiver, but has settled down with a nice light, almost lemon-ish zest, with some bergamot, and something a bit muskier underneath. Really nice stuff.

This sounds great and thanks for helping me add one more frag bookmark! Would be great to hear more about the aftershave oil in the appropriate thread as it really looks intriguing.

I compared Midnight in Paris EDT and EDP yesterday. They are nearly exactly the same. Performance seems to be pretty close as well. The EDT consistently gets me a solid 12 hours. Heck I could still smell it on my undershirt the next day. I see no reason to spend the money on the now discontinued EDP.

MiP is a great leather Tonka scent IMO. Sure it is a little fem and a little powdery and yes its a touch sweet. I still love it and it is very affordable.

Today
Davidoff Hot Water
Top notes feature absynth and red basil, a heart introduces hot accords of pimento and patchouli, while a base encompasses styrax and benzoin

I like the opening and it does remind me of a slightly warm and spicy cool water. I was absynth patchouli and benzoin with some spice from the pimento I am guessing.

The scents seems to have died off already after about 3 hours. Not impressive

Not getting much traffic on the reviews now a days.

Someone chime in if you want me to keep doing these.

That sounds nice!! What's it called?

Today
Davidoff Hot Water
Top notes feature absynth and red basil, a heart introduces hot accords of pimento and patchouli, while a base encompasses styrax and benzoin

I like the opening and it does remind me of a slightly warm and spicy cool water. I was absynth patchouli and benzoin with some spice from the pimento I am guessing.

The scents seems to have died off already after about 3 hours. Not impressive

Not getting much traffic on the reviews now a days.

Someone chime in if you want me to keep doing these.

Well yeah, we want you to keep doing them! I for one really enjoy reading your thoughts on these juices

I picked up a couple of Ensar oud samples, including a Maroke oil he calls Xiang Liao Ling. This may very well be the most oud-y oil I have ever enjoyed. A bit camphorous and musty, it evokes a deep, dark, jungle-y intensity that is really something. I also pick up a light incense note and some florals. Super oil.

Story
I sent a fellow blogger / Frag-Head a sample of Midnight in Paris EDT. She loved it so much she bought it the next day and swapped a scent to get the EDP version. She replied to me with a sample of the EDP along with two other samples one of which I am wearing today. She told me it reminded her of MiP.
Today
Serge Lutens L'Incendiaire
Retails for.......
$600 for 50ml WHAT???
If you look you can find it as cheap as $475
You cant find much on the notes on-line. Here is what I could find
From Serge Lutens website quoted from Serge Lutens

The fire is not within the perfume but within me. I want to ignite the smouldering embers of the perfume world, to put the fire" back in perfume!

From Twisted Lilly also stated from Serge Lutens

“I use the word section to describe a breakaway, a separation. This departure from a black world brings forth a bright new division.

This divided version of me awakens a forgotten yet timeless image from the very first moments of my life. To the right of me, touching the edge of my shadow, in another light, it illuminates a crown, one that could belong to my other.

I am the protagonist in this story, turning my anger into passion. My aggressiveness hides my fear and mends my courage. L’incendiaire provides me with the spark I need, and by declaring my flame I ignite what burns within me, and consumes me. My heroine surges from deep within my cowardice and my flaws reveal the golden brilliance of her virtues. It is the love which sustains me in my darkest hour, even as I grieve for its loss.

Your crimes are mine, and I take them with me to the guillotine, where the executioner is waiting to cut the ruffian’s – my – story short. But my destiny is entirely in your hands!”

The notes listed on Twisted Lilly
Resin, Sap, Amber, Tar, Incense, Woods

The initial spray screamed quality to me and is nothing like MiP IMO. MiP is sweet leather and tonka and this IS NOT THAT!
This is a smoky heated wood. Not like the smell of burning wood but more like a dense hardwood charcoal burning bright. This is incense with a smooth note of Amber. I don't get much in the way or Tar. I like it a lot! It remind me of a cleaner non barnyard Oud. The hot dry variety.

The performance is already letting me down and I am kind of glad in a way. I mean $475.... I don't think so!
Now I am feeling a little stuffy (thanks to my sick wife I am sure). So this maybe impacting my opinion some.

Overall I think he nailed what he describes. It does make me think fire and hot embers.

Now should you run out and buy a bottle. Maybe if you drive a Ferrari or Bentley Brooklands.

Story
I sent a fellow blogger / Frag-Head a sample of Midnight in Paris EDT. She loved it so much she bought it the next day and swapped a scent to get the EDP version.

I do like soft leather fragrances. How does MiP EDT compares to EDP?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Another review
Today
Faqat Lil Rijal from Rasasi

Top notes are bergamot, saffron and agarwood (oud); middle notes are cardamom, rice, geranium and jasmine; base notes are patchouli, sandalwood, musk, leather and agarwood (oud).

From the Fragrantica page they are ranked in this order
Oud, Leather, Patchouli, Saffron, geranium, Musk, Sandalwood, Jasmine, Bergamot, Cardamom, Rice.

The opening is spicy and has an oud note for sure but it is not the same as others I have smelled. Something is different from both real and synthetic ouds I have tried. Its more like they mixes some other woods to try to mimic the smell. I get some jasmine and geranium for sure and it gives it a floral background. It also has some smoke. It is kind of a strange scent for a perfume really. To be honest it smells exactly like burning Nasaem wood chips from Nabeel.

This stuff Amazon.com: Oudh Nasaem Incense - 60gms by Nabeel: Beauty

This one will take a bit to decide how I like it. Its about 2 hours in and now I am getting a little more oud and leather. I think it is the geranium and jasmine that is making me a little undecided on this one.

Update on the Rasasi

I got a good 10-12 hours from this and the wife told me my cologne smells "incensy" when we went to bed about 17 hours after application.

Today
Kalemat Black from Arabian Oud
Top notes are olibanum and basil; middle note is vanilla; base notes are agarwood (oud) and amber.

Got a 10ml decant of this in a swap and I had never heard of it before.

Opening was strong amber and vanilla. The vanilla was almost like that freshly opened vanilla flavoring and almost alcohol smelling but still good at the same time. So far it smells a lot like other Vanilla/Amber based ouds. It is very sweet and almost to sweet for me. However I am liking it a lot. I think the lightly smoke cuts the sweetness some. It seems blended pretty well too.
Now most of what I can find has this around $100 for 100ml. Its good but I think you can find similar scents for less with good performance. Maybe something from Scent Story for example.

It is said to perform very well and I will update later.

Top Bottom