What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

SOTD 20 February 2017
Year 1 Week 30 Day 1

The best all Italian made Vetiver shave until now. Oh yes. Bar none.

As I told before here the new addition of my shaving den. Totally handmade vegetal soap for the hot Sicilian island.

Using first quality ingredients, and some innovations like the prickly pears fit that have active ingredients like the aloe.
This is a super filthy rich croap, ore on the creamy side. I also contributed for the Vetiver that here is strong pure and earthy as I like the most.
The glide is excellent, it's very concentrated and what stuns is the magic post feeling for the skin. If you don't need the AS imo means excellence.

Using such great cream needs and excellent brush and here the Omega 6793 LE. The silver tip fibers are silk for the skin.

Starting my all Italian week with my holy grail Italian razor Garibaldi. Such sweet shaver for the whiskers and for the remembrance.

Ending this titanic shave with an all Vetiver post shave. A fantastic no alcohol super soothing Vetiver AS and the great Mango Butter.

Pre: hot shower and Saponificio Varesino Mangi Butter
Brush: Omega 6793 LE
Razor: Garibaldi
Blade:
Soap: Freelander Vetiver
Aftershave: L''Erbolario Vetiver de La Réunion Aftershave / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

Today I used my Fatip Grande for the first time. I bought it in October but hadn't used it before today. I've been using my Piccolo and my Gentile so far this month. I also used my stunning Omega 6652 silvertip badger. This brush has a lovely "anodized" aluminum handle. The brush held enough Proraso green soap for more than the 3 passes I needed; the Grande worked so well. I could feel the new Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade but nothing uncomfortable about the shave. Some witch hazel and a nice Figaro Monsieur Gold splash and I'm ready for an audience with the pope (should he call).

SOTD 21 February 2017
Year 1 Week 30 Day 2

Another fantastic all Italian made shave. The tobacco shave from Freelander.

Freelander Tabacco today was whipped with a synth brush. The lather came out differently, creamier and thicker.
The yogurty lather I love.
And again also today I had under my nose a fantastic tobacco scent, and a great shave.IMO miles away from the latest italian Tobacco tried, the TFS. NOt that good.

Today I went for synth that gave me a creamy yogurty lather the nice but small 46126. Happy shaving!

My all Italian week with my holy grail Italian razor Garibaldi. Also today I'm very happy after I stropped more than 60 timers. Sweeet!

Ending also today with a strong Denim Aftershave coupled with the soothing Mango Butter from Saponificio Varesino.
Yes I love this way. I love wetshaving.

Pre: hot shower and Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter
Brush: Omega 46126
Blade:
Soap: Freelander Tabacco
Aftershave: Denim Aftershave / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

SOTD 22 February 2017
Year 1 Week 30 Day 3

The third day with Freelander soaps. I'm very happy with the new, today I'm going with the rose one

This rose shaving soap from Freelander is as expected a great creamy latherer. IN addition the rose scent is not sweet but still floreale, a tad green.Lovely.
Whipped for a long time over y face especially under the neck we here there is the most sensitive and most nicks usually. No problem. Face is sooothed.

The scannatassi Omega 20102 was loaded a lot and it replied with. Lot of lather, sad much as possible.

My holy grail Italian razor Garibaldi. My favorite straight razor give me always sharp shaves and sweet sensations. If only this razor could talk...

Ending with a slight burning feeling with the strong Denim Illusion AS and the soothing Mango Butter from Saponificio Varesino.

Pre: hot shower and Saponificio Varesino MangoButter
Brush: Omega 20102 The Scannatassi
Blade:
Soap: Freelander Rosa
Aftershave: Denim Illusion Sftershave / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

SOTD

A very nice (50% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Preshave: Splash of warm water on face
Brush: Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino
Soap: Cella
Razor: Mühle R41 head on Knockout Bakelite handle
Blade: Polsilver SI (22)
Postshave: Splash of cool water on face
upload_2017-2-22_23-13-36.png
:001_wub:

Starting today, this will be my second week with the R41. The first week was back in October last year, so my R41 fledgling technique needs some work. That said, it was still a very enjoyable BBS shave. :001_cool:

And again also today I had under my nose a fantastic tobacco scent, and a great shave.IMO miles away from the latest italian Tobacco tried, the TFS. NOt that good
Sorry Stefano, but I have to ask an obvious question. Is the TFS product Tabacco verde, and do you prefer the Freelander or the TFS scent? How strong is the Freelander scent?

I recently tried First Canadian Shave Soap's tobacco scent Maximo Gonzales Cuba, and while the scent was very nice, it was too subtle for my tastes.

I just ordered an Italian tobacco cream - Vitos (Susan Darnell) Tobacco, and got a shipping confirmation from Connaught Shaving that it was dispatched today. I'll post my thoughts in an SOTD when I get it.

TFS and Freelander have likely the same strength. But Freelander is superior. Better post shave ( iMO all TFS dries my skin in the post shave) better scent, better texture.
Vitos is a must have, and I love it over TFS again. Great price, great quality soap. I'm looking further of a Tobacco aftershave and a Vitos is in my wishlist.
These are my YMMV...

SOTD 23 February 2017
Year 1 Week 30 Day 4

This week I'm going with the an All Omega All Italian days.
Starting today with the fresher Aquae.
Liquid teflon, very glissant, thick cream. Scent is a classic fresh aquatic scent.

Loading this soap with a synth is highly recommended. With an Omega even better.

My holy grail Italian razor Garibaldi. Stropped even more, sweeter than a piece of cake.

Post shave from this soap is great. But the Skin Serum is fantastic and makes difference. Wow.

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Omega S-Brush #49
Blade:
Soap: Omega Via Barberia Aquae
Aftershave: Omega Via Barberia Aquae Skin Serum

proxy.php

SOTD 27 February 2017
Year 1 Week 31 Day 1

Last days of February for this all Italian Month.

Last soaps of my shave den. Freelander Vetiver.
Pure earthy smokey Vetiver over a fantastic soap base.

A great and one of the best synth of the house, Omega 46126 is soft but not floppy.

The black velvet sniper my Fatip Testina Gentile do the task in pleasurable way even with an old Bolzano lad

Ending very soothing and nicely calming with the L'Erbolario aftershave and burro di Mango by Saponificio Varesino.

Brush: Omega 46126
Razor: Fatip Testina Gentile
Blade: Bolzano
Soap: Freelander Vetiver
Aftershave: L'Erbolario Vetiver de La Réunion After shave/ Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Friends... I am wrapping up a 50% Italian Fixed Four February.

Razor: E1 1959 Gillette Adustable "Fatboy". Fatboy February.
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium. I went 22 shaves on one Polsilver.
Brush: Omega 80266 banded boar with ivory handle.
Soap: PannaCrema! I alternated between Lavandotto, Ebano, San Francesco, and Vetiver.

I great month of shaves! Now to settle on my March Fixed Four. It will be an All Italian Fixed Four. Any votes for which Fatip I should choose???

SOTD

An excellent (25% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Soap: Nanny's Silly Soap "Original Vetyver"
Razor: Gillette "No Guard" Tech
Blade: Polsilver SI (28)
upload_2017-2-28_21-9-58.png

I've just finished off my One Blade in February challenge in style. :001_cool:

I'm now set up for the Fixed 4 for March, all of which will be 50% All Italian. :blink: :laugh:

SOTD 28 February 2017
Year 1 Week 31 Day 2

The last day of this all Italian month. Ending with a dark vetiver shade, yes Ilove vetiver in any way. Ending with one of the best soap of the world.

Saponificio Varesino Cosmo. A cosmic interstellar soap based on a complex dark vetiver bouquet over te best shavingsoap base your can find. Flawless.

THe big daddy of the shaving den the Omega 98 is the Team 6 of my boar brushes. Bold, black and effective and loves to be super loaded.

The black velvet sniper my Fatip Testina Gentile again today in the best matching I found with a Bolzano blade. Really. I'm astonished that seems that Bolzano blades can last five times more with this razor still keeping effectiveness and pleasure. I compliment my self!

Ending with the supe soothing and calming Aftershave the L'Erbolario aftershave and burro di Mango by Saponificio Varesino.
The Aftershave is based on witch hazel that really soothes instantly the redness and tone the skin. Adding the vetiver makes everything lot intriguing. almost perfect.

Brush: Omega 98
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Aftershave: L'Erbolario Vetiver de La Réunion After shave/ Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

SOTD 01 MARCH 2017
Year 1 Week 31 Day 3

Starting the new month of March with grace. Can't resist to go for Bayrum, too much time without it. So I'm using my home made BayRum Oil as preshave.

Barrister and Mann is simply the best Bayrum for me. Lather scent performance are at the best. And the black line is simply a must have.

Synths make a better lather than any brush IMO. And this big S-Brush from Omega is like the Grandfather 49. Probably a tad better.

The black velvet sniper my Fatip Testina Gentile still with an old blade rocks. I'm going to use this matching until it dies!

A very classic must have the Pinaud VIBR complements the soothing Mango Butter from Saponificio Varesino. I'm with a sword!

Pre: hot shower and Bayrum Dope Oil
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: Barrister and Mann BayRum
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

SOTD

An great (50% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Soap: Cella
Razor: Phoenix Bakelite
Blade: Polsilver SI (29)

upload_2017-3-1_22-17-32.png

I know the shave was only 50% Italian... but what about the colors in my pic? :a21:

SOTD 02 MARCH 2017
Year 1 Week 31 Day 4

Quick shave. But an excellent shave.
Fewer stuff but still greater quality.

Mesmerizing scent and fantastic performance with Henry er Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. Always thanks to @rudyt to let me try this fantastic soap. The skin is simply relaxed.

And the Italian hardware made its job such wonderful way thanks ti Omega and Fati. At today I didnt change the Bolzano Blade over the Fatip Testina Gentile and I think i'm on the 14th shave.
THis tells me a lot in how meaningful is the blade/razor matching and a ue of good soaps plus a proper prep

Ending fresh with Floid Blue and Mango butter.

Brush: Omega Proraso
Soap: Henry et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Aftershave: Floid Blue / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Mar 3: All-Italian Franken-Fatip Friday

Lather: Vitos (Susan Darnell) Tabacco Crema di Barba
Brush: Omega B&B Essential Boar (green sea-foam)
Razor: Fatip v1 baseplate with Old Type thick cap
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless [63]
Splash: RazoRock The Stallion

A few days ago, I got an email from Gifts & Care that the Fatip Grande was on sale for about $20. I asked them if it was the v1 version, or the current, much smoother v2 version. The v2 version has a wider cap (19.5mm vs 18mm) that is lower profile (2.5mm vs 3mm). I'm waiting for an answer, and will probably pull the trigger if G&C's current stock is v2 - my Piccolo is a v1 and is pretty harsh.

I decided to do a Fatip Friday shave and thought, hmmm, what if I used a wider top cap to mimic a v2. I measured the cap of my Old Type thick cap and it looks like about the width of a v2 cap, and it fit the curve of the Fatip baseplate perfectly. I had to use a vintage Gillette fat Tech handle because the Fatip uses oddball threads.

Wow! What a shave! Despite having a blade with 63 uses on it, the shave was incredibly smooth without sacrificing any of the Fatip's efficiency. This combo is an absolute winner - the question now is do I need a v2 Fatip? Stupid question - of course I do ;-)

@Mostho - did you find the scent strength of the Cognac and Cuban Cigars still moderate? I finished my tub long ago (my favorite tobacco scent), but found the scent getting weaker as the soap got older. I bought some Vitos Tabacco and while it does smell like tabacco, it also smells very soapy. Great performance though.

Top Bottom