What's new

Clyde72's Shaving Journal

Nice shave Craig, and good to see another 830 in the cadre section! I have one and I love it. It will get very soft once broken in, while retaining much of the backbone. The AdP Colonia Leather is nice. I was able to try out a sample decant of it and enjoyed it very much.

+1 on the 830. That was my first brush, and once you give it a month or so to break in I think you'll be very impressed with it.

I hope you enjoyed the cigar and the bourbon Craig. Heck yea have the kids stop by. My son has two boys, one just over three and one will turn 2 in March. His hands are a little full right now, so I don't get on him too hard about the shave.

Nice shave Craig, and good to see another 830 in the cadre section! I have one and I love it. It will get very soft once broken in, while retaining much of the backbone. The AdP Colonia Leather is nice. I was able to try out a sample decant of it and enjoyed it very much.

Thanks Josh! Good to know about the 830.

+1 on the 830. That was my first brush, and once you give it a month or so to break in I think you'll be very impressed with it.

So Eric with my current brush rotation, that means it'll be good the next time I use it? :wink2:

I hope you enjoyed the cigar and the bourbon Craig. Heck yea have the kids stop by. My son has two boys, one just over three and one will turn 2 in March. His hands are a little full right now, so I don't get on him too hard about the shave.

Yes I did Walt!

Catching up - Nice reads Craig!!

Thanks Dave!

2-27-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #18

Pre Shave: Every Man Jack Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (set on 6)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Non Shave Areas: LAB Series Pro LS All-In-One Face Treatment

Same routine, soaked the puck, which has been left uncovered, while I showered, dumped the water, squeezed out the brush and loaded for 30 seconds. Move to scuttle and whip for 2 to 3 minutes. No water added. Nice Stable, Slick, and cushiony lather. The Fatboy and the ASP yielded a BBS after 3 passes. Very little alum sting. I finished up with some Bootlegger's El Dorado. Good way to start the work week!

Setup 2-27-2017
Setup-2-27-2017.jpg

My sinuses have cleared up so I grabbed the Bootlegger's El Dorado. This is my 1st time to use it. Very nice woody leathery scent, and I do get a little powder scent from the Clubman Vanilla. I like it! The face feel was excellent after this mornings shave. I could still detect the scent just ever so slightly 4 hours later. Nice longevity for an AS.

I commend your due diligence with the challenge! Glad you are feeling better man!

BTW did you decide on a straight yet?

I have the same brush Craig that I am going to use on the BBW challenge that Rich and I will be doing starting tomorrow. I had Larry lower the loft by 5mm as I wanted plenty of backbone to face lather while traveling. I think I would do well to follow your lead regarding the lather of the Blasted Blue Willie. I put some water on the soap this AM to hydrate it, and will pour it off tonight and cap it up for morning.

2-28-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #19

Pre Shave: Urth Face Wash and Urth Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: RazoRock Protege
Blade: Feather
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in Pure Badger
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Bootlegger's Virginia Perfecto
Non Shave Areas: Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Face Lotion

Today I decided to go with my Simpson Duke 3 in Best Badger brush. That's all that changed on the lathering part. Everything stayed the same including the results. After 2½ passes with the Protege a BBS was achieved. Just a slight sting from the alum, just to let me know I don't have the angle just right. Splashed on a healthy dose of the the Bootlegger's Virginia Perfecto. A good shave.

Setup 2-28-2017
Setup-2-28-2017a.jpg

Okay so now I'm able to give my impression of the Bootlegger's Virginia Perfecto. This is a very light scent, the spice and cloves of the Bay Rums are very subdued. I get a slight powdery citrus at first, which give way to a nice light straight tobacco scent. All backed up by the Bay Rum. I like the scent. The face felt very smooth afterwards. Scent was completely gone in less than 2 hours. So so far out of 3 Bootlegger's scent I've liked all of them. And all 3 have have performed well so far as leaving the face feeling good.

I was feeling a little creative so I played around with Photoshop Elements on the SOTD Picture.

As I am up early awaiting the initiation of the BBW challenge, I look at your Cowboy Willie and hope I can last that long.

Top Bottom