What's new

Copper shave bowls

I like the Turkish mugs too - but they can open up a very deep rabbit hole if left unchecked...
I started with a Copper one and liked it so much that I was converted from being a die hard face latherer to a die hard bowl latherer.
I bought 5 tin containers on eBay, cut up my Bea, La Toja, Lea, Palmolive and Tabac sticks, pressed the slices into the containers and turned them into pucks.
I also bought a stainless steel camping mug with lid, cut up 3 Derby sticks and pressed in the slices to make a very big puck
Not long afterwards I spotted a slightly smaller, but thicker and heavier Brass version of my existing mug and knew I had to have it, they look cool hung up on hooks dangling from the shelf
They're well used and have developed a nice dull patina
So far I've exercised gentlemanly restraint, but I've seen some very nice smooth Turkish Copper mugs on eBay and I know a 3rd one would look so cool next to the other two
20160903_105620.jpg

Can you take a photo of the patina?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's difficult to really capture an accurate picture but this is what mine looks like. Mine was a bright, shiny copper like the photo in the first post but I like the patina and have never cleaned it off.

IMG_2214.JPG

Okay you convinced me. I'm a face latherer but for $10, what the heck. Ordered.

I just ordered / sniped another for my son.

If you are getting them from the same guy I did he chucks in some sample blades. There is one in a plain wax paper wrapper with no branding. It's a really good blade, apparently it's one he has made for him. It's well worth a try.

Did you just wash it with like dish soap or something?

Yes, dish soap easily did the trick. The quality and sturdiness of the bowl was even better than I expected and since this was a hand-crafted item that I'm sure is cranked out by the dozens I wasn't surprised or bothered by it at all.

I love mine. Only thing I'd change is making the handle loop on mine a little wider. My thumb gets stuck lol

Interesting. I've never even thought of putting my thumb in there. I thought the handle was just there to be able to hang it somewhere.

Anyway, I have one and it was instantly my favorite bowl. So much so that I purchased another on the E site with a silver finish on the outside that should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info. I have been eyeing this on a popular site for some time and never pulled the trigger. I guess I will, it is a good looking bowl and I like that it's a little different. Thanks!

I ended up buying one after reading all of the positive responses. Now I just have to wait for It to get here. Thenka everyone!

Read this thread and now have copper shave bowl on its way. I bowl lather and have been using a cereal bowl. Getting interested in a nice scuttle that will permit me to use warm/hot lather. Thanks for the enjoyable posts.

Why put your thumb through it. From the shape, I'd be sticking my middle finger through it, with my hand curving around the bowl.

Why put your thumb through it. From the shape, I'd be sticking my middle finger through it, with my hand curving around the bowl.

That sir is a very good point ... I'll try it when I get home. But I don't think it will fit Ether

Top Bottom