What's new

Embarking on an MT 'Tough Blade' Endurance Test

Something about work, the weather or a combination thereof has me shaking up my shaving world. I woke up yesterday morning and decided I wanted to endurance test the Micro Touch Tough Razor, which I purchased many months ago and had not gotten around to using yet.

For perspective, just over a year ago I recorded 75 shaves on US made, Gillette Mach 3 cart and only stopped the run because I got bored.

The Tough Razor is advertised as an alternative to other, pricier offerings on the market, stating that its 12 carts (plus handle for ~$20) can give you a years worth of shaving.

This morning I made the decision to begin, and after lathering up with Tabac and my trusty Razorock Plissoft, proceeded to have a truly great shave #1. The shave was on 2 days growth, right after the shower. In all honesty, it was completely flawless in all ways. No cuts, nicks or irritation.

One N/S pass, some strategic ATG on certain areas plus some touch up later, I was sporting a glass smooth shave that gave me no reaction at all to my Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS. 13 hours later, I'm just barely detecting stubble. It really was what I would categorize as a remarkably close shave.

The biggest knock I've read about this razor in online reviews seems to be the build quality of the handle, with some stating they've dropped it and managed to break it.

The razor is marked as made in Germany. I don't know if these are Personna manufactured blades but the first outing with it was quite impressive.

I have an 11 day work stretch ahead of me, and a job that requires I be clean shaven (mustaches are permitted but that's it) so this is a good week to kick off a test of their longevity claim!

proxy.php

I am very interested in hearing your results and thoughts. I have one and I've used it a couple times, wasn't bad. The handle does seem pretty questionable on quality, seems like the clips on top would be easy to break. Curious to see,how long the blade lasts for you.

It's Harry's razor actually, Harry's owns factory in eastern germany called feintechnik. In US Harry's is called Harry's while in europe it's called Shark/Xenon 5 razor, Tough blade is in US in Europe it's Zenith 3. They also have another razor which is available in eastern europe and razor itself is better than mach 3 I'd say fusion also, but has 3 blades and cartirdge looks much like Tough blade.
Is handle metal or plastic?

I think their angle is much more narrower and blades a little bit thicker than gillette's or wilkinson's/schik's

Last edited:
It's Harry's razor actually, Harry's owns factory in eastern germany called feintechnik. In US Harry's is called Harry's while in europe it's called Shark/Xenon 5 razor, Tough blade is in US in Europe it's Zenith 3. They also have another razor which is available in eastern europe and razor itself is better than mach 3 I'd say fusion also, but has 3 blades and cartirdge looks much like Tough blade.
Is handle metal or plastic?

I think their angle is much more narrower and blades a little bit thicker than gillette's or wilkinson's/schik's

Very helpful info. These blades are very smooth cutting and sharp and I would rate them highly for efficiency.

The handle exterior is plastic but must have some sort of metal insert as it is pretty hefty by cart razor handle standards.

Very helpful info. These blades are very smooth cutting and sharp and I would rate them highly for efficiency.

The handle exterior is plastic but must have some sort of metal insert as it is pretty hefty by cart razor handle standards.

Mine has a metal strip on the top side. 10 carts for 40 HRK (5.6$) I really can't complain.

@Highspeedlane How are shaves going?

There is quite big possibility that your handle has zamak inside, because I read somewhere that harry's handles are filled with zink alloy

@Highspeedlane How are shaves going?

There is quite big possibility that your handle has zamak inside, because I read somewhere that harry's handles are filled with zink alloy

I made it to 15 shaves (to the middle of March) and set it aside for now. Not that it wasn't still cutting satisfactorily, only out of sheer boredom with using it. I have since gone back to several other DE razors I've owned but haven't used regularly, to use for the remainder of March. It would only take an additional two weeks using the Tough Blade to prove out (or not as the case may be) their claim of "a year's worth of shaves" from its 12 carts.

Thrown into the mix of the past two weeks were a couple of shaves with my Sensor twin blade disposables. Generally speaking I can get a very good shave from most cart razors, but it takes a bit more work to get to the level of closeness I can get with DE. They are fine for the occasional shave or for traveling and will probably perform duties in such a capacity.

As to the handle of the Tough Blade, I believe it is primarily Zamak on the exterior (painted or epoxy coated black) and rubberized orange panels inlayed for added grip. It certainly has the heft to indicate so, and I've seen enough powder coated metal surfaces in my former employ to confidently come to that conclusion.

I made it to 15 shaves (to the middle of March) and set it aside for now. Not that it wasn't still cutting satisfactorily, only out of sheer boredom with using it. I have since gone back to several other DE razors I've owned but haven't used regularly, to use for the remainder of March. It would only take an additional two weeks using the Tough Blade to prove out (or not as the case may be) their claim of "a year's worth of shaves" from its 12 carts.

Thrown into the mix of the past two weeks were a couple of shaves with my Sensor twin blade disposables. Generally speaking I can get a very good shave from most cart razors, but it takes a bit more work to get to the level of closeness I can get with DE. They are fine for the occasional shave or for traveling and will probably perform duties in such a capacity.

As to the handle of the Tough Blade, I believe it is primarily Zamak on the exterior (painted or epoxy coated black) and rubberized orange panels inlayed for added grip. It certainly has the heft to indicate so, and I've seen enough powder coated metal surfaces in my former employ to confidently come to that conclusion.

Same here, DE shaves better, but I don't mind carts.
For avarage user cartridge is perfect, who know maybe someday I'll primarily use cartridge and not DE

Top Bottom