What's new

Strop making hardware/material

Hello,
Does anyone no were to but strop making materials for a 2 1/2 strop? Such as clip with swivel leather buckle for both ends?

I was hoping someone would've chimed in by now. I recently got some flax linen firehose. I rigged it up temporarily an am loving it. Probably wouldn't mind adding some nice hardware. Worse comes to worse, I'll make something up.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Tack and saddle shops. Or take your chances on Amazon. I got a few (expensive) heavy duty D rings from a fleabay seller that are designed for climbing or safety harnesses. They are perfect overkill. You might look for used climbing harnesses to cannibalize. You could also make some dandy ones out of 1/4" brass plate, I imagine. Chicago screws are all over the internet. Get just a few at first, to make sure you got the right length for your leather thickness and layers. Buckle, schmuckle. Don't need fancy pants swivels or hooks or clips. Just hang the D ring from a convenient hook or get an S hook from Home Depot an hook it on a door hinge or something. Tie it with paracord, Whatevah.

I got enough hardware to make all of these from an eBay seller. Enough to make 6 strops for $20, also got a bag of 2 1/2 inch D rings from Amazon, but haven't used any yet. All of our local tack and saddle shops, as well as Tandy Leather only have up to 1 1/2 in hardware.
I bought one leather piece from Razor Emporium.. and they also sell all of the hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_20170330_170511841_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170330_170511841_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 62
I found my hardware at strapworks. Bought the Chicago screws off amazon.

Bump!

Strapworks looks like a great resource. And I get to Eugene fairly often.

I am looking for classic strop swivel clamps like those found on Illinois strops from Fromm. I reached out to both Fromm and Sharpening Supplies, but got no help. Fromm and other strop manufacturers are finding these somewhere! China, I suppose. Maybe Strapworks has a clue. Not much help from Google so far.
932CA908-938E-4A07-8084-84212BEC63AF.jpeg

I use 2 -inch D rings, Chicago screws from Tandy Leather, and a snap swivel or a 20 inch piece of Para Cord tied in a loop, (if you use paracord you do not need a swivel). Snap swivels are available from Tandy or locally at Ace Hardware as are D rings.

You will need to notch the strop to fit in the D rings. Seal the Flax cut with glue to prevent unraveling.

Here are some photos of a 3-inch Polyester canvas/sail cloth and how it was notched and assembled with iron on fusing tape or leather rivets. Or using a leather end cap and rivets, pictured is a flax firehose with leather end caps and rivets.

IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3985.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Bump!

Strapworks looks like a great resource. And I get to Eugene fairly often.

I am looking for classic strop swivel clamps like those found on Illinois strops from Fromm. I reached out to both Fromm and Sharpening Supplies, but got no help. Fromm and other strop manufacturers are finding these somewhere! China, I suppose. Maybe Strapworks has a clue. Not much help from Google so far.
View attachment 1605530
Did you ever find any? I’ve not been able to track any either.

Top Bottom