What's new

Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs

I just got my first pouch of Salty Dogs. Quick question for the salty vets out there. Are the pouches good enough for cellaring purposes, or do I need to treat it like Esoterica bags?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I out several pouches in a quart jar and sealed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the bags are fine, but may be subject to pinholes over time if subjected to jostling - much like the Esoterica bags. I store the bags in a .30 caliber ammo can - it's airtight, and they fit perfectly. (The Esoterica bags go in .50 caliber cans.)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I never saw a pouch that worked. Once a tin is popped, I would always transfer to a jar with a gasket.

So, I would not do long term storage/cellaring with the pouch only in open air, so I'd say put the pouch in something like a jar or other sealed container. That said, if you're smoking it in rotation with other blends open, the tight little brownie plug will hold its moisture quite well.

Thanks for the input gents. The consensus is about what I expected.

As a side note, it sounds like Price and I shop at the same store for storage containers. :thumbup1:

Said it a bunch of times, I never thought I'd buy this many mason jars in my life and not can a single thing.

Mason jars are your best friend.

Whenever I buy mason jars, my wife instantly knows I've purchased more tobacco. I've started buying more jars than I need at a time...because I know I'll need them later.

Whenever I buy mason jars, my wife instantly knows I've purchased more tobacco. I've started buying more jars than I need at a time...because I know I'll need them later.

My garden is fairly close to 1/4 acre. Am I really that in to gardening and canning? No. It's just subterfuge to explain away jar purchases.

Like everyone else, I play it safe with mason jars--once a pouch is opened. Unopened, I leave pouches intact but store them in air-tight canisters or bail tops. Consider that there are two levels of seals/protection when it comes to plugs: the primary outer pouch and inside that is a cellophane wrapper containing the lurvly plug.

Tangent warning. Don't you guys love plugs?! The smoke and flavour they produce is remarkably thick, rich, deep and smooth. And cool, too. Never once been bit or concerned with hot smoke from a plug.

Hope you enjoy your plugs, Nate!

Like everyone else, I play it safe with mason jars--once a pouch is opened. Unopened, I leave pouches intact but store them in air-tight canisters or bail tops. Consider that there are two levels of seals/protection when it comes to plugs: the primary outer pouch and inside that is a cellophane wrapper containing the lurvly plug.

Tangent warning. Don't you guys love plugs?! The smoke and flavour they produce is remarkably thick, rich, deep and smooth. And cool, too. Never once been bit or concerned with hot smoke from a plug.

Hope you enjoy your plugs, Nate!
The only thing I don't like about plugs is when you get down to the end on the plug. My knife skills are nil and trying to make the last two cuts are nerve wracking. :lol:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The only thing I don't like about plugs is when you get down to the end on the plug. My knife skills are nil and trying to make the last two cuts are nerve wracking. :lol:

You could cube cut it. Or, put it up against something to stabilize it while keeping your fingers clear. :thumbup1:

You could cube cut it. Or, put it up against something to stabilize it while keeping your fingers clear. :thumbup1:

I've only recently begun cube cutting my plugs (love the results) so there are probably other ways of doing it that I haven't discovered yet, but as far as I can tell, flakes still need to be sliced off the plug before you can cube 'em. I like the idea of stabilizing it against something.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Pulling each layer off and stuffing it in a pipe can be a delicious option as well. ...There are so many ways to enjoy pipes and tobaccos.

When the plug gets small enough that I have to worry about cutting it, I just lay it down and start slicing off the short end. Easy cube cut.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So my 4 year old Stonehaven in the bag might be shot? it's in my cigar humi but...

Top Bottom