What's new

First shave off my first coticule edge

Well had my first shave and it tugged just a tad ( Barely noticeable but did notice ) I think the shave was almost as close as a JNAT but not quite there on my neck but heck it's my first outing and I also noticed that going ATG on my chin not as easy but again Rome was not built in a day.

I have several strops, ( Scruppleworks oil tanned with pasted linen ) TM Fast Bridle with flax linen, TM Spanish Bridle with flax linen and a Kanayama 70000, I honestly don't use the cotton on the Kanayama as I think is degrades my JNAT edge so i stick to the flax linen on another strop, some say the Kanayama is good to use on a coticule edge so mat try to strop on it next to see if it makes the coticule edge better.

I more than likely will go at this razor again and do a 4/8K then a light slurry on the coti and say do 10 mins on it then maybe another 10 on water only and then strop and see what i get, I have never done an HHT before stropping as I never get a good test.

IMG_6096.jpg

I have the kanayama and I don't use the linen as I personally don't get the results coming of coticules. Seems to me with out any doubt flax linen works for me and always has coming of coticules.

I think you should try water only after 4 k 8 k . Just strop after your 8 k flax leather and only if you have a good hht then move to coticule. With water and strop 60/60 and see if the hht has improved.

If your not happy go back to very light ,light slurry to water strop and test hht if happy shave.

Remember slurry the thicker it is the more it dulls as it cuts.

Gary, the first time out the slurry was somewhat thickish so the next outing will try your suggestions.

Gary is the best person to answer these questions.
I wouldn't use slurry after the 8k either as IME it will dull the edge.
Coticule garnets hit the edge head on do not break down. They'll definitely bring the razor to a lower level IMO.

Gary is the best person to answer these questions.
I wouldn't use slurry after the 8k either as IME it will dull the edge.
Coticule garnets hit the edge head on do not break down. They'll definitely bring the razor to a lower level IMO.

This is probably true in the majority of cases. But Garnet size in Coticule actually varies quite wildly. There is certainly plenty of Coticule out there where even freed garnets will be finer grit than the abrasive found in an 8K synthetic.
That said, I have yet to encounter a Coticule so slow that it required slurry off of an 8K synthetic.

The linen on my Kanayama 80,000 was like a board. I washed it in cold water with woolite and it softened up to be about like a linen on a vintage strop. Now I do use it and it works well. YMMV.

I did just that with my k linen, plus I worked a very worn out dmtc on the surface and it's ten times better and usable. I guess because I have a well worked Neil Miller linen I use that or whestholme linen.

Scrupleworks linen is very good as is waxed vintage linen and a.foam core poly that i started using about a year or.so ago from bigeasytools. I typically take an edge off a 10k suehiro to.various cotis(select, vintage nat combo lpb, and 2.lvs) on water and even on glycerin right after the 10k. These have produced the keenest off a yellow coti. Then theres the les lat hybrid that are a different animal altogether. They are all different as was said. Vigorous linen stropping helps alot as has been said as well. Regardless of what i do though i have never had that laser keen edge that i can get so easily from my jnats. Very nice sharp enough for sure! But most of.the time i want a stubble.plow. and the jnat shave lasts longer as well. I am only sharing what ive done on my stones.

Top Bottom