What's new

Sliding Down the Razor Blade of Life with Smattayu

Nice Shave Eric, I have that same Avon Decanter, LOL A SAMPLE of ENGLISH FERN?!!!

WE DONT NEED NO STEEEKINGG SAMPLES!! :001_tt2::cowboy: Great Photo as well

Nice Shave Eric, I have that same Avon Decanter, LOL A SAMPLE of ENGLISH FERN?!!!

WE DONT NEED NO STEEEKINGG SAMPLES!! :001_tt2::cowboy: Great Photo as well

LOL, thanks Dave! I actually came across that decanter sitting on a shelf in a side room in the basement of our Detroit center a couple months before I got into traditional wet shaving. I had forgotten all about it, but after I ordered my Merkur 34C I remembered it. I spent a few days trying to find out who it belonged to, but no one claimed it and they told me to just take it lol.

Nice shave Eric.

I've looked into the Shaving shop but not haven't tried a product yet. I know he commissions artisans to make the soaps, do you know which artisan makes each soap?

Great review of the soap Eric...add another to the list.

And I don't think YOU will be sorry about dipping your toes into the Pen's frag watering hole...but your wallet certainly might be! EF is a wonderful frag!!!

Good review! Nice picture! Love the razor decanter.

Thanks Craig!

Great review, Eric, and another excellent photo!

And way to go, Tom - you guessed it!

Thanks Chris! I was worried it might take someone a while to guess it. It's been a while since I'd used Adagio, but it remains my favorite B&M scent.

Great read Eric.

Thanks Walt.

Nice shave Eric.

I've looked into the Shaving shop but not haven't tried a product yet. I know he commissions artisans to make the soaps, do you know which artisan makes each soap?

Thanks Chad. I've been on the site several times but had yet to make a purchase. This particular formula is specific to The Club, which is something he just started recently, I believe, and is not tied to any particular artisan. He mentioned in a video that it is what they will be using from now on, though I'm sure he'll keep the current line up with the artisans attached to it as well. I know he's used Ginger's Garden, TTFFC, Soap Smooth, and Tiki Bar among others, and you can find out which he commissioned for each soap in the descriptions.

Great review of the soap Eric...add another to the list.

And I don't think YOU will be sorry about dipping your toes into the Pen's frag watering hole...but your wallet certainly might be! EF is a wonderful frag!!!

Thanks Josh! I know I'm going to love it, and that's why I've held off even looking in that direction for so long lol. But the sample was on the same page as one that I was getting to match yesterday's soap and I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the info Eric. Some scent have definitely intrigued me so I will need to keep any eye and pull the trigger one of these times.

Thanks for the info Eric. Some scent have definitely intrigued me so I will need to keep any eye and pull the trigger one of these times.

Once the AS gets here I can send you a sample of this one if you like. The scent is a bit out there but I really enjoy it.

Good shaves and read, Eric. Now I have another soap and brand to look into :D

Thanks Fred! There are always more soaps to check out lol

No shave today. Had to get going early and it was a long day bouncing back and forth at work. I'll use the set up that I had planned for yesterday tomorrow lol. Have a great night all!

Straight razor shave #212

Pre-shave: Ach Brito glyce lime
Brush: Shubbyu
Razor: J.R. Torrey shoulderless
Soap: Shaving Shop Club Hemingway 1898+1
Aftershave: Shaving Shop Club Hemingway 1898+1
EDP: Histoires de Parfum 1899

I think the last time I skipped a shave two days in a row was during November, precursor to the Day of the Hatchet lol. I'd been fighting off an ear and sinus infection for the final half of last week and yesterday a 24 hour bug was added to the mix, putting me on my back for almost the entire day. Whatever it was ran it course and took the infections with it, and I felt like a new man this morning. I knew that today's Mail Call would have a couple of items that I'm really excited about, and held off on the shave until they showed up which happened a couple hours ago. The mail call included the matching AS to the soap I used for my last shave, and a sample of the EDP they are based off of, Histoires de Parfum 1899. I grabbed them all, broke out Shubbyu, and retired to the shave den for some rejuvinating relaxation prior to heading in to work for the afternoon.

First off, this soap is seriously impressing me in the performance department. It was not quite as easy to lather with the large badger knot as it was with the Tuxedo synthetic, but the results were the same and I was swimming in excellent lather after another minute or two of working it. The Torrey mowed through the first pass of considerably more stubble than usual with it's characteristic pinging. The metal is quite thin down by the edge and it might be the loudest razor I own.

I've said before that residual slickness is not terribly important to me as long as there is enough to cover a moderate amount of blade buffing, but I think I have to revise that for the very few soaps that have enough residual slickness to do a water only pass. I didn't attempt it with Hemingway today, but I will certainly give it a go next time around since the residual slickness of this stuff is downright incredible. Three passes and a clean up left me with a heel clicking BBSG(HCBBSG?) and I'm just about to head to work with a spring in my step. Hemingway 1898+1 might very well be my One Soap in the middle of March Theme month in the soap forums.

The EDP today was Histoires de Parfum 1899, which is very similar to Spicebomb by Viktor&Rolf, but where I get considerable synthetic notes from SB, 1899 is natural all the way to my nose, and has a bit more vanilla with an Italian herb note in it that fits perfectly. Today's soap and AS are an almost identical match to this EDP, and I'll have to see how it performs the rest of the day but it might very well be bottle worthy. The final decision for that will be made once the sample is gone.

Also in the Mail Call was a sample(yes @skypsyd , you heard me:lol:) of Penhaligon's English Fern, and a 40ml bottle of Avlarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada, both of which I'm looking forward to trying in the next couple days.

No time for a pic today. Thanks for reading and have a great day all!

Nice shave and read. Glad you are feeling better. The sicknesses have been running rampant at my office. I have been keeping my office door shut and avoiding people. I don't want to get what they all have.

Great read Eric...now I'm definitely going to have to check this soap out after today's write up! Sounds like the day off prepped you for a wonderful shave!

Nice shave and read. Glad you are feeling better. The sicknesses have been running rampant at my office. I have been keeping my office door shut and avoiding people. I don't want to get what they all have.

Thanks Chad. We've run the full gamut of sicknesses at work as well, though I've managed to avoid most of them.

indeed I have

Good deal. I'll find a couple containers to put it in.

Great read Eric...now I'm definitely going to have to check this soap out after today's write up! Sounds like the day off prepped you for a wonderful shave!

Thanks Josh! There is something to be said for shaving every other day, but I normally can't bring myself to do it.

Great read, and glad you are well again. I'm intrigued with that soap.

Thanks Chris!

I'll see if I can dig out some small containers and get samples out to you guys. I have a feeling the scent will be very hit or miss, but the soap is worth checking out for performance alone IMO. I looked at the site a little while ago to see what else they had in that formula, and Hemingway is already out of stock and open for back orders lol.

Super good Reads and a great shave! With the wild swings in Temp we've had there are lots of folks with the creeping crud here! Koff Hack Wheeze!

Top Bottom