What's new

Handmade straight razors under $200

I'm looking for a new razor under $200 that is manufactured by a small business. So far, I've found Portland Razor and Jacob Ray that both have some pretty nice looking handmade razors. Who are some others I should look at? I know there are some that make amazing looking razors for $500+, but that's well out of my price range. Thanks!

You could also check out Jerry Stark. I think you can buy directly from him, or you can purchase from The Superior Shave. I have never tried one, but I have seen good reviews.

There is a guy on ebay in Europe called RigaRazor that is making some nice stuff. A year ago you could have gotten in at below $200 but I see that his prices have climbed beyond that. I've never had one of his razors, but some friends do, and they speak highly of his work.

Brian Brown, Jerry Stark, Jacob Ray, PRC...hard to beat their base razors. You can also go with a nice used custom if your patient as you can move up in quality for the same price.
Most custom owners dont use them much it seems so they are always in prestine condition most of the time.

I'm looking for a new razor under $200 that is manufactured by a small business. So far, I've found Portland Razor and Jacob Ray that both have some pretty nice looking handmade razors. Who are some others I should look at? I know there are some that make amazing looking razors for $500+, but that's well out of my price range. Thanks!

I would say it depends on what you mean by "handmade"
Some like myself offer a "production series" razor. It allows me to offer a razor at a lower starting point.
I grind it, HT it, scale it and hone it.... but there are other things ,like the basic shape and are set and can't be changed.
To me this is still a handmade razor.

Then there are custom razors, meaning within reason you get to pic all the options and the shape of the razor. That being said the price goes up on customs (as it should)

IMHO bother are handmade items but both have very different price points (and options)... it depends on what you're looking for, as to "if" you can find a handmade razor for $200
Hope that makes since

I would say it depends on what you mean by "handmade"
Some like myself offer a "production series" razor. It allows me to offer a razor at a lower starting point.
I grind it, HT it, scale it and hone it.... but there are other things ,like the basic shape and are set and can't be changed.
To me this is still a handmade razor.

Then there are custom razors, meaning within reason you get to pic all the options and the shape of the razor. That being said the price goes up on customs (as it should)

IMHO bother are handmade items but both have very different price points (and options)... it depends on what you're looking for, as to "if" you can find a handmade razor for $200
Hope that makes since

That's exactly what I'm looking for. It can be challenging having a Boker/Dovo budget but wanting to support an artisan. I'm glad to see these production razors from artisans and hope to have one soon! I'm glad that even in production razors Spanish point and Barber's notch are both options. Tough choices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI. There was a Jerry Stark 7/8 in pristine condition which sat on the BST for quite some time. Priced at about $139 last I remember. It's gone now. My suggestion is unless you are in a hurry, check the BST once or twice a day. Bargains can be had

I have several Brian Brown BRW razors. I can say that they are among the top shavers in my den, and affordably priced as well. You can build one with the options for under $200 in the 6/8" size, or pick one in the store today.

I'm down to Jacob Ray and Brian Brown. I've read a lot of good reviews on Brian's razors but will probably want to increase my budget to $250 to get the scales I want, and jimping. Jacob Ray has some sale prices right now that bring his production line under $200, but it's been harder for me to find reviews. Has anyone had much experience? So far, all I've found is that his more elaborate designs have scales so thick they are difficult to use.

Thanks!

Granted, his scales to look to be rather clunky. Price for a 6/8 half hollow is pretty competitive however. I have no first hand experience with a Jacob Ray razor though. I do know that my <$200 razors from Brian Brown and Ralf Aust are first rate. Actually I own more Ralf Aust razors (4) than any other. I have 2 by Mr. Brown and anticipate a third in the near future.

I have the Dovo Carpe Diem with the big torpedo scales. I am not sure how they compare size wise to Jacob Ray's, but I have become used to them. Granted it is my every day razor. If I switch it up, regular size scales seem small now. So If you like they way they look, the size might not be an issue for you. I should mention I have pretty big hands to begin with though.

I'm down to Jacob Ray and Brian Brown. I've read a lot of good reviews on Brian's razors but will probably want to increase my budget to $250 to get the scales I want, and jimping. Jacob Ray has some sale prices right now that bring his production line under $200, but it's been harder for me to find reviews. Has anyone had much experience? So far, all I've found is that his more elaborate designs have scales so thick they are difficult to use.

Thanks!

I haven't used one of Jacob's production line razors, so I can't speak directly for them. I did order a custom from him a little over 2 years ago and I think he was fairly new on the scene then. The scales on my razor were a little thick, but I think some of that may have been the design and the wood choice I made. The blade was a very well made "damascus" right to the shape I requested.

From the point of getting what I asked for, getting a quality product, and him being very pleasant to talk with and discuss exactly what I was getting, I would highly recommend him. But, as I said, I can't comment directly on his production line as they are still on my "to get" list.

Just the other day was checking out the production pieces on sale at Jacob Ray's store and they look pretty good value for money for hand made production pieces.
Probably would give many bigger scale machine/mass produced pieces a run for their money and be or comparable or better quality?

What do you guys think, in comparison, about Chris from Shave Smith, as well as Koraat Knives shavers? Home

Shave Smith ones are more pricey above that price range but look really good. Any reviews or experiences with his stuff?
And anyone tried making a custom with Koraat Knives before? =)

Just the other day was checking out the production pieces on sale at Jacob Ray's store and they look pretty good value for money for hand made production pieces.
Probably would give many bigger scale machine/mass produced pieces a run for their money and be or comparable or better quality?

What do you guys think, in comparison, about Chris from Shave Smith, as well as Koraat Knives shavers? Home

Shave Smith ones are more pricey above that price range but look really good. Any reviews or experiences with his stuff?
And anyone tried making a custom with Koraat Knives before? =)

I've never had a razor form Shave Smith in my hand.. so I can't give you any info. Overall, by the look of it, they seem well made. I believe he has a pretty big presence on another site.
Koraat (Ulrik) does really nice work. No question you will get a fine shaver from him.

Top Bottom