What's new

Scotch Recommendations

I am new to scotch drinking and drinking in general. As such I bought a custom tasting set from Master of Malt, the company is a pleasure to do business but does have some limitations. I wanted to try several different styles of scotch to help figure out what I like. So my tasting set contained dram samples, in order I drank them, of Balvenie Doublewood 12, Glendronach 12, Highland Park 12, Longrow Peated, and Laphroaig 10.

I really liked the Balveine, it had the spicy quality that I liked about Dewar's White Label but wasn't harsh like I found Dewar's to be and was much more drinkable. My favorite dram of the bunch.

The Glendronach 12 I hated and really found no redeeming qualities to it, which probably isn't that strange since I don't like Sherry. Though I have only had Sherry in food and have not drank any.

The Highland Park, I can definitely see why people call it a middle scotch and I found it to be not bad but not good either, certainly not great. What I don't like about Highland Park is that on the front end when you first sip some it reminded me of the Glendronach. But on the back end after swallowing the peat hits which I found interesting and appealing. I kind of see it as something I would retry in the future but would not buy a bottle of right know.

The Longrow Peated I like and I enjoyed the smokiness and complexity of the peat in the finish. The taste on the palate wasn't that great but the finish is what made this dram. It was good not great, it would be something I would buy and drink every now and then but not everyday.

The Laphroaig 10, initially I was intimidated simply by Laphroaig's reputation but after trying the Longrow I figured I would like it. I was right and while the two are different they are similar. As they should be being the closest of the five scotches I tried. As such everything I said about Longrow Peated is true of Laphroaig 10, good not great.

Here is how I would rate these five from best to worst.
1. Balvenie Doublewood 12
2. Laphroaig 10
3. Longrow Peated (very similar to Laphroaig I didn't really like it any more or less)
4. Highland Park 12
5. Glendronach 12

I will qualify everything I said is based off of one dram of each over several days which does have its limits.

With all that said what would you guys recommend I try next, maybe try some regions I haven't yet like the lowlands or a non peated Campbeltown, or maybe try some similar scotch to what I like?

Balvenie Doublewood 12 is my favorite non-Isley whisky. My favorite Scotch is Lagavulin 16 followed by Laphroaig 10. Laphroaig can be a little "in-your-face" if you're not a big Isley fan, Lagavulin while still smokey and peaty, is a little more balanced IMO.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think the OP would likely like Talisker. Obviously, he should examine other offerings from Islay (where Laphroaig comes from).

From the lowlands, Auchentostan ("OCK-en-TOSH-an") ... have I spelled that right? Whatever. Anyhow, that's a nice, subtle scotch if that's what you like.

Glenfarclas 15, to me, has a nice bourbon/rum tang to it.

I am about a year into whiskey drinking. Of all the Scotch I have had these are my favorites:

Macallan 18 (spendy but my favorite by far)

Glenmorangie 10

Johnnie Walker Double Black (peated blend of scotch, goes great with vanilla ice cream believe it or not)

Try Glenmorangie- They have a few offerings which would give you a nice highlands selection.

I am sort of moving toward Islays of late and Ardbeg Laphroaig Laguvalin are my current faves.

But Highlands are a good starter. Look to them depending on your taste.

For mild peat, well rounded Speysider try Benromach 10. Definitely try Talisker 10 for a medium level of peat (similar to HP12 but more peppery and plenty of seaweed/iodine), also Lagavulin 16 on the more heavily peated ended (I think it's more balanced than the Laph10).. both these whiskies are affordable and consistently good.

For an interesting non-peated Highlander I'd recommend the Old Pulteney 12.. lots of buttered toast, citrus and salt characters. (To me it always taste like home).

One other side note; don't be put off sherry cask matured whiskies completely on the basis of Glendronach 12.. I, like you, hated the Glendronach 12 and then had Aberlour 10 (also sherry cask matured) and hated that and assumed I must just not like sherry cask matured whiskies. However a few years down the track and I've tried a few more which I've found I like (Aberlour Abundah being one, Glenfarclas 105 plus some Australian "Apera" (new Australian term for fortified wines made in the Oloroso sherry style) matured whiskies including; Limeburners, Starward and Lark).

There are many examples of Double Matured/Doublewood (mix of sherry and bourbon cask matured whiskies) which have a more rounded flavour profile (Bushmills 10 is a double matured Irish malt whisky which you might enjoy. Bushmills "Black Bush" is a blended Irish whisky with a higher proportion of ex-sherry Cask matured whisky).

Also there are some great Port Cask matured whiskies including Glenmorangie 12 Quinta Ruban and Talisker Port Ruighe.

Highland Park is also Sherry casked. Is it possible that part of the reason you did like it is because of that?

I'd suggest you try Ardbeg if you are in the mood for more peat. Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites, but that is sherry casked as well.

I marked off what I could find that you tasted on a Scotch chart. It may help you pick your next dram.
soctch chart.jpg

I recommend Glenmorangie 18.

As an aside, a salesman from the local (GA) distributor once told me that Macallan is targeted toward the American, and not the Scottish, palate, which is why so many Americans like it. I can definitely see that myself.

+1 for Auchentoshan, Glenmorangie (original, Quinta Ruban, and Lasanta are all good drams), Glenfiddich, Ardbeg, and Lagavulin. There's so much out there to enjoy.

Also, Monkey Shoulder is a good blended malt. Not only a smooth one, but affordable as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Macallan 18. It's beautiful stuff, special occasion due to price imo. The 12 year is easier on the wallet and more of an everyday so to speak. Do yourself a favor and get one or four [emoji1]at Costco. The 18 is more than half the price and labeled under their Kirkland brand. It's the same stuff and you will see Macallan 18 on the label as well as Kirkland. If you are looking for smoked honey bliss this may be your huckleberry. Good luck. Cheers!

Glenmorangie Lasanta is kept in my rotation at all times. $45 per bottle, aged in sherry casks and ideal for whoever or afficionados. If you like sherry then try Macallan too.

I think everyone should try and have on hand Glenlivet 12. Glenlivet 21 Archive is my absolute favorite. Even better than the Glenlivet 25.

Man, i'm thirsty!

Welcome to a very expensive hobby. Enjoy

Glenmorangie Lasanta is kept in my rotation at all times. $45 per bottle, aged in sherry casks and ideal for whoever or afficionados. If you like sherry then try Macallan too.

I think everyone should try and have on hand Glenlivet 12. Glenlivet 21 Archive is my absolute favorite. Even better than the Glenlivet 25.

Man, i'm thirsty!

Welcome to a very expensive hobby. Enjoy

Gvillepa, Lasanta is a great dram, and I also enjoyed the Duthac (rich sweet with medium spice) :)

OP since you enjoyed Balvenie, give Glenfiddich 14 a try. I also think you would like several offerings by Macallan, as well as Compass Box "Oak Cross," which is a blended malt using three types of Highland whiskies.

As for myself, I stick to Islay mostly :D

Seems as though you like the smokey, peat flavor. If so, you should try

Ardbeg 10

I don't care for the heavy peat flavor so I drink

Glenmorangie 10, and especially Macallan Gold. Very smooth!

Seems as though you like the smokey, peat flavor. If so, you should try

Ardbeg 10

I don't care for the heavy peat flavor so I drink

Glenmorangie 10, and especially Macallan Gold. Very smooth!

+1 Ardbeg 10
Love me them smoky peat bombs! If I want something smooth and more on the sweeter side, I go to good 'ol American bourbon.

Lots of great advice here - including not throwing the baby (sherry casks) out with the bathwater of Glendronach. :001_cool:

It is also good to keep in mind that a single tasting is not always a be-all-and-end-all marker of how one is going to feel about a dram. So many factors come into play... including what you've eaten/drank prior. I've experienced this both ways... I purchased an affordable, "every day" blend that I tried at a tasting (the distillery putting on the tasting was one of the single malts that went into it) because it struck me as really great for a blend - and I am pretty much exclusively a single malt guy. Whatever I liked about it that night will not come back to me, and that bottle is gonna sit in my cabinet until I come up with a mix recipe that it will taste good in!
On the other side of it, I bought a bottle of the Longrow Peated on reputation only, and was not particularly fond of it. (And I'm a serious peat-head). But I've continued to go back to it, and now as there's about 1/4 of the bottle left I am really enjoying it! This could be due to my palette or the scotch "opening up" as more oxygen gets to it - I don't know... but I do know if I'd tried only a dram of it at a bar I might not have bought a bottle. I guess this is the adventure of scotches!

I would second the advice of trying Talisker for a peat that isn't quite as "punch you in the face" as Laphroaig. The Lagavulin 16 is also a good thought - very peated, but incredibly balanced and smooth. Another great one I don't think I saw mentioned is Bruichladdich's Port Charlotte... essentially a peated version of their Classic Laddie. Very, very good.

What do you like? Try them from the regions and hone in on what you enjoy. Do you like; peat, smoke, grass, seaweed, fruit, sweetness, nuts, tobacco, with a cigar or sweet ice tea? The beauty of single malts is targeting what you crave at the time. On a cool fall evening or a warm summer afternoon.

Try a bunch, make notes, and hone in.

Enjoy!

Tom

Top Bottom