What's new

What have you concluded from your shaving hobby?

Over the time you spent wet shaving most of us here have tried at least several razors and several brushes and so forth. What are some of the conclusions you have come to.
For example myself:
I have concluded that I prefer synthetic brushes over all others.
I prefer using a soap shaving stick to using a bowl.
The Artist Club type blades are sharper and smoother than all other types.

I have trouble with synthetics,
I'm not a fan of Proraso or Arko,
I definitely was not chosen by Clubman,
My tastes/wants are bigger than my wallet,
I really enjoy this whole shaving chore now,
I actually like bay rum and really like sandalwood,
I turned out to be more generous than I thought I was,
Seems after all I really can keep my mouth shut and my language polite,
There actually IS a place on the internet worth going,
There are a lot of really awesome people outside of my little corner of nowhere.

My only real conclusion is that I should have kept looking for a better soap and brush 20 years ago, rather than just using my hand to lather and whatever came around off of the shelf :)

DE shaving didn't start out as a hobby but as a way of life but now that it has become a hobby and having many razors (only using a few) brushes and soaps. I have 3 favorite razors, my Dads Fatboy, The Slim that I started out with and my Weber PG Classic handle, Oh and the Gem Micromatic OC and the 1912, the rest are rarely used. I like a hard soap in a bowl. As for brushes I have different kinds that i like to use.

I found this site looking for shoe advice and have concluded that even though I've shaved like this for years and have no tequnique issues that I don't know chit. I never put much thought into it because i didn't know any better. I used clubman pucks as well as proraso tubes because that's what the local barber sold and never considered anything else. I've since made a trip to maggard razors and picked up a bunch of new items for the wife and kids as well as a tub of soap commander for myself. I have a renewed outlook on this whole thing and view it differently than I ever have because to me it was more of a chore than a ritual. I will say this and I stand by it. I've used every blade known to man as my barber gave me sample after sample for years and although not well liked here the best blades for me and I have at least 500 of each have always been sharks and Dorcos. Anything else is sham wow lol. I know blades make a difference somewhat but not as much as knowing your razor and how to angle it. To all the folks using a new blade and razor every other day, perform an experiment where you use a blade you haven't been fond of and stick with that and the same handle for 2 weeks and see if your opinion doesn't change. Now some blades just aren't operator friendly and for me that was feather but that's pretty much the only blade I really have issues with.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
That my pursuit of perfection knows no bounds - often not a good thing.
That nothing is too good for me.
That the SOC boar is my favorite brush.
That I currently seem to prefer soaps, but I don't know why. I get great shaves with Castle Forbes and it's easier/quicker to lather.
I don't travel with my Wolfman, but the thing I miss the most when away is my G12 scuttle.
That I'm getting more and more in the minimalist camp as I stray almost never from my favorites.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have trouble with synthetics,
I'm not a fan of Proraso or Arko,
I definitely was not chosen by Clubman,
My tastes/wants are bigger than my wallet,
I really enjoy this whole shaving chore now,
I actually like bay rum and really like sandalwood,
I turned out to be more generous than I thought I was,
Seems after all I really can keep my mouth shut and my language polite,
There actually IS a place on the internet worth going,
There are a lot of really awesome people outside of my little corner of nowhere.
Nicely put!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1. Shaving isn't one of my hobbies. It's simply part of my personal grooming regimen.
  2. I prefer synthetic and badger brushes. Boar, not so much, and haven't used horsehair.
  3. No soap/cream preference. I get good results with all that I've tried: TOBS, RazoRock, Maggard, Captain's Choice, Arko, Kiss My Face. Even "canned goo" if it's well-shaken.
  4. I prefer single-edge razors (Artist Club style) and double-edge slants, in that order.
  5. Feather Artist Club Professional and Kai Captain Mild single-edge blades, and Feather and Kai double-edge blades. Every other blade I've used - and there are many - works, but not nearly as well.

Last edited:
What I have learned:
1 - After converting to wet shaving 2 years ago, it is no longer a chore. It's my ME time
2 - I don't like synthetic brushes
3 - My mood can be detected by the soap I use that day
4 - My neck sucks to shave lol
5 - There are MANY fine soap makers out there, however, I take some small measure of pride sticking to small American businesses, Stirling, B & M, Chiseled Face, Sudsy Soapery. The only foreign made soap I use is Haslinger Schafmilch, everything else is from a US maker

1. DE Shaving is now a pleasure, never a chore
2. DE shaving instils self discipline - I get up at 7am - just to make time to shave
3. Sometimes I'll have a lie in at weekends - most of the time I'll get up at 7am so I can have a shave
4. I like my horsehair brush best, although I like my badger, synthetic silvertip and horsehair/boar mix brushes too
5. I prefer bowl lathering with hard soap, but I also enjoy face lathering with Proraso soap, and cream makes a nice change in summer when I shave with cold water

1. Shaving is now a daily pleasure.
2. I really enjoy variety with brushes, soaps, AS, blades, etc!
3. B&B is the best place on the net!

1. I enjoy shaving now.
2. I can shave with any razor, soap, blade, or brush,... fancy and/or expensive are meaningless when it comes to shaving.

1. I was right to never try an electric razor in the past 42 years.
2. I was very, very wrong to never try a hard soap and brush in the past 42 years.
3. I was wrong to throw money away buying Gillette Fusion cartridges.
4. I was wrong not to do a little online research on shaving at least 5 years ago.

I've concluded that my ability to increase the longevity of my blades (Excalibur Club) is at odds with my desire to purchase more blades.

Proraso and face lathering works for me. Any brush works. A thin head like Old style Open Comb works best for a DE and most any 6/8" works in a straight. Small $30 hones work just as well as a houseful of hones.

Top Bottom