What's new

Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon

I've been shooting every fashion of flint and percussion pistol, rifle and revolver going back to the 70's but took a long hiatus due to family and kids. Got the itch recently to get back into cap n' ball and got an Uberti 3rd model Dragoon.

Finally got it to the range this a.m. for about 24 shots. To give you some background, the very early reproduction percussion revolvers (mainly Italian manufactured) were seldom rifled deeply enough to properly grip dead soft lead round balls and the finish of the rifling often exhibited tool marks and other roughness that is inevitably an accuracy killer.

Fast forward to today, the last several Uberti models I've purchase show vastly improved rifling. It's both deeper and faster twist (better for stabilizing long conicals). The results of today's shoot validate the over all quality improvement Uberti is putting on the market. Using 43 gr FFFg Goex black powder, a lubed felt over powder wad and .457" round balls, my last group of the morning put 5 out of 6 shots into a ragged hole @15 yards benched.

Have to add that in order to shoot I have to wear an eye patch on my right eye because of a cataract (hopefully to be removed next month), so essentially I'm shooting right handed and aiming left eyed.

For those not familiar, this revolver is an Italian manufactured reproduction of the Colt Third Model Dragoon, originally manufactured by Colt in the range of about 1851 to 1860 or so. The series began with the 1st model in 1848, followed by the 2nd model shortly there after.

They are 4 pound, .44 caliber, 6 shot revolvers designed originally to be used by mounted troops ("Dragoons") and transported in saddle holsters, and were considered an improvement over the Colt Walker model that preceded them. Their use was widespread in both the military as well as civilian communities virtually to the era the percussion system was considered obsolete. They were the most powerful handguns in common use in their era, capable of a max load of 50 grains powder under a lead ball.

The overall quality of contemporary Uberti repro's is top notch, and the shooting results confirm it!

proxy.php

That is a nice report and summary of Uberti's improved quality. Black powder is fun to shoot, for sure. Always gets attention at the range.

I love hearing about older firearms, especially those used in the 19th century. Thanks for the overview.

Sent via mobile - Chris

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Very nice pistola! I have an Italian repro of the same pistol, probably late '70s vintage. Not nearly as nice as yours. It certainly has shallow rifling and mediocre accuracy. It's been years since I touched her off. May need to rectify that someday soon, need to restock on ball, caps and FFF powder though.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Nice indeed. The are much more pricy these days, nice to see quality is up as well.

What grease? I used to use Crisco, liberally (yuck).

I still have an 1858 Remington Army; forget who made it, but luckily it shoots .452s. I ought to load it with my Keith-style slugs just for fun ...

Always wanted the Walker/Dragoon. Magnum of its day.

My Army used about 25 grains of FFFg - one .38 Special case full, used as a measure.

AA

This is good news. About 20 years ago I had an Uberti Colt Walker replica I shot quite a bit and wound up selling it, not because I didn't like it but just because I wanted something different at the time.

I've been thinking lately of replacing it. I never had any issues with my old one, but I'm glad to hear the new offerings are an improvement.

Thanks for the report/review, Highspeedlane!

That's what Matti Ross carried in True Grit.

I've been looking at Uberti's line, wondering if it'd actually get enough use to justify a purchase.

I really like the build quality of today's Uberti's. The only thing I'm experimenting with on this one is trying to lower the point of impact by lowering the height of the hammer nose and recutting the sight notch (have a spare hammer as well in the event I want to restore it).

I'm visiting my family in N.C. this May and one of my best friend's there is also a BP aficionado and we are no doubt going to be vaporizing profuse quantities of 3F.

Tell you what though...after you've had a Dragoon in your hands for any length of time, when you pick up a '60 Army it's as if the thing were a pocket pistol!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Do most of the indoor ranges let you shoot cap and ball? I have never seen anyone do it at the two ranges I shoot at.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just *billowing* clouds of stinky smoke would result ... guys at my range made some BP of their own, "Confederate-style," out of locally sourced nitrites. "Smelled like you blew up an outhouse," was one wag's comment.

AA

Lane; does that thing have a stock notch; can you put a shoulder stock on it?

Would be cool / have seen them / I would do.

@Highspeedlane

AA

Yep, it's cut for a shoulder stock. As far as my research goes that is the only thing not historically accurate about the Uberti 3rd model...as consensus was that all shoulder stock models had the three leaf barrel mounted rear sight. No biggie here though.

Do most of the indoor ranges let you shoot cap and ball? I have never seen anyone do it at the two ranges I shoot at.
Around here one does, the rest do not, so you may need to make some phone calls. Otherwise, any outdoor range will likely allow it, so find one with pistol lanes and you'll be good to go.

Greetings everyone. I have cataract surgery this Wednesday (first right eye, then two weeks later my left eye) and hope to get my shooting vision back. It's excruciating to not be able to hit the range (my vision currently is terrible and I have to aim with my left eye holding right handed).

With any luck there will be a dramatic improvement in the coming weeks!

Top Bottom