What's new

Sig P238

I am considering a Sig P 238, 380acp for concealed carry. Does anyone have any experience with one?
Both my wife and I carry the Sig P 238. Very accurate and feels like a minature Colt Model 1911. Nice angle of the grip and just a great feel. I am 84 and my wife is 82. We're shaky but determined.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Both my wife and I carry the Sig P 238. Very accurate and feels like a minature Colt Model 1911. Nice angle of the grip and just a great feel. I am 84 and my wife is 82. We're shaky but determined.

Determination is the greatest qualifier. :)

I'm 71, the wife 74 and I am happy with both the 938 and 238. I am amazed at how light the recoil feels, the 938 seemingly has less recoil than an old Walther PPK in .380. My wife has rather advanced arthritis so I got a 22 conversion kit for the 938 and it's a honey. She has not tried it yet, but will on our next outing. My only problem is that I consistently hit a little low and left on a target, maybe a couple of inches at 7-10 yards, but I know that's me pushing the gun and need a lot of practice.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My only problem is that I consistently hit a little low and left on a target, maybe a couple of inches at 7-10 yards, but I know that's me pushing the gun and need a lot of practice.

Not necessarily alot of practice... Maybe just refining and readjusting a few things. Are you right handed? Sounds like you are pushing the gun, but you might be pushing it with your trigger finger. Try holding the gun with your left hand and only using your right hand to pull the trigger. In other words, It takes a purposeful and trained thought, not to squeeze the gun's grip with your right hand. Squeezing the gun with the strong hand, tenses the trigger finger which will instead of just pulling the trigger to the rear, it will also push your muzzle, left & low.

Hold the grip with your right, but no squeezing pressure. Keep your right hand and trigger finger relaxed. When you wrap your left supporting hand around the gun and over your right hand, making sure that your left thumb, is resting along the left side of the gun's frame, with the thumb pointing down range towards your target.

Then, upon firing the gun, squeeze with the supporting left hand, while keep the right hand loose and relaxed. Now corrected, the trigger finger will also be relaxed and will pull the trigger to the rear and won't push the muzzle left and low.

While this is easier to think about when not shooting, it does take practice, but only to train the mind to concentrate on squeezing with the left while relaxing the right. Once the shooting starts and your mind is busy with what's happening downrange, it's easy to start squeezing with the right, because the trigger finger is moving. It kinda feels like scratching your head while rubbing your belly at the same time at first, concentrating on this, but seeing the improved groups and accuracy, will push you to success.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not necessarily alot of practice... Maybe just refining and readjusting a few things. Are you right handed? Sounds like you are pushing the gun, but you might be pushing it with your trigger finger. Try holding the gun with your left hand and only using your right hand to pull the trigger. In other words, It takes a purposeful and trained thought, not to squeeze the gun's grip with your right hand. Squeezing the gun with the strong hand, tenses the trigger finger which will instead of just pulling the trigger to the rear, it will also push your muzzle, left & low.

Hold the grip with your right, but no squeezing pressure. Keep your right hand and trigger finger relaxed. When you wrap your left supporting hand around the gun and over your right hand, making sure that your left thumb, is resting along the left side of the gun's frame, with the thumb pointing down range towards your target.

Then, upon firing the gun, squeeze with the supporting left hand, while keep the right hand loose and relaxed. Now corrected, the trigger finger will also be relaxed and will pull the trigger to the rear and won't push the muzzle left and low.

While this is easier to think about when not shooting, it does take practice, but only to train the mind to concentrate on squeezing with the left while relaxing the right. Once the shooting starts and your mind is busy with what's happening downrange, it's easy to start squeezing with the right, because the trigger finger is moving. It kinda feels like scratching your head while rubbing your belly at the same time at first, concentrating on this, but seeing the improved groups and accuracy, will push you to success.

^^^ What he said.

Also...if you are shooting two handed (that's why God gave you two hands) you may be increasing the grip pressure with your left hand at the moment of fire (which will pull your shots to the left), along with anticipating recoil and pushing the weapon downwards. Keep a good, firm, equal grip pressure with both hands (but not a death squeeze where you are shaking) all the way through the trigger pull. At the moment of fire the weapon going off should surprise you a bit if you are doing the trigger pull correctly.

Just my 2 cents worth, and Rob has a very valid point on the trigger finger thingy. Rob knows what he is talking about...most of the time. :001_tongu

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Edit: @mike, Could be why you shoot Glocks and I shoot revolvers, sooooo damn badly? ;)

I think you have a good point there, Rob.

Hey, Rob's right on this one! :001_smile I've never been that great at shooting the injection molded, burnt cheez-whiz guns. :lol:

Although the equal grip pressure and don't anticipate recoil wurks fer me on both double action revolvers and single action 1911s.

Your's and mine posts are just a couple of things for him to try...one of them should work. The Sig is a hammer fired one and not a striker fired one though. Although I've never shot a Sig, they are real metal.

Last edited:
Pretty sure, both of our contradicting posts, just confused the hell out of him... :)

Jeff is a smart guy, he'll get it figured out...

I realize what I am doing, just need enough practice to change habits and develop better muscle memory for the task.

I am considering a Sig P 238, 380acp for concealed carry. Does anyone have any experience with one?

I'm not a fan of the caliber, and choose to carry a snub in .38spl +p as my pocket gun. However, my father has 2 Sig P238's and they are great little pistols. I've probably run at least 500 rounds through them and they have been rock solid reliable and have really good triggers. I'm a huge fan of 1911's, and therefore like the platform.

Cheers.

I'm not a fan of the caliber, and choose to carry a snub in .38spl +p as my pocket gun. However, my father has 2 Sig P238's and they are great little pistols. I've probably run at least 500 rounds through them and they have been rock solid reliable and have really good triggers. I'm a huge fan of 1911's, and therefore like the platform.

Cheers.
Try a 938, it's 9mm and only about 1/2 inch longer, and grip is a little wider, front to back, otherwise just about identical.

Try a 938, it's 9mm and only about 1/2 inch longer, and grip is a little wider, front to back, otherwise just about identical.
I prefer a J Frame as a pocket gun rather than a little semi-auto. I find that although the revolver is wider at the cylinder, it tends to hide better on me because it makes for a rounded shape in the pocket holster. Second, I tried one of my father's P238's in a pocket holster for a week to see what I thought, and the amount of lint on all the moving parts made me a bit more confortable with the simplicity of the revolver. I have fired a P938 and liked it more than the Springfield XD-S and M&P Shield I tried at the same range session. Again, something about the 1911 feel...

Top Bottom