What's new

Razorock Stainless Hawk compared to Asylum RX

I'm looking at all these New SE razors and this is really poking my RAD. These two seem very similar since they both use the Feather blades. I know the Stainless Hawk is new so maybe someone with the aluminium model can chime in.

Are these two razors similar? The price on the Hawk seems reasonable compared to the Asylum, is the price difference justifiable?

I did a review back in October which compared the original Chrome Hawk and the Asylum RX (and the ES Claymore which currently is in revision). Anyway, the link is here:

Feather Face-off

Short answer, both are good shavers but mostly because the Feather AC blade is a great blade. Don't know if the SS Hawk will shave better than the AL ones. It will be heavier, but so would putting a brass handle on the AL Hawk.

I decided to pass on the SS Hawk and wait for the brass General (well up until the time it becomes available again and then who knows).

Thanks, Sorry I missed your review, Heading over to read it now.

I did a review back in October which compared the original Chrome Hawk and the Asylum RX (and the ES Claymore which currently is in revision). Anyway, the link is here:

Feather Face-off

Short answer, both are good shavers but mostly because the Feather AC blade is a great blade. Don't know if the SS Hawk will shave better than the AL ones. It will be heavier, but so would putting a brass handle on the AL Hawk.

I decided to pass on the SS Hawk and wait for the brass General (well up until the time it becomes available again and then who knows).

I have both, the RX and the chrome Hawk (not the new SS model)
I believe YMMV, there is no comparison between the two.
The Hawk is a mild SE that will give you a DFS in 2-3 passes with a super pro, while the RX will give you a BBs in two passes. As I've already said, the RX feels like a str8 on a handle and I cannot use it even with a pro. I shave with the Kai MG and it's still aggressive.
The Hawk is my mildest SE and I don't use it anymore as I like medium aggressiveness and perk it up or tone it down with the different blades.
I don't know how the new Hawk shaves being heftier, but I used to put on the chrome one a heavier handle to start with. IMHO one can do better with the General or the Rocnel SE50 (if mechanically inclined). Also, I'm among those who love the half DE blade SE Rocnel and I have both the OC & CC in my den.

Go with the RX---far closer,easier BBS and the longevity of the BBS is unsurpassed by any razor I have ever used. No buyers remorse here and the RX is 1 razor I will always own and use.

I only have two SE's in my den, a OneBlade and the RX. Two more opposite razors don't exist. Never tried a Hawk. And after using the RX, never will try a Hawk or any other SE. The shave that I get from the RX is practically straight razor like. I found my go to 7 days a week razor, the RX. Simply put, the finest shaving instrument these hands and face have felt. Ever.

I only have two SE's in my den, a OneBlade and the RX. Two more opposite razors don't exist. Never tried a Hawk. And after using the RX, never will try a Hawk or any other SE. The shave that I get from the RX is practically straight razor like. I found my go to 7 days a week razor, the RX. Simply put, the finest shaving instrument these hands and face have felt. Ever.
You said the RX is straight rape like. Is there a lot of blade feel like other aggressive razors?

My favorite is the Colonial General. It is a nice mild and when paired with the Feather single edge blades it is fantastic!

You said the RX is straight rape like. Is there a lot of blade feel like other aggressive razors?
That's hard to say and describe amigo. I do like more blade feel when I shave. So if you equate that to being a more aggressive shave, perhaps that's the case. But I straight shave on occasion and I don't say that my straight razor feels more aggressive than any other razor, it just feels efficient and super smooth and sharp. That's why I stated that the RX gives me that straight razor shave feel with a safety razor type handle and head. The best of both worlds. Now , you just don't grab a straight razor and just whack away, same for the RX. Technique and proper angle on the RX will give you a sublime shave and experience with great blade feel and smoothness.... Hope that gives you a better idea.

My favorite is the Colonial General. It is a nice mild and when paired with the Feather single edge blades it is fantastic!
Excellent. I can't give you an answer on the General, I don't own one. And probably never will. But it's got a good rep so far. And in the end, it works for you, and that's all that matters....

Thanks for the comments.
The only modern SE I have used was the Mongoose. So the Hawk would be similar to the Mongoose and the RX would be a totally different head design?

Feather Face-off

At the end of the day, which of the 2 would you keep, regardless of price?

Now this is interesting! Why?
The General is a domed head razor much like a DE and because of that it allows for different angles to be used. It is also light and very maneuverable. The Hawk is a chiseled head and doesn't allow much different angles (well it does, but you would really prefer to use the one it gives you if you want a good shave). The RX head is heavier and wider and you need to be careful in how you shave with it. Being careful and attentive will produce the best shave of anything else out there, but sometimes you just want a good shave without the effort. The General will do that and with a little more effort, it will produce a shave almost as good as an RX.

I know the original question was "regardless of price", but I cannot fully leave the price out of it. As I point out in a lot of my shaving comparison reviews (and in this case) - the RX cost 3x the price of the General. Does it give me 3x a better shave? I am anxiously waiting for the Brass General to be released because the only thing I don't like about the current General is that it is way too light and I had to swap out the handle after the second shave.

The General is a domed head razor much like a DE and because of that it allows for different angles to be used. It is also light and very maneuverable. The Hawk is a chiseled head and doesn't allow much different angles (well it does, but you would really prefer to use the one it gives you if you want a good shave). The RX head is heavier and wider and you need to be careful in how you shave with it. Being careful and attentive will produce the best shave of anything else out there, but sometimes you just want a good shave without the effort. The General will do that and with a little more effort, it will produce a shave almost as good as an RX.

I know the original question was "regardless of price", but I cannot fully leave the price out of it. As I point out in a lot of my shaving comparison reviews (and in this case) - the RX cost 3x the price of the General. Does it give me 3x a better shave? I am anxiously waiting for the Brass General to be released because the only thing I don't like about the current General is that it is way too light and I had to swap out the handle after the second shave.
Fair enough. I understand the thought process behind your reasoning. And in the end, you might be right that the price must be considered when evaluating and determining the level of a shave is close, close enough or just as close as said razor. Pricing should and will always be a factor. It's only logical. Here's my case and why for me the RX is the razor to have.

I believe that the best shave a man can give himself is with a straight razor. There is no other tool on this Earth that can provide the quality and smoothness that a honed piece of hardened steel can provide. It's the only razor in which you can see the actual contact point of the steel meeting your skin and you control the level of aggressiveness. No other razor can do that. Now, it requires a specific set of skills and technique to master the art of the straight shave. Dexterity and time are crucial in learning this skill. But I must admit, it is not practical for the everyday shaver, myself included. Just don't have the time and it's easier and faster to use a DE, or an SE to get a good enough shave and be satisfied with it. The RX changed that for me. It's the only razor that I have used that compares in quality, feel, and performance to an actual straight. For in essence, that's what the RX is, only it has a DE handle. A straight like shave in under 15 minutes is almost a revalation, for me at least.

Ultimately, your point in pricing is a true and fair assessment. Anything over $100 is nothing to sneeze at, and you can achieve a great and comfortable shave by spending much less. Spending $230? That's not chump change. But looking at it and holding it is something else. Worth it? Yes.

Top Bottom