What's new

CPAP Users Club - Discussion of life with CPAP, equipment reviews, tips.

F10 - Didn't see they had a new version out, gonna definitely try it.

Hey Bill, I got my F20 today. First night with it tonight. I did test fit it this afternoon and I like how it felt. The magnetic helper on the headgear clasp is a nice touch. The headgear seems comfortable. Tightened down sufficiently to prevent leaks (moderately tight), it seem to be pretty forgiving of movement, but the real test will be overnight. I'll post a sleepyhead screenshot tomorrow after trying it and report on how it went.

Now I need to go shave so I have a nice clean face to give the mask a fair shot.

I used my newly acquired Resmed F20 mask last night. Overall, I'm happy with it. The seal is quite good, and my overall leaks were very good (see SleepyHead screen shot below). I had one period near morning where I struggled a bit with some leaks while trying to get more comfortable on my side. This was more about trying to get comfortable generally, not because of waking up with leaks. I have the medium cushion, and I think I might need the large. It was a toss-up on the sizing when I used the sizing template - right between medium and large. I sometimes feel my Mirage Quattro is a bit too big in the large size, so I went with the medium here. The good thing is that unlike the Quattro, I don't have to buy a new mask frame with the F20. The small, medium and large cushions all fit on the same frame.

The headgear is pretty good. I wish the straps were wider. I did at one point feel a bit of discomfort with the pressure on one spot just above my neck. I'll see how that does over time. I might need to pad that a bit to spread out the force. At 16.5cmH20 you really don't have much choice but to tighten things down to keep leaks at bay. It will hold pressure with looser straps as long as I don't move :).

For the one period where I had some leaking trouble, the primary failure mode was the mask riding up and leaking near my mouth when I opened it. I'm pretty sure this is a mask size issue. The mask seal is landing just right below my lip. When my mouth opens, it almost rides up onto my lip a bit. I think this really should land at the chin crease. I think I sized the mask with my mouth closed, and that was probably a mistake. I like the fact there is no forehead bar, but at the same time dislike it :). I do feel like there's a bit more pressure on the nose bridge, which is something I could more or less dial out with the Quattro and its adjustable forehead piece. I may just have things too tight up there, and the mask riding up probably makes that worse. Again, I'll see how it goes with the large cushion. If all else fails, I might need one of those straps that attaches to the bottom head gear and goes under the chin to keep it from riding up. We'll see.

The exhaust on this mask is not as quiet as my Quattro, but it's not annoying enough that I can't sleep. The Quattro is exceptional on this front, so not too surprised. The vent is kind of unique on this mask. Its a bunch of very tiny holes in a radial pattern surrounding the hose inlet on the mask frame. As such, it's well distributed. If you sleep on your side toward your spouse they'll appreciate this. I did need to be careful not to block the vent, however. I tend to have the covers up sort of high, so I'll just need to get used to this. I don't think I was ever in any danger of actually blocking the airflow enough to matter, but it does get louder and blows air back on you if the covers are hovering over the vent area. Again, the Quattro is unique on this as the vent is up near the top of the mask.

All in all, it's a very good mask. The seal is a noticeable improvement over the cushion on the Quattro, and way better than the Philips Amara View that I went home with (leaks like crazy at my pressure and with my nose). I'm very happy to have no nose leaks. Those are the most annoying to me. I'll have play around with mask fit. I'll need to watch the nose area to make sure I don't have it too tight. The silicone on that part of the mask has a softer texture than the bottom part (this is intentional), so I think it should be fine, but I'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure I don't have any issue with my skin there. It was a bit red there this morning - probably a sign I've got it too tight up there.

$FPTalbN.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review, really think I'll order one in couple months when I'm due.

I get a kick out of Sleepyhead, it shows my leaks, the Dr's ResMed software also shows leaks, but always shows zero for me. She has gone so far as to argue with me when I complain of leaks... I took her a screen shot once, she couldn't explain. I don't know why the disparity between the software.

Nice review, really think I'll order one in couple months when I'm due.

I get a kick out of Sleepyhead, it shows my leaks, the Dr's ResMed software also shows leaks, but always shows zero for me. She has gone so far as to argue with me when I complain of leaks... I took her a screen shot once, she couldn't explain. I don't know why the disparity between the software.

That's weird on the leaks..not sure why Resmed wouldn't show it. If you're really curious about it there is a person on one of the cpap forums (cpaptalk.com) that has the Resmed software, and can probably figure it out. They have username Pugsy. You can just zip up the files on the SD and card and send to them. If you'd like me to introduce you privately, let me know. BTW, what machine are you using? Some machines report total air flow and those can be pretty accurate in SH. Some others try to just report their own interpretation of leaks, and that can be somewhat less accurate because the machines generally have no way to set mask exhaust rate over pressure. You really have to know what the mask native exhaust rate is for the machine to accurately display leaks. SH can do that very well as it has a mask exhaust curve setting..but if the machine doesn't provide the total air flow, it has to use the machines stats.

For those using nasal pillows what ones do you like best? I am needing to replace mine sometime soon. Currently have the resmed. Swift ii nasal pillows and headgear.

For those using nasal pillows what ones do you like best? I am needing to replace mine sometime soon. Currently have the resmed. Swift ii nasal pillows and headgear.

Hey kev. I have just begun to try out Nasal Pillows (and Nasal masks generally), as I started out with a FFM. I swore that I could never make a nasal mask work, but I've proven myself wrong, and that's a great thing, because these nasal mask are just incredibly comfortable by comparison to FFMs. I'm currently using the Resmed Airfit P10, and I really like it. But, I've not tried any other nasal pillows. I'm still getting used to the pillows and my nose is a bit bruised feeling. I use Lanisoh on my nose each night before bed and it's prevented any kind of chaffing. The headgear on the P10 is pretty simplistic, and it's a one size fits all sort of thing. It has a single strap with sort of two branches that you can separate. Separating the straps loosens the fit, putting them together tightens it. There's not a lot of range though. I have a huge head, so it's pretty tight, but it's fine. I hear that recently this mask includes some clips that allow you to make the mask tighter, in the case that your head is too small for the headgear as-is. All in all, I love the P10. The seal is just perfect..but maybe they're all like that as compared to an FFM!

I think I will next try the Philips Nuance/Nuance Pro gel nasal pillows to see how they are. I've seen some good reviews of those.

I have heard rumors of a Resmed Airfit P20 pillows mask coming out, but nothing official. Rumors say that if they did anything to this very popular pillows it would be to add an adjustable headgear, instead of the one size fits all.

Another CPAP user on board. My machine is over ten years old so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but I do love it so. It is a Philips Remstar Series M (discontinued). My favorite mask has also been discontinued by Philips and it took me a few months to get adjusted to the new model. I searched high and low online for some of the old masks but had no luck.

I purchased a SoClean CPAP cleaning system last year. Jury is out but I am liking so far. Certainly cuts down on the daily maintenance.

Hoping to squeeze in a sleep study this year so I can get a new machine. I don't know how much longer my machine will keep trucking on. If the machine did up and die I would be in a world of hurt.

As mentioned, if you do get a new prescription, ask your doctor to make it lifetime so you don't have to do this again. That won't help with any insurance requirements that you might have with regard to sleep studies, but do you really need insurance here? If you have a high deductible it may be just as good to get the unit on your own from one of the Internet cpap stores. A new PR Remstar Bi-Pap goes for about $1295 at such places like cpap.com, etc. Better yet, if you're willing to do a used unit, you can get a bi-pap unit for $400-$600 at secondwind cpap ( http://www.secondwindcpap.com/Used_CPAP.html ).

Sorry I have not replied to the forum, but I went to the Hospital for an Echocardiogram and they also added contrast to the procedure. I was having trouble breathing and of course the nurse would not let me leave and took me to the ER. I spent the next ten days in the hospital. So now I am on oxygen I have COPD. That's what I get for smoking for 35 plus years.(Chesterfield Cigarettes, Non-Filter)

Hey guys!

I've been a CPAP user for about 5 years now. Actually an APAP user.

I went a long time before I had a sleep study knowing that I had an issue, but not knowing exactly what to do about it. I would be constantly waking up during the night gasping for breath.

Once I had a sleep study it was apparent I had really severe apnea.

I started out using a Philips Respironics System 60 machine and a full face mask. I started hanging out on a few Apnea forums and really got a lot of great help and learned a lot. I started using Sleepyhead to monitor my progress and took charge of my own therapy. With help from those forums and especially the members of cpaptalk.com (shout out to Pugsy!) I was able to get my AHI to consistently under 1!

Since I travel for work my Philips machine took a bit of a beating, so I started looking into getting a new machine. I discovered that getting a sudsidized machine through my insurance was going to be a huge hasstle, even if I was within the time frame for getting a new machine. But then I discovered that it is possible to get a brand new machine over the internet without involving doctors or insurance at all. Since I had been taking charge of my own therapy for a long while, keeping the doctors out of the equation wasn't a big deal at all to me. The only issue was footing the entire bill for my machine. Luckily I was in a position that it wasn't prohibitively expensive, and I bought a brand new ResMed S10 AirSense AutoSet with heated hose and humidifier.

My pressure range is 11 to 16 in/h20. I'm afraid I must agree to disagree with you jamesspo when it comes to AutoPAP, it has worked out very well for me. I guess that CPAP is another area where YMMV. I did discover that I really like the way that ResMed uses auto-pressure better than Philips' system. Did you say what machine you use? I may have missed it.

My mask is the Aloha nasal pillows mask. I have tried a lot of others, but I keep coming back to this mask, it suits me pretty well.

When I check my results in Sleepyhead every day an AHI of .5 is really quite high for me, I'm usually .3 or less. But if I ever have to sleep without my CPAP I'm absolutely miserable, I can't sleep more than a hour without waking up gasping for breath.

Starting this club was agreat idea jamesspo! Thanks!

I use a Swift Mirage Nasal Pillow Mask. I love it been using them for a couple of years now. Had to get an adaptor to start using Oxygen at night. I also use oxygen portable oxygen tanks.

New member to the CPAP club. I am starting a one month trial tonight; just picked up the machine today. I didn't think my OSA was that bad. No real daytime symptoms, or maybe I've gotten used to dealing with it. Sleep study showed AHI of 43 which is apparently not that good, but my O2 average was 93% for the night.

While I'm looking forward to seeing if there are positive results, I'm not real excited to try and sleep while wearing the facehugger from Alien.

New member to the CPAP club. I am starting a one month trial tonight; just picked up the machine today. I didn't think my OSA was that bad. No real daytime symptoms, or maybe I've gotten used to dealing with it. Sleep study showed AHI of 43 which is apparently not that good, but my O2 average was 93% for the night.

While I'm looking forward to seeing if there are positive results, I'm not real excited to try and sleep while wearing the facehugger from Alien.

There is a definite learning curve to it! Keep going back and trying different masks until you get the ONE that works for you, most providers and makers have a 30 day trial period on masks. If you are paying out of pocket you may want to look at CPAP.com or others where they have "insurance" to exchange masks not working for you.

There is a definite learning curve to it! Keep going back and trying different masks until you get the ONE that works for you, most providers and makers have a 30 day trial period on masks. If you are paying out of pocket you may want to look at CPAP.com or others where they have "insurance" to exchange masks not working for you.

Likely works different in CDN vs. US. Here in Alberta sleep study covered by provincial health and then any trial or actual CPAP purchase is up to you, your insurance provider and the sleep centre your dealing with. Place where I'm going a respiratory tech works with you to find what mask will work best and you use that for the trial. For the trial you need to purchase the mask ($200-250 here) and rent the machine for the month. My understanding is if the mask selected is 'clinically ineffective' you can have one exchange to another type of mask.

Two nights in. First morning I felt more tired than I have in years. Second night a little better. Fortunately the mask is comfortable and seals well. Looking forward to waking up and feeling like I'm awake. Just hoping it does not take too long to start seeing the difference.

Another new CPAP user here. I have been on for a week, and have had some good nights and a few not so good ones. My diagnosis was moderate OSA - about 15 events per hour but my O2 was in the 80s most of the time. I went with the Simplus full face mask, and have an ResMed AirSense 10 APAP with heated humidifier. So far, my biggest issue is frankly some irritation on the bridge of my nose from the mask. I'm finding it hard to get the adjustment just right. It's getting better though. I did put a call into the Respiratory Therapist at the DME where I got the equipment to ask about it. Anybody got any suggestions about the irritation?

Keep working on adjustment. The Simplus prefers to be loose on the bridge of the nose, easy to over tighten. (The Simplus is the best mask for me BTW)

Another thing I do every AM is liberally apply witch hazel to my forehead and nose where the mask rides, keeps the breakouts and irritation at bay. I also use a lot of Osage Rub on my scalp to control breakouts from the harness. Both these help tremendously for me, if we go away for a week or so and I don't do this I have a lot of irritation by the time we get home.

Keep working on adjustment. The Simplus prefers to be loose on the bridge of the nose, easy to over tighten. (The Simplus is the best mask for me BTW)

Another thing I do every AM is liberally apply witch hazel to my forehead and nose where the mask rides, keeps the breakouts and irritation at bay. I also use a lot of Osage Rub on my scalp to control breakouts from the harness. Both these help tremendously for me, if we go away for a week or so and I don't do this I have a lot of irritation by the time we get home.

Thanks, Bill. I did loosen the top straps a little last night and it's better this morning. I did end up with a little leakage last night though. I think I'll keep the looser nose and tighten up on the lower bands just a little tonight. I use Witch Hazel more days than not after I shave. I didn't think about putting it on the bridge of my nose. I'll try it out.

Hey Guys, just had a surgery performed back in January 2017. Was a CPAp/Bi-pap user for about 2 years and was not having the desired results. Even with the Bipap AHI was above 50/hour. 40 years old and in decent shape, sleep doc referred me over to an otolaryngologist. my machine was at full pressure and still had the AHIs, plus the blowing out around the full face mask.

Doc did a twilight study at the hospital and found that I would be a good candidate for maxilomandibular advancement surgery. Essentially, they broke my top and bottom jaw, and moved them both forward 10 mms. This opened up my esophagus so that I did not have my tongue falling back or any of the tissue collapsing when I slept.

The surgery and recovery were not a lot of fun. Still recovering from the surgery, in that feeling has not fully returned to my upper and lower lips/area around mouth. Also, chewing and opening my jaw wide enough to say eat a sub are still a work in process.

However, I do not need a CPAP machine at all, and I do not snore at all anymore. I will have a follow up sleep study in August, 6 months post surgery to confirm if the surgery was a success.

I will not say that this has been a miracle or anything along those lines. However, I have noticed an improvement. I am going to see the throat surgeon again today for a follow up and will post again.

Also, another interesting point is that I now have a much stronger jaw line, sort of like Bruce Wayne from Batman after having my jaw moved forward... so that is cool!

Brand shiny new CPAP user here. Three nights in and starting to notice I’m not waking up as much to pee! I snored loudly for years after my thyroid started acting up. Didn’t realize I was forgetting to breathe! I have a Resmed Airsense 10 so my Doc can spy on me. Dropping from 80 events to 3-4 is a pretty good first start! I do dislike breathing warm air. Is that just something I’ll have to get used to?

Top Bottom