What's new

My Guess... 3017

I wish I never read this. Been contemplating and order despite my yearly sabbatical. I really don't need it - as I have a huge stockpile of other soaps. But it's noticeable absent a stock of Haslinger I've been wanting to stock up on it as I fear the TVB deal will disappear some day. I've heard there is a place in Germany selling it for a similar price now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up to you...but I wouldn't break the sabbatical over it. I'm sure TVB will have it in 2018 and if they don't other online retailers offer it. I've also purchased Haslinger from a B&B vendor called Gifts & Care out of the UK. They have good prices on Haslinger. I've also purchased Haslinger from Shavemac. G&C and SHavemac might run a buck a puck higher than TVB, but still very good prices for soap shipped to CONUS.

I have a good friend that lived in Austria for 3 years. He could buy Haslinger off the shelf at the corner market half block down from where he lived. He said in Austria Haslinger is very inexpensive, kind of like Williams in the US.

Starting my next 3017 project with a soft soap that I hope I'll be able to blow through. When I first started wetshaving, I bought some RazoRock soaps because they were relatively inexpensive and I found their performance to be good. I still have a UFO tub of XXX that I'm going to 3017 soon. Last year I picked up One X and XX to round out my collection of the "X" soaps.

That being said, as I pare down my collection of soap, I'm kind of narrowing down what I have to things I really, really love. The scent on this, unfortunately, is not something I'm a fan of. To me it smells almost exactly like One X. Since @1Cal is doing a Fixed 4 game in another thread, I decided this would be a nice time to see how fast I can burn through the XX, so I'm getting a head-start on it.

I used this soap once before today, so I'm starting with basically a full tub of it. Going to be using a Semogue 1250 for the next month as that's part of the Fixed 4 thing for March.

Wish me luck!

Not a soap, but I killed off my bottle of Skin Bracer aftershave today. I will definitely buy this again. I like the scent and the cooling effect it has.

Not a soap, but I killed off my bottle of Skin Bracer aftershave today. I will definitely buy this again. I like the scent and the cooling effect it has.
I just did that to a bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Had to pick up a replacement bottle.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I'm 34 shaves deep into the Fine AB puck, and have used an average of .71 grams per shave. I question if my measurements may be off as I have it in a mango bowl - which I am thinking may have absorbed some water weight, and thrown of my consumption calculations. At this rate I will have about 110 shaves remaining. I anticipate that it will go quicker than that though. I've seen others report usage of 68shaves/1.5grams average. So I'm expecting my rate to ramp up near the end.

Either way this soap should take me into the late spring.

Today I poked a toothpick into my Fine AB to see how much was remaining in my mango bowl. I was extremely surprised that there was only a quarter inch or so (maybe less) remaining in the bottom of the mango bowl. Also, the soap remaking has become very soft.

I now anticipate that this soap will last 2-3 weeks more. Quiet a difference from my 100 shaves estimate in my last post.

The consumption rate calculations drive me crazy. Every weekend I weigh my soap and enter it into a spreadsheet which calculates my average grams per shave. But what I've been noticing though is that rate starts extremely low at the beginning g of a puck, then increases dramatically at the end of the puck. Has anyone else noticed this? In starting to question if it's worth bothering with if it can't be used to predict how much more time I have remaining.

The consumption rate calculations drive me crazy. Every weekend I weigh my soap and enter it into a spreadsheet which calculates my average grams per shave. But what I've been noticing though is that rate starts extremely low at the beginning g of a puck, then increases dramatically at the end of the puck. Has anyone else noticed this? In starting to question if it's worth bothering with if it can't be used to predict how much more time I have remaining.

Yes, this is a common phenomenon caused by water retention. Usage sidewards low at first while the puck takes in water. As you near the end, the puck is often over or heavily hydrated. Product is easily loaded and overloaded. Look at your usage in the middle to get better usage estimates.

Nearing the end of Williams I took on for the February challenge. Once this is gone I'll jump back on the PdP I was 3017ing starting in early December. I has a similar experience at the start where almost no product weight was disappearing in spite of the puck getting visibly smaller. But after a number of weeks it hit equilibrium and usage went to about 2g per shave with seems about right for me and a hard soap.

Just wondering is there a thread specifically on the soaps you have completed as to whether you would purchase them again or not. Thanks.
Several of the regulars in this thread post a full completion list that rates soaps and some mark if they would repurchase or not.

You could also check the graveyard thread as some post final impressions there when finishing a product.

Got 1-2 weeks more on my vintage williams that I've grated up and soaked in osage. The vintage williams is some seriously awesome soap! One of the slickest I've tried. I so wish Combe would go back to this recipe.

IMG_8675.JPG

I've been using a cream I don't think has been mentioned before in this thread. Ach Brito's Lavanda. I can safely say that this is one of the best shaving products I have ever used. Thick slick lather with an intoxicating lavender scent. Very similar to the fresh clean scent of the Godrej round but no synthetic note at all. Classy metal tube with old school graphics and hermetically sealed, so should store well. This was a new tube started on the 1st of January, I should get another couple of weeks of shaves from it easily.

My first 3017 is complete

Arlington 01/10/2016 to 28/02/16.

This is the first soap, that I have managed to achieve a consistently good lather. The fragrance is fantastic. I am keen to try another DR Harris soap, probably pick up some Windsor next.

Tomorrow I start on 100g of Valobra Menthol.

Still plugging away with TOBS sandalwood cream. Good stuff.

As I mention in an earlier post my wife gave me some Haslinger aftershave balm a while back and I kept forgetting about it. I've used it the past couple shaves and I think its fantastic. It has a very light sandalwood scent. The scent is faint and dissipates within an hour. So if scent is your bag, this probably isn't up your alley. Its light enough that I don't think it would interfere with most a/s splashes.

A little of the balm goes a long way. It moisturizes very well, feels great, soaks in quickly and doesn't leave a residue. In the winter my go to a/s balm is Gentlemens Refinery. That's sort of been my gold standard of protective dry-month aftershave balms the past few years. I believe Haslinger has knocked GR out of the top spot on my shelf. Plus is 1/4 the price. I see that Maggards has it on their website, I'm sure many others do as well.

Cheers

I've got about three or four shaves left on the Lime Willy from the February Williams 3017 challenge. While the soap doesn't yield a conventional lather it does produce a thinner lather that is incredibly slick and allows me to get a great shave with zero irritation. I'll sort of be sad to see it go.

The Valobra seems to be a very different soap from the Arlington I have just finished.

Obviously much softer, and smelling only of soap. I think it also has a much narrower sweet spot for water.

In trying to get the wet dense creamy lather I get with Arlington, I over hydrated the lather and ended up with a thin, quickly dissipating lather instead.

Got an ok/poor shave, where the alum stung more than usual, and I felt the need to apply some balm.

Will shake the brush out a little more, and go for a dryer lather tomorrow, and also change out the blade, as I had 6 shaves off this one.

It can only get better as I dial this soap in.

Today was shave 28 on a tube of TOBS Sandlewood. I am enjoying the shaves but am still trying to figure out exactly how much a "snurdle" is... According to the scales I have used about a third of the tube so that averages to just under a gram a shave. The usages may seem low but I am also the person that was using DRH at about a quarter of a gram a day.

Looking at the backlog I have a bit over 8kg of soap/cream (66 pucks/tubes) so it will be quite awhile before I actually need to buy any more soap. Sometimes I get that beer song going in my head but it goes like this:

66 pucks of soap on the shelf, 66 pucks of soap
take one down swirl it around
65 pucks of soap on the shelf....

Ruckin

Today was shave 28 on a tube of TOBS Sandlewood. I am enjoying the shaves but am still trying to figure out exactly how much a "snurdle" is... According to the scales I have used about a third of the tube so that averages to just under a gram a shave. The usages may seem low but I am also the person that was using DRH at about a quarter of a gram a day.

Looking at the backlog I have a bit over 8kg of soap/cream (66 pucks/tubes) so it will be quite awhile before I actually need to buy any more soap. Sometimes I get that beer song going in my head but it goes like this:

take one down swirl it around

Ruckin

take one down swirl it around for 2 years

FTFY

Top Bottom