What's new

Homemade Indian food

proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That looks great. This is a cuisine I have been looking into a lot more. The flavour and aromatic combinations are wonderful. Particularly for someone who is tired of the whole Mexican food deal. Nothing demeaning meant. It has simply been done to death in the U.S.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Turmeric (try it fresh!), cumin, coriander, asafoetida, mustard seed, cardamom- I love that stuff.

Love me some Indian food. Lucky to have a great Indian owned spice shop in the neighborhood. They have ALL the spices and more; paneer, cookware, ghee, etc. The cooking isn't too difficult or complicated, just time consuming with long simmering times. I understand pressure cookers are used extensively in India and I can understand why.

-Kesto

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's what I love about NYC. Not only do we have a justifiably famous spice store (Kalustyan's), there's one just as good as it right next door.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Where I live it is difficult to buy small amounts of spice. Consequently I end up large pouches that I store in rubbermaid roughneck containers. The prices are low so I frequently end up throwing away half a pouch in order to have fresher.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've got two Indian markets 1 mile from my house. They've got all the spices, but what's most important is their Himalayan basmati rice.

I like:

red lentil dal
chana masala
chicken tikka masala

All made with my two clumsey hands.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've got two Indian markets 1 mile from my house. They've got all the spices, but what's most important is their Himalayan basmati rice.

I like:

red lentil dal
chana masala
chicken tikka masala

All made with my two clumsey hands.
No vindaloo yet?

Where I live it is difficult to buy small amounts of spice. Consequently I end up large pouches that I store in rubbermaid roughneck containers. The prices are low so I frequently end up throwing away half a pouch in order to have fresher.

Mike do you ever get into Kensington Market or to The Big Carrot, any 'Health/Natural' food stores in your neighbourhood. The ones around here usually have herbs/spices available as bulk purchases, as little as you need.

dave

Try some of the smaller Ball canning jars for the bulk of it. Especially if you get spices in whole versions instead of pre-ground, they will last almost forever till ground in those jars. Even if they are pre-ground, you'll get more shelf life out of them stashing what you won't use up in say, 3 months into those, then pull out enough for another 2-3 months.

I have a good selection for spice buying in my area, and I love Indian spice combinations and flavors, but I still haven't really ventured into making much of it myself. I've used some quality pre-packages sauces where the ingredient list did not contain anything I wouldn't have used myself, and I've made home made naan in the oven (crank the oven hot as it will go, and a pizza stone type thing with the naan dough directly on it works pretty well for a home oven solution). That's the closest I've come so far.

I love Indian cuisine because it is colorful and has a variety of flavors. My kids don't like it so much; instead, my hubby eats everything from the plate. Once a week, I try to cook something specific Indian for my dear family. This week I cooked tandoori chicken. I had to use a food scale amazon not to put too much yogurt because you have to feel more the intense taste of grilled chicken with cayenne pepper, red chili powder. This delicious recipe went well with crispy naan. Try it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom