What's new

Owen's accountability thread

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I may regret doing this, but I need to put this out there to help me keep myself accountable. For the last 15 years, I have been packing on the weight, and getting lazier. At the beginning of the year my wife, who is 10 years older than I, had double bypass surgery Today is my 49th birthday. Over the last couple months it has slowly trickled through my rock hard skull that if I don't start doing something, I am going to be in the same spot sooner than later.

For the last month, I have been eating a lot better. I am eating a lot more vegetables and skinless chicken, and a lot less red meat. Before I could easily eat a couple double cheeseburgers a week. I had my first one in a month yesterday, and it was a single (wanted to give myself a little treat :) ). I have been walking 2 miles a day, 3 or 4 times a week. But, I have to do more.

On Monday, I am visiting a local gym, and will likely be signing up. My sister belongs to the same one (different location) and she likes it. If I get going regularly, the wife will join me after she gets out her cardiac rehab program (which is three times a week for a total of 36 visits). She is really enjoying herself, and says it helps a lot with stress. We have a scale at the small gym we have here at work, and I just verified the horror- 5' 10", 283 pounds. I cannot believe I just typed that number, but I will not tell a lie. Hopefully, getting rid of some of this gut will help with my almost chronic lower back pain. Wish me luck.

I'm 67 and my wife is 65. In May we started counting calories and getting on the treadmill for 30 to 45 minutes everyday. I was at 189 lbs and she was 183, today I'm 151 and she is 133. It was slow and easy. If you have a partner it's a lot easier because you keep each other on track. You will feel better and feel better about yourself. The only problem is you have to keep buying new clothes so you have less to spend on shaving gear. Just get with a sensible program and stick to it and you will make yourself healthy and proud. Good luck with your journey.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Happy Birthday Owen! Good luck with your journey! :thumbup:

There is a really good chance that regular workouts, along with weight loss, will help with your back pain.

I went on a somewhat simular journey. For the first few months after I retired, I let myself go rather badly. I decided to make it my "new job", in retirement, to take care of myself. To that end, I started working out daily and when that wasn't enough to get my weight back where I wanted it, I started tracking what I ate with MyFitnessPal. I no longer have to track what I eat that closely, but after months of using it I have a much better idea of just how much I can or should eat.

One of the biggest surprises was realizing, a few months into the regular workouts (with stretches), that most of the chronic aches & pains that I'd had since my 40s were gone. I started working out to get in better shape, but now my biggest motivators, to keep at it, is how much better I feel.

I too have been pondering heart and health and I am seeking out ways to improve my overall health. I'm not doing a great job of it, but I am going in the right direction.

If you need support, we are all here to help...good luck!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good luck with your journey. Not easy, but worth it. I'm slowly trimming down.

Mark
Thanks
I'm 67 and my wife is 65. In May we started counting calories and getting on the treadmill for 30 to 45 minutes everyday. I was at 189 lbs and she was 183, today I'm 151 and she is 133. It was slow and easy. If you have a partner it's a lot easier because you keep each other on track. You will feel better and feel better about yourself. The only problem is you have to keep buying new clothes so you have less to spend on shaving gear. Just get with a sensible program and stick to it and you will make yourself healthy and proud. Good luck with your journey.
Don't worry, I have settled on what I like in shaving gear, so I don't get too crazy there :)
Start easy. Go steadily. Keep at it.
If I know anything about myself, the first month will be tough and I will want to quit. If I can get past that I have a better chance of it developing into a habit. Plus, I swore that I will always be able to pick up my granddaughter, and she isn't going to stop growing :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Happy Birthday Owen! Good luck with your journey! :thumbup:

There is a really good chance that regular workouts, along with weight loss, will help with your back pain.

I went on a somewhat simular journey. For the first few months after I retired, I let myself go rather badly. I decided to make it my "new job", in retirement, to take care of myself. To that end, I started working out daily and when that wasn't enough to get my weight back where I wanted it, I started tracking what I ate with MyFitnessPal. I no longer have to track what I eat that closely, but after months of using it I have a much better idea of just how much I can or should eat.

One of the biggest surprises was realizing, a few months into the regular workouts (with stretches), that most of the chronic aches & pains that I'd had since my 40s were gone. I started working out to get in better shape, but now my biggest motivators, to keep at it, is how much better I feel.
Thanks. My wife is 3 weeks into cardiac rehab, and they have her on treadmill and bike 3 times a week. She is already sleeping a little better, and losing some stress.
I too have been pondering heart and health and I am seeking out ways to improve my overall health. I'm not doing a great job of it, but I am going in the right direction.

If you need support, we are all here to help...good luck!
Thanks Don

You can do it! It's never too late to get into shape and live healthier!
I myself started the same journey as you a little over two months ago. 6 foot and start weight of 265 with blood pressure of 160 over 98. Some lab work indicated that if I didn't make some jurassic changes I was on the path to becoming diabetic and have heart disease
Not good numbers at all and even worst news. Fortunately I have youth on my side, I'm 35.
Got doctor orders to drop my weight to 200 through changes to my diet and exercise.
I'm happy to report that all of my numbers have improved. Blood pressure is now normal and my weight as of today is currently 229.
It's alot of work, but the payoff is well worth it! I have more energy right now than I know what to do with for starters.
Anyway keep at and do treat yourself once in awhile!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You can do it! It's never too late to get into shape and live healthier!
I myself started the same journey as you a little over two months ago. 6 foot and start weight of 265 with blood pressure of 160 over 98. Some lab work indicated that if I didn't make some jurassic changes I was on the path to becoming diabetic and have heart disease
Not good numbers at all and even worst news. Fortunately I have youth on my side, I'm 35.
Got doctor orders to drop my weight to 200 through changes to my diet and exercise.
I'm happy to report that all of my numbers have improved. Blood pressure is now normal and my weight as of today is currently 229.
It's alot of work, but the payoff is well worth it! I have more energy right now than I know what to do with for starters.
Anyway keep at and do treat yourself once in awhile!
So far, I have been blessed in the blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol areas, but that won't last forever.

Happy birthday Owen! :jump:

I find that routine is the most important part of reaching that goal. I'm a creature of habit, so if I can get that healthy stuff worked into my routine I find it a lot easier to start and reach my goals. Good luck with your journey, we're here to help!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Happy Birthday Owen!

Happy birthday Owen! :jump:

I find that routine is the most important part of reaching that goal. I'm a creature of habit, so if I can get that healthy stuff worked into my routine I find it a lot easier to start and reach my goals. Good luck with your journey, we're here to help!
The hardest step for me is the first. Once I start, pure stubbornness kicks in.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My first two goals- bread and beer. I love a good bread, and know I have to cut my consumption way down. I also drink two 24 ounce beers a night just to get to sleep. I tigure if I work out after work that sleep may come easier, and that beer is around 600 calories.

It's a hard thing for any person to admit they need help and encouragement. It's an even braver thing to go public with it, as there's the feeling of vulnerability. Hope begins here and having people support you helps keep up the motivation. I've struggled with drinking too much for some years, and when I decided to stop it was very hard. But as each day goes by dry, I can see improvements in my mood, sleeping pattern, physical stamina and overall general health. You can do this! Push through those early difficult days, and keep us up to date with your progress, AND your hard days.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Happy birthday, Owen.
As already said take it slow to start with, you're no spring chicken anymore :)
What sort of workout are you thinking of doing at the gym?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's a hard thing for any person to admit they need help and encouragement. It's an even braver thing to go public with it, as there's the feeling of vulnerability. Hope begins here and having people support you helps keep up the motivation. I've struggled with drinking too much for some years, and when I decided to stop it was very hard. But as each day goes by dry, I can see improvements in my mood, sleeping pattern, physical stamina and overall general health. You can do this! Push through those early difficult days, and keep us up to date with your progress, AND your hard days.
Thanks, and goo luck to you.
Happy birthday, Owen.
As already said take it slow to start with, you're no spring chicken anymore :)
What sort of workout are you thinking of doing at the gym?
I think treadmill and elliptical, then begin incorporating weights a bit later as I get more accustomed to working out. I will be talking with the staff to get much needed guidance.

The simplest rule to losing weight is you have to burn more calories than you take in. Don't try to over do it burning calories, just try to limit what you take in.

Good luck, Owen. Getting started is the hardest part. In addition to lower weight and better health, your wallet will feel better if you drop those 2 beers every night. That is probably a $1.60 or so per day or $48 per month ($576 per year). That is like getting a $780 raise at work.

Top Bottom