What's new

How important is Post Shave to you?

When I evaluate a soap I actually don't put a lot of weight on this. I just don't want a soap that's drying. I figure that my true post shave is coming from aftershave but I do know some people don't even use an aftershave. So what about you?

The most important post shave I look for is how close and comfortable the actual shave was. Some soaps do seem to make closer shaves possible. Other than that I want my soap to-
1) rinse clean and easy
2) not feel drying
3) not leave or make my face feel greasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I evaluate a soap I actually don't put a lot of weight on this. I just don't want a soap that's drying. I figure that my true post shave is coming from aftershave but I do know some people don't even use an aftershave. So what about you?
For me it's more important to have smooth skin feeling after the shave and that cooling effect I get from the soap

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have terribly greasy skin, so after shave feel isn't different between soaps so far. A nice clean feel, sans stubble, is fine for me. I also almost never have any irritation (I have skin like iron, I guess), so they all feel about the same.

For someone with skin easily dried by soap (and I had a friend who had to use body oil to keep from having his skin crack) post-shave feel would be much more important.

One other thing, I want the SCENT to be gone when I rinse, too. I'm a no smell sort of guy, I think.

Peter

I also have skin on oily side. Posy feel is lower on my priority list but like others as long as its not drying and rinses clean that's good for me. When testing soaps I do try to evaluate this more so to get a complete picture of a soap.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Agree with most of the above. In shave performance is most important. Post shave moisturizing from the soap is fine as long as it's not too much. I usually adjust my post shave routine depending on the soap. Some just a splash, some get splash and balm, etc.
Residual slickness does seem to be related to "post shave feel" of soaps to an extent. Residual slickness does help in the stubborn areas which take a bit of buffing.

Post-shave feel is more important than scent for me! (Need to get a few more years out of my old face!)

For me, the post shave feel is the most important aspect of a soap. Those that have this tend to be the best performing soaps in my opinion. My face is neither dry nor oily, so I can tolerate a lot of different types of soap. I gues most people associate post shave feel with moisturizing. While that is part of it, I don't think it the only thing. Post shave feel to me encompasses moisturizing, smoothness, conditioning, etc. Like some have stated above. Those soaps with excellent residual slickness tend to have exceptional post shave feel.

Post shave is pretty much the number one thing that I look for, in a soap. (Although, ironically, I have been using a soap with poor post shave qualities almost exclusively, lately.) A good soap should leave my skin feeling comfortable, and a lot of soaps fail to do so.

CB Lindsay nailed it.

The most important post shave I look for is how close and comfortable the actual shave was. Some soaps do seem to make closer shaves possible. Other than that I want my soap to-
1) rinse clean and easy
2) not feel drying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) rinse clean and easy
2) not feel drying

That covers it for me.

Mark

For me, the post shave feel is the most important aspect of a soap. Those that have this tend to be the best performing soaps in my opinion. My face is neither dry nor oily, so I can tolerate a lot of different types of soap. I gues most people associate post shave feel with moisturizing. While that is part of it, I don't think it the only thing. Post shave feel to me encompasses moisturizing, smoothness, conditioning, etc. Like some have stated above. Those soaps with excellent residual slickness tend to have exceptional post shave feel.
I agree 100% and that's why I love Stirling soaps. I am prone to ingrowns and razor bump and get very dry skin during the winter months here in Boston. So the soaps like this tend to be best for my skin.

Last edited:
Moisture is key to aging so I slather the crap out of myself with the wife's avalon organics and then after shave. It works since I'm 43 and don't look a day over 42

I am somewhat "meh". Regarding a soap's post-shave qualities, all I ask is that it does not significantly dry my skin. I always apply a separate aftershave product(s) so that takes over post-shave feeling.

There are some soaps that have a great post shave feel. MWF is one, Haslinger soaps, Stirling, among others. I don't like a soap that leaves my skin feeling parched. I always use Witch Hazel, and my blend of coconut oil and unrefined Shea butter and then an ASB.

Top Bottom