What's new

First AS Recommendations

I am looking to begin using AS, mostly for the post shave healing and astringent effects rather than the scent (I shave before bed)

I don't live in a big city, so most options would be from online retailers. What are your recommendations as a starter that won't break the bank if I don't like them.

Thanks for your input!

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Speick and Lucky Tiger aftershaves both are good options for a post-shave treatment, and are not potent scents. Slightly more expensive than Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer (I like those, too, but they definitely have a more potent and lasting scent to them), but not prohibitively more pricey.

+1 Lucky Tiger - scent fades very quickly and has great skin soothing and moisturising properties. Ideal just before bed IMO.

I suggest you start with some of the classics that are readily available: OS, skin bracer, Pinaud, etc.

I grabbed some skin bracer at WalMart this morning. I'll give it a shot, but keep the suggestions coming!

Happy Shaving
-Chris

Well you already got it as I was going to say as I've been trying different ones Skin Bracer has been a surprise as to how great it feels as well as the help to conditioning my skin. Noticeable to me right away. Enjoy and let us know how you like it.

While not an actual aftershave, Thayers witch hazel with lemon is fantastic as a post shave splash. You should be able to find it locally.

Pinaud Clubman. You can find it in most drugstores and Amazon. I don't think it has a strong scent and I think it fades rather quickly.

If you use cologne, I would simply pick some Aqua Velva to start off. There are some fantastic "classics" from around the world also.
Proraso, Pitralon Classic, Swiss Pitralon, Alt Innsbruck

if you prefer a bit of a lingering scent perhaps:
Musgo Real Classic
Floid

It truly depends on what you are looking for. All the mentioned are pretty healing, you would just need to decide on linger factor

Army Vet also. Started my shaving with Skin Bracer and during service years included Aqua Velva. Both available in most supermarkets and drug stores. 90A13CEC-536D-4B90-BE0B-C3A05B709CBB_zpsxnix1ffr.jpg 6494ffab708a580048a114a357eba224.jpg

Sounds like a plan. I tried the Skin Bracer this morning, and first impression wasn't bad. It dried me out pretty bad after about 10 minutes (I forgot to use face lotion until then)

I am more of a cologne guy for scent, and the Skin Bracer went away quickly, which I liked. Will the others do that?

Has anyone tried Fine Snakebite?

Happy Shaving
-Chris

Top Bottom