What's new

Pitting on spine

Starting work on this blade but it has pitting on the spine more than I have dealt with before. Before I get to wet sanding any suggestions? Or is this one a lost cause?

proxy.php

proxy.php

9AF042F6-B061-4B99-A320-C3FD32731FCB-9279-00000E4D325A7279_tmp.jpg

These rotary tool abrasive buffs are great. 10 bucks for a handful of them and various grits. Much less surface texture than using flap wheels and sandpaper. I also found that since they are like sponge material the blade really doesn't heat up at all. With that you have no worries of overheating the blades.

I've had good luck with blades like yours by removing the scales then soaking it in vinegar for 30 minutes or so. Then take 600 w/d to it. That'll remove the active rust but leave the 'character' behind.
full

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not a lost cause. Do it like you feel it. But if you have celluloid scales I would get rid of them.

I ended up doing a wet sanding progression to 1200 then buffing with red then white compound and final polish with mother's mag polish.

It came out well I think- it still has pitting but as you say it is "character".

It honed up exceptionally well on my shapton pros and a very enjoyable shave this morning.

Here is a picture thanks for all the input!

proxy.php

Nicely done.

You really can't go too much further than you did. To get rid of all the pits in the spine would require thinning it quite a bit and you'd end up with a very acute bevel angle.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom