What's new

Pocket Pistol

View attachment 761545

If you have a Glock 43 under consideration, you really should spec out a S&W Shield. 9mm very, very, close in size to the Glock. 9 round capacity and usually much less expensive than the Glock. Mine has served me well

+1 I find it very concealable without resorting to the pocket, even with the longer mag. Plus, having 9 rounds on board gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. :biggrin:

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but I am still puzzled.... Why are you wearing your bathrobe in the shower Rob?:blink::laugh:

And doesn't the gun get wet? :blink:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am going to get a pocket pistol in .380 for the days when even Bigfoot has trouble concealing a gun.

I am narrowed down to the Glock 42 and Kimber Micro. I like them both so it's a tough decision. I own Glocks I have never owned a Kimber.

Thoughts?

Kimber expensive... Glock? Not.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I made my decision today. I narrowed it down to the Glock 43 and the M&P Shield. It all boiled down to trigger pull.

And the winner is!
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

OkieStubble

BooYow! Boi.... :)

Many don't realize, that the earlier models of the G43 had a very heavy trigger pull. My wifes 43 was one of those, so I put in a aftermarket, Ghost Edge connector and brought the trigger pull down to 4.5 pounds.

Well, back in November, Glock put out their own factory upgrade for the G43 with a new connector. I bought it, drop it in and my wifes 43 now has a 4.2 pound factory trigger pull.

The newer G43 you have Scott, has that new connector already in it. So that trigger pull on your new consummate operator's close and personal, should be a joy to shoot. Congrats!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yes! Very cool! I may need to get one even though I have my Kahr PM 9, which I love. Always need another Glock!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Congrats., Scott. Looks like you're all set.

Rob, how's the reset on the Ghost and the new Glock connectors? In my 2nd Gen G22 I put in the Taran Tactical Innovations complete 3.25 trigger kit, a safety plunger and spring, and a Lone Wolf trigger housing with adjustable trigger stop...and something else I think.

The TTI kit really made a big difference...light trigger and a very short reset. The kit is so good I don't need the adjustable trigger stop and just leave the adjustment screwed all the way out. I've been considering getting the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I've seen mixed reviews but most have been very positive.

OkieStubble

Rob, how's the reset on the Ghost and the new Glock connectors?

The original G43 trigger connector #33215, was absolute crap. while the Glock box still listed the factory pull at 5.5 pounds, it was actually about 8.4 pounds with a mushy take up, hard heavy wall or break, and while I like an audible reset, it was "really loud" and really long and my wifes groups, while acceptable, were about 3-5 inch spreads and very inconsistent at 7-10 yards.

I dropped in a Ghost 3.5 pound connector and polished her internals. It did bring the overall pull to 4.5 pounds and lessened the "spongy" take up, it still felt kinda mushy. Not a lot, acceptable even, but still there. The break was much better, and the reset was still quite loud but better and shorter like it's supposed to be.

When the new Glock Connector came out in November, Many got it, because they worry about the legalities with an upgraded defense gun, but I always ask them, to refer me to one single case, where a functioning upgrade, caused a conviction in a righteous shoot and they can't do it.

Not a sticker or some engraving that said, "die sucker die" but an actual, functioning upgrade. I got the new G43 connector, #33564, because it is cheap enough to get and just try it out to see if it was better than the Ghosts.
well, I have to say, yes it is! :)

While there is always going to be take up in a Glock, it is a nice, short, very clean and smooth take up. No mushiness at all. The wall is by no means too hard like it previously was and the break is clean and crisp. The reset, while still very audible, is not crazy loud like it was, but Glock managed to get the reset even shorter than the Ghosts connector.

I recently, sold a Gen 2 G19 which had somewhere in the vicinity of 80,000 rounds thru it and it had one beautiful, sweet trigger. The new connector on the 43, now reminds me of that. Great trigger. My wife's shot spreads are now around 2 1/2-3 at 7 yds and 3-5 at 10, depending on how fast she is shooting. If she empties the mag, they start to spread out, but it's because she's no combat master not because of the gun or trigger. But if she keeps it at 3 quick, shot bursts, she is learning fast and keep them impressively tight.

In my 2nd Gen G22 I put in the Taran Tactical Innovations complete 3.25 trigger kit, a safety plunger and spring, and a Lone Wolf trigger housing with adjustable trigger stop...and something else I think.

The TTI kit really made a big difference...light trigger and a very short reset. The kit is so good I don't need the adjustable trigger stop and just leave the adjustment screwed all the way out. I've been considering getting the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I've seen mixed reviews but most have been very positive.

I think the Glock striker spring and cups is probably the only spring I think 'needs' to stay factory. If you really like the results of the TT kit, I say if it's not broke, don't fix it. And you can't go wrong with Wolf match grade barrels they are quality barrels. :)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the update on the new stuff from Glock, Rob. I haven't been out shooting with the "guys" in quite some time so I'm not up on what's new that's out.

I pulled out the old Model 22 awhile ago, unloaded it, and the trigger pull the first time dry firing surprised me when it clicked...very light. Sure there was some take-up, but once it got to the pull it was nice. Not any mushy feel at all on take-up, and no wall...just "click." I'll have to get a couple of boxes of target ammo to run through it to get used to it again. It also has only had about 10 rounds run through it since I put the trigger kit in a couple of years ago...not near enough for me to trust it yet but it's not a carry gun anymore.

Striker spring on mine is stock. I feel about lightening a striker spring about like I do on lightening a hammer spring on a hammer fired one...don't.

I've "heard" that the TTI 3.25 connector used with stock trigger springs will give about a 4.5 pound pull. I don't have a trigger pull gauge so I don't know exactly what the pull is on the TTI kit or what the variance is over 10 pulls, but it's kinda sneaking up on a single action revolver pull, but with enough take-up that you won't accidentally touch it off. Not quite as good as a SA pull on a revolver, but a lot better than the stock one that was in my Glock. And I'm comparing it to the 2 pound trigger pull that a gunsmith put on my old model .41 mag. Blackhawk many years ago.

If Scott's 43 has the new model factory connector in it, it sounds like he has a very good carry piece.

But I really know nothing...I carry a revolver or a 1911. :001_smile

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
"But I really know nothing...I carry a revolver or a 1911."

Oh trust me. You know a lot more than many.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the Glock striker spring and cups is probably the only spring I think 'needs' to stay factory. If you really like the results of the TT kit, I say if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Question on the springs on a Glock, Rob. Have you ever used lighter trigger springs on one, like is supplied in the TTI kit?

Case in point...after a P.D. armorer cleaned up the internals on my S&W L frame and did a trigger job on it he handed it back to me and said "Now leave the mainspring screw tightened all the way in and go shoot the hell outta it."

Of course, after awhile I just HAD to play with it. Got a mainspring and trigger return spring kit that had a lightened mainspring and three different weights of trigger return springs. When I put the lighter mainspring and lightest trigger spring in it was very, very, "sloppy" and hammer strikes were...not very hard to say the least. I put the factory mainspring back in but left the lightest trigger return spring in and had a problem with the trigger returning to reset...a lot of double clutching. I put the heaviest trigger spring of the kit in, just a step below factory, and that has been in there every since with no problems.

So...I'm guessing with a bit of wear I'm probably looking at some trigger return issues with the lighter springs from the TTI kit?

Or maybe not...this is a whole different system than a double action revolver.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, the discussion about aftermarket stuff may need its own thread. Like the Wolff recoil spring pack I got for my Colt Officer's ACP to fix the stove pipe issues that are common to the short barreled .45s. And compensators, custom sights, lasers (uggh), and all that there stuff. Although I don't believe you should hang 15 pounds of accessories on a 2 pound firearm.

I'm really looking forward to Scott's range report with his Glock 43 after 50 rounds at a B27 target. Pics. are mandatory.

OkieStubble

:lol: Question on the springs on a Glock, Rob. Have you ever used lighter trigger springs on one, like is supplied in the TTI kit?

Case in point...after a P.D. armorer cleaned up the internals on my S&W L frame and did a trigger job on it he handed it back to me and said "Now leave the mainspring screw tightened all the way in and go shoot the hell outta it."

Of course, after awhile I just HAD to play with it. Got a mainspring and trigger return spring kit that had a lightened mainspring and three different weights of trigger return springs. When I put the lighter mainspring and lightest trigger spring in it was very, very, "sloppy" and hammer strikes were...not very hard to say the least. I put the factory mainspring back in but left the lightest trigger return spring in and had a problem with the trigger returning to reset...a lot of double clutching. I put the heaviest trigger spring of the kit in, just a step below factory, and that has been in there every since with no problems.

So...I'm guessing with a bit of wear I'm probably looking at some trigger return issues with the lighter springs from the TTI kit? Or maybe not...this is a whole different system than a double action revolver.

You answered your own question correctly in the bolded portion when it comes to the mainsprings and hammer spring in a revolver and also in hammer or striker springs in pistols Mike. I think you're fine with the TT kit. The trigger and safety plunger springs you got with your kit are not only smaller springs, but their PSI rates are so low, most are probably around 5 psi, that if you were going to have a problem with say a small plunger spring or trigger spring, it most likely would be in your very first range session.

But the compression spring rates for various hammers, strikers or mainsprings? Depending on caliber and recoil? Can be anywhere between 15 psi low and 60 psi high. There is just too many variables like, length, diameter, number of coils, pocket depth, retainer length, etc, to take the chance of going from OEM manufacturer, to aftermarket.

I was reading a Glock forum not too long back, and someone was advising people, that, if they wanted a lighter trigger pull on a Glock, other then a connector, they should snip a couple of the coils off of the Striker spring. I wanted to pull my hair out when I read that!

Many people have opposite preferences when changing the mainsprings in their combat guns. While I don't have a preference, I want it to be reliable, so I won't change a stock mainspring out in a pistol that I haven't put say, 3,000 rounds thru? After 3,000 rounds, if the mainsprings are still too heavy? Change it. After 3,000 and they have become too loose? Change it.

But I personally won't ever recommend to someone, changing an important mainspring in a gun, that they want to depend their life on with, just because they read about other people doing it.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I would not dream of cutting the Striker spring. I cannot believe someone would recommend that. Number 1 a Glock is darn near indestructible if you use parts designed by Glock. 2nd thing I am sure your warranty would be done for. Third and most important is I want the pistol to go bang. If you cut the Striker spring could you ever have the confidence it will?

I have only put 100 rounds through the 43 but shooting two hand or 1 hand I really like the trigger so far. Glocks can sometimes be a bit stiff out of the box, but this one has cycled like a dream so far.

100 rounds 115 grain American Eagle FMJ. 3 Federal Hydroshocks.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have only put 100 rounds through the 43 but shooting two hand or 1 hand I really like the trigger so far. Glocks can sometimes be a bit stiff out of the box, but this one has cycled like a dream so far.

100 rounds 115 grain American Eagle FMJ. 3 Federal Hydroshocks.

I must be going BLIND.

I don't see any pics. of the range session there, Scott. :001_smile

I carry a Walther PPS M2 9 mm, carried in a IWB holster. It's hasn't failed at the range with about 500 rounds through it. Also, its about as accurate at 7 yards as my 4 inch barreled pistol. FWIW.

Top Bottom