What's new

My new / vintage (probably) GDR-made boar brush

Hi Folks!

Yesterday evening I was gifted with a new but pretty old (I guess) boar brush with a typical GDR-alike looking handle. It was new yet the logo-sticker half missing. The handle shape is pretty handy and the diameter / loft for my liking very good (diameter: 25mm, Loft: 50mm).

I just rinsed and washed it (animal smell noticeable), produced some lather with Palmolive shaving cream.

I am pretty confident that this brush was made by the Mühle company as this was one of the biggest / few brush makers in the former GDR. Maybe I'll contact them and ask for it.

So, just wanted to share this "beauty" with you....
IMG_20170221_134128.jpg
IMG_20170221_134140.jpg

Cheers guys,

Christian.

Hi Folks!

Yesterday evening I was gifted with a new but pretty old (I guess) boar brush with a typical GDR-alike looking handle. It was new yet the logo-sticker half missing. The handle shape is pretty handy and the diameter / loft for my liking very good (diameter: 25mm, Loft: 50mm).

I just rinsed and washed it (animal smell noticeable), produced some lather with Palmolive shaving cream.

I am pretty confident that this brush was made by the Mühle company as this was one of the biggest / few brush makers in the former GDR. Maybe I'll contact them and ask for it.

So, just wanted to share this "beauty" with you....View attachment 763281 View attachment 763282

Cheers guys,

Christian.
Thank you for sharing this! That's very unique!

Hey Folks,

thanks for your positive comments on the brush. Well, I just shaved and used the brush for lathering. It is of course not broken in and felt pretty scratchy (0-10 scale: 5). Good (not huge) backbone and a nice splay. Not a lather-hog. Together with a never used new shaving crope (Stirling Orange Chill), I had some difficulties in making the lather shiny and to my liking mediocre moist (but the slickness was already amazing!). This soap is thirsty I noticed so next time I will load the soap with a more damp brush (I face lather exclusively).

All in all, I am really looking forward to breaking in the brush and though it is hard to get my eyes used to the handle's colouring, I am sure this will be a keeper in my rotation.

Take care and kind greetings from Berlin,

Christian.

IMG_4490.JPG
That brush really is beautiful I too have one that is very similar to yours and it also came from Germany as did the other one in the background and I absolutely love them. I've never seen two alike. Congratulations and enjoy my friend.

Hello Marty,

thanks for your post and the attached picture. Yeah, indeed, it has some similiarities in handle shape. What I like is that it was not in fashion to bleach/dye boar bristle brushes as widely as it is nowadays. Of course, there are and have always been companies that do not do this to their bristles. Marty, have a nice sunday.

Cheers, Chris.

Top Bottom