What's new

Making Corned Beef

Round one is in the books, we carved off enough for a couple sandwiches 30 minutes before cooking completed because we couldn't wait any longer! Marbled rye and stone ground mustard, success! $uploadfromtaptalk1458188126190.jpg

You can also lay it in a deep roaster with water, cover with heavy duty foil and simmer it in the oven. I have 20 lbs of CB which I will be doing that way. I cook my veg separately as it's done much faster than the brisket will be. 275 is a good temp after you get the water up to temp. One hole popped into the foil is enough.

Jim, that's exactly what I'm doing this year. I had to put off cooking the corned beef yesterday because we had to go to a St. Patrick's Day event and I didn't want to be rushed. Grandma would be unhappy that I'm not boiling the heck out of it, but a low and slow run in the oven just sounds so much better to me. Not roasting veggies, but I'll be making colcannon to go with it for dinner tonight.

Man, that looks good!

The roast is all done and resting in the oven while my wife is running some errands. The colcannon is just about ready. Kids couldn't wait and have just about finished the soda bread--they're like locusts! Fortunately, they're still complaining about how hungry they are, so my wife had better get home quick.

I had planned to brew a dry stout for St. Patrick's Day, but things got pretty hectic and I didn't get a chance. Next year!

So I had mine on Saturday.

It came out really, really excellent. First year using pink salt instead of beet juice. It made a dramatic difference in color and texture. I also soaked it in clear water for 20 hours before cooking. The initial cooking was done on thursday night, then it rested friday and saturday in the fridge. I baked it with a brown sugar glaze saturday night.

Served it with Colcannon, roasted veg and Spotted Dog. (and a little 12yo Redbreast.)

$cornedbeef.jpg

I can't wait to corn another one in a couple of months and smoke it for some pastrami......

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
@langod

Very nice. I had to look up Clocannon & Spotted Dog. I'm a wee bit Irish, more Scot, German and Native American though.

...can't wait to see the smoked version.

So I had mine on Saturday.

It came out really, really excellent. First year using pink salt instead of beet juice. It made a dramatic difference in color and texture. I also soaked it in clear water for 20 hours before cooking. The initial cooking was done on thursday night, then it rested friday and saturday in the fridge. I baked it with a brown sugar glaze saturday night.

Served it with Colcannon, roasted veg and Spotted Dog. (and a little 12yo Redbreast.)

View attachment 646466

I can't wait to corn another one in a couple of months and smoke it for some pastrami......

That looks super!

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
After simmering for three hours. My poor photography skills doesn't do the color justice. It was a bit more red. Nevertheless, it was the color you would expect a corned beef to look like.

[/URL]

Open-Faced Rubens!

[/URL]

[/URL]

and a Closed-Faced Ruben Sandwich slathered with Russian dressing. :thumbup1:

[/URL]

[/URL]

Man, it was worth the wait. Now, I'm feeling a little bit sluggish.

[/URL]

Definitely tender. Definitely worth trying for yourself as it is pretty simple. The only thing is I felt that the clove was a bit more pungent than I would prefer. Next time, I will reduce the amount of clove that I use. Also, I need a better knife.

Now it's time to make the corned beef hash. :eek:
Once again, these pictures make my heart go aflutter.

Top Bottom