What's new

Pre-Shave Oil - Lather Killer?

I don't use PSOs as a rule as they've done nothing for me in the past. However, I saw some Argan oil on offer in a discount shop a few days ago and thought I would take a punt, given its reputed qualities.

I think it's making a difference, although it's early days. My main issue though is that it absolutely kills whatever cream or soap I'm using to face lather. Even though I'm only using three or four drops and letting it sit on my face for a few minutes, I can't get anything like the same sort of lather as usual when using it. That said, when I used it with my Palmolive shave stick this morning, the lather was as slick as anything, even though it looked much more watery and insubstantial than I normally get. So I got a great shave with lather that I thought was sub-par - all a bit confusing!

Am I doing something wrong here? I don't remember PSOs having any effect whatsoever on lather build when I've used them previously, so maybe it's a peculiarity of Argan? Should I rinse it off before shaving, or try a different approach?

I've never had an issue, but I bowl lather. I only face lather on travel and I don't bother to carry PSO on travel. I would be surprised if it affected the lather.

I believe the issue is because you are face lathering. Oils can mess up a lather so whenever I happen to use a Pre-shave oil i bowl lather. However I have switched to Pre-Shave Creams instead and I have seen better results.

Oil and water do not mix so it makes sense as to why you are having trouble I know you are not using a lot of oil but I believe if you bowl lather you will see an improvement. Or ditch the oil all together you have options.

I face lather and have never had an issue. I've only used the Stirling pre-shave oil. The ingredients list doesn't specify if Argan is included or not.

I'd test a different pre-shave without Argan to see if it makes any difference.

Perhaps it's Argan oil. I don't use PSO very often but when I did I either made my own or used T&H's PSO. I never had an issue when I face or bowl lathered.

I have NO experience with this product, so take my comments with a grain of salt!

I tried a couple of pre-shave oils and found that they did not improve my shaves, so I do not use them. YMMV of course!

I use PSOs regularly and I exclusively face lather. When I first started using PSOs I had thus issue due to using too much oil. Now if I'm shaving daily or every other day I only use 2 drops of oil if it's been multiple days between shaves I'll use 3 drops but never more than that. I hope this helps.

IMO, AoS has a nice sandalwood scent. They make a version of pre-shave oil in this scent, but I have been reluctant to use it because I've been told oils are not good for brushes or even razors. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Does the AoS formula contain the right oils for beards & skin?
Thanks, Ron

@ lancelot The AoS oils are OK - but expensive. I used PSO for years and never had an issue with brushes or razors. In fact, my Hoffrtiz brush was exposed to PSO for more than 20 years and it is as good shape today as when I bought it. If you choose to use PSO, it's juist a few drops.

full

I tried again today, but made sure I just used three drops. It seemed a tiny amount, but at least it didn't affect my lather (MWF), which seemed particularly slick. Was that the PSO, or did I just happen to make a good lather? I think it's too early to say whether or not it's making a difference, but I suspect I have been using too much until now and that's what's been killing the lather.

I tried again today, but made sure I just used three drops. It seemed a tiny amount, but at least it didn't affect my lather (MWF), which seemed particularly slick. Was that the PSO, or did I just happen to make a good lather? I think it's too early to say whether or not it's making a difference, but I suspect I have been using too much until now and that's what's been killing the lather.
Good that your finding the possible culprit to your lather killing dilemma. I've used pre shave oil for at least 15 years. Never have had a problem with lather, brush and razor/blade. Couple drops is all you will need. I put 2 drops, maybe 3 depending if I skipped a couple days. I work into my hands and rub into the face and neck area. Then I wet my hands, shake of a little water and pat my face with what's left. I mostly bowl lather, but I do face lather and I've never had an issue getting creamy, rich goodness.....

It might be the Argan oil. But other oils should be fine. I know most people go in trying pre-shave oils because they think that it will make your shave slicker. For the most part...this is not the case. It will, however, condition your skin and hair and prep it for shaving. I use pre-shave oil religiously. But what I use is mainly glycerin. i have tried the oil pre-shaves and I have even made some (you can often buy the ingredients and have enough to make a gallon for the same cost of a little bottle of AOS or another brand of PSO). Try some glycerin with your Argan oil. It might make a big difference. By the way...I face lather exclusively.

I tried using Floid Preshave Oil when I was developing my technique, I found the extra layer of slickness helped.
I also found out the hard way that a 100ml bottle of Sweet Almond Oil that cost about €2,50 did the same job as a 50ml bottle of Floid Preshave Oil that cost €7,50 so I started to mix them 50/50, which also worked well.
I didn't have any real problems with lather because at the time I was almost exclusively bowl lathering with creams, and the layer of lather sort of "floated" on top of the layer of oil.

I found oil to be particularly good for prepping before shaving with a shavette.....
I used to use a hot facecloth as normal, then splashed on more warm water so my face was dripping wet.
Then I'd mix Floid Preshave and Sweet Almond Oil in my hand and massage it onto my face - oil and water don't mix. so it created an oil slick on my face.
I just used to use oil without any lather to shave with the shavette - it was slick enough not to burn, the greasy bristles provided enough cushion, and I could see exactly where to shave -
Think of Richard B. Riddick shaving his head with grease and a razor sharp knife in "Pitch Black" and you'll get an idea of how badass I used to feel standing in front of the mirror !!
I wouldn't recommend an "oil shave" with a DE razor because you wouldn't believe how much it used to gunk up the shavette !!

About 6 months down the line, I lathered up one day without the oil and got a perfectly good shave with a DE so I've just never bothered with oil ever since
Besides - I wear glasses, so putting anything greasy near my face is just asking to get smeared lenses !!

I find if I dont use a pre-shave product (I usually use cocoa butter, which is great), my skin feels much more abraded.

I think the real benefit to these products is they treat the skin, adding moisture and oils before you drag the blade across. Obviously, the act of shaving is not kind to your skin. I think pre-shave products add to the TLC our skin needs from abusing it with a blade.

I've used a number of different pre-shaves-- everything from Proraso pre shave cream to coconut oil-- and all help with glide to some extent. But I get my best skin benefits from the cocoa butter. It's what works for me.

Sounds like you got it figured out. I do not currently use any kind of pre-shave. I do face lather though. With oils it seemed to be a very fine line between just enough and too much. Too much would kill the lather for me. I tried creams as well and they are a lot more forgiving. For my skin, the cream seemed to be more beneficial.

I only use pre-shave oil once in a great while if my skin is really dry, but when I do I still face lather just fine (Haslinger's). Use very little oil, a couple drops rubbed into wet hands and then onto the face.

Top Bottom