What's new

What's your vessel of choice?

For one- it holds two bottles instead of one, but that is just an added benefit.
The Pottery keeps the beer at the perfect temperature for me. It has a great feel to it.

full

Currently my favorite clay mug is this one.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right glassware for the right beverage.

I don't have a favorite glass overall ... I try to match the vessel to the drink (though I don't have any glencairns yet!) ...

Beer is served in a pint glass (chilled for lighter stuff, room temp glass for darker beers), Old Fashioneds, et al go in to my U of Wisc rocks glasses. Martinis in martini glasses, red wine glasses, white wine glasses, etc ...

Legion

Staff member
Yes- Scotch a Glencairn is the tops. Other whiskys- tumbler or rocks glass is fine. Beer I really like in my kiln fired pottery cup. Nothing better , net even a glass. But if a glass is needed then depending on beer I like a Tulip glass.
I have a few Japanese beer "glasses", and they are made of stoneware. They are nice to drink out of, and seem to keep the beer cooler.

depends on the beverage.

My wife bought me the Norlan Glass for Christmas. Norlan Neat idea, IMHO not much of an improved experience experience over a Glencairn. Only Negative would be is that it is a little light, I wish it had a more substantial feel. I do find myself reaching for it more often than my other glasses though. Definitely a cool conversation piece when friends come over.

I love the glencairn for scotch, and I've picked up a few for $1 ea at goodwill. Most of my liquor glassware is bought that way. I always felt they were a bit dainty and seemed fragile. I recently discovered another glass. It's like a glencairn, except a bit bigger, no base, and thicker walled with a nice sturdy base. Anybody know what it's called?

proxy.php

Please tell me where you got that beautiful rocks glass?

It's a Glenlivet glass. It would have originally come in a holiday gift box. But I got mine at goodwill for $1. Most of my glassware comes from goodwill or other thrift stores.

Great question! We have a ton of glassware to get the most out of the wines we drink here (mostly German or Austrian) with the shapes optimized for particular wine types. (Another AD!)

+1 ... I've been drinking nothing but Scotch on the rocks for about 15 years now, and I didn't really care what it was served in. It never even occurred to me that the glass could make a difference in the taste of a drink.

Once I got a Glencairn glass, it took my enjoyment to a whole new level, and I won't touch alcohol in anything else.
DPM - so, do you drink scotch on the rocks in a Glencairn, or has the glass changed your drinking habits?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
For beer: One that is easy to wash. And it should not absorb the cold. The beer should stay cold in it.

And all glasses should have a thick bottom.

I changed my mind a little.

Thick bottom not needed, but it should have a wide mouth.

DPM - so, do you drink scotch on the rocks in a Glencairn, or has the glass changed your drinking habits?
No, I still drink the same ... it just tastes a lot better.

And for reasons I don't understand, the Glencairn glass seems to turbo-charge the alcohol content,
so I get to my preferred level of buzz while consuming less product.

One or two ice-cubes (made from distilled water) plunked down in the glass, pour over just enough Johnnie Walker Black (or Green when I'm living it up) to cover the cubes, let it sit for about two minutes, then start sipping slowly. If I time it right, I swallow the last drop of Scotch just as the ice-cubes completely disappear. Usually about 10~15 minutes per drink.

Top Bottom