What's new

New AOS Oud Suede shaving cream - $30

Was at my local mall tonight and stopped by the AOS store. Were very nice and let me take a sample home. Almost a light sandalwood/citrus scent.

At the AOS shop today and tried out sample of AOS Oud!
Excellent!
Woods, musk, citrus, great combo. Heavy on the woods.
They had shave cream, pre shave oil, aftershave balm, also bath soap.
Manager believed that oud shave soap would be forthcoming.

Did my second shave with the sample they gave me. Noticed nice residual slickness and the scent has grown on me. If there is a soap made I might pick one up.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

A lot of the bay rums don't actually contain essential oils from the bay laurel tree.
Good point. But proper bay rum contains essential oil from leaves of the West Indian bay rum tree (vs bay laurel tree belonging to a different species).

(Today's) bay "rum" is a misnomer anyway because it doesn't contain rum/sugarcane extract, but just regular/industrial ethanol, instead.
(Historically, the essential oil was mixed with rum, to make it undrinkable.)

Good point. But proper bay rum contains essential oil from leaves of the West Indian bay rum tree (vs bay laurel tree belonging to a different species).

(Today's) bay "rum" is a misnomer anyway because it doesn't contain rum/sugarcane extract, but just regular/industrial ethanol, instead.
(Historically, the essential oil was mixed with rum, to make it undrinkable.)
^^^^
What he said. Meant pimenta racemosa, but had a brain fart.

I popped in their Indy location on Friday night for a smell. It's not what I was imagining. I wear Creed Royal Oud quite a bit and was expecting a similar deep dark scent, but it was very light. It did smelll nice not my cup of tea for the price.

On a side note the employee behind the counter was either dead, asleep or didn't care if he made a sale because he barely looked up to acknowledge my presence. Pretty unusual because I usually I can't shut them up.

Sounds like AOS and Proraso are going head to head with their Oud and Wood & Spice creams. Anyone care to compare the two that has tried both?

How strong is the scent? Compared to tabac or any other strongly scented soap?

[MENTION=103484]-EdG[/MENTION] PIF'd a generous sample of the Oud cream and the Oud Leather frag to me. I've shaved with the cream twice now. I'm still working my way through it, but performance-wise there's no doubt this cream is from the same cloth as the lemon cream that has taken over my den. I'm still working through the "notes," as I find it a really well-blended fragrance, and I'm having trouble parsing it. My initial thoughts were, "wow, what a wonderfully green fragrance; kind of like i jus broke open a spring branch, pulled off the bark, and put it in my lather." But today it was much more complex than that. So I'll shave with it again tomorrow and return here. Real oud? I'm not certain, but I think so. I'm kind of handicapped here, as I love funky, over-ripe, barnyard ouds (in fact I finished my shave with one), but this is frag is clean and green.

Thanks again for the chance to try this great cream.

Finally pulled the trigger on a tub of Art of Shaving oud cream last week, with help from the kids' Fathers Day gift card! (Further helped by my AOS store granting me a "mall team member 10% discount"!)

Shaved with it for the entire week, totally enjoyed every shave.
Varied the brushes and razors, but same glycerin soap pre-save ritual.
Totally great scent, somewhat woody, cedar, spicy and musk. Quite masculine.
Solid scent strength, hints linger after the shave.
My first shave seemed to dry out a little, but performance got dialed in perfectly on subsequent shaves with a little more product and less water.
I'd rate this new AOS cream very high and alongside their benchmark sandalwood and eucalyptus creams.
Now, thinking about grabbing the AOS bourbon amber cologne to pair with this...this smelled more like wood and spice, not really bourbon.

art of shaving ouds.jpg

Resurrecting this thread from the history books. I bought a tub of Oud from Marshalls for $6 last week, and tried it for the first time today. My overall reaction was "yawn!".

The cream's slickness and cushion are perfectly fine. The "yawn" comes from the scent, which is practically non-existent. I don't know about you, but slickness/cushion is only one of the traits I look for in a cream. It also has to smell really good, even if it's only during the shave. There are plenty of good performing shave creams that either have no scent or smell lousy. I want one that has a good scent. Oud doesn't really have any scent.

Good thing this thing only cost me $6.

Top Bottom