What's new

Shaving bowl

I recommend a scuttle. I have a Georgetown G20. They are ceramic, good at holding heat. If you look around their website you can usually find that they have defect products at about half price. The defects are usually very small and hardly noticeable, like a small chip in the ceramic or slight off coloring.

For a few years I just a salsa bowl from Walmart. Earlier this year I picked up a Captain's Choice bowl and love it. Sorry, I'm out and don't have a pic, but you can check their website.

HERM

Me, too - used a porcelain mug long ago, but I got the fine ceramic bowl from Captain's Choice last year and really love the shape, which tends to keep lather in the bowl during furious swirling.

If the bowl or mug is big enough to make a decent lather, then it really doesn't matter what it's made of solid long as you like it. The only real difference in material is what happens to it when you drop it.

+1 for Capts Choice lather bowl. I've had mine for a couple years, it works great. Plus, CC's customer service is OUSTANDING.

I prefer my lather to be warm and the scuttles that I have, both modern and antique open mouth do that for me. I also have bowls and a scuttle that heats the brush between passes, but it isn't as warm as the scuttles.

there's always a plan B.

I have scuttles, bowls, mugs, but my best one I use the most is a Coconut Shell, If you drop it bounces as I have done a few times. here it is I used my Wolf Whiskers brush for size

20170226_015110.jpg
20170226_014910.jpg 20170226_014931.jpg 20170226_015000.jpg 20170226_015017.jpg

This hammered stainless steel bowl is light enough (with lather and a brush inside) to float in a sink of hot water, so it functions like a scuttle with a very large water chamber.
Also, because of the lack of a rim, it's easy to scoop up (from the inside) wayward bits of lather that hang off the outside.
It will not support my two largest brushes, an Omega 49 Pro, and a Rubberset Barber Shop brush. They cause it to capsize. Well, it could if you put them in with the bristles up, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

When I do use the larger brushes, I fill that SS bowl up with hot water and drop a heavier and smaller ceramic bowl into it, and place them on the side of the sink.. Again, sort of a scuttle workalike.

Hand-thrown ceramic bowls are nice, especially for textures on the inside but beware of the unglazed bottoms scratching porcelain or acrylic basins.

I went to marshalls today and found a two sided mortar on clearance. The small mortar side is big enough for a puck and has a cover and the other side can be used for lathering. It's like a two in one set up.

So today I used an old ceramic bowl. Worked really well! I feel I should clearly start a shaving collection though.

Thanks for all the info everybody.

This hammered stainless steel bowl is light enough (with lather and a brush inside) to float in a sink of hot water, so it functions like a scuttle with a very large water chamber.
Also, because of the lack of a rim, it's easy to scoop up (from the inside) wayward bits of lather that hang off the outside.
It will not support my two largest brushes, an Omega 49 Pro, and a Rubberset Barber Shop brush. They cause it to capsize. Well, it could if you put them in with the bristles up, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

When I do use the larger brushes, I fill that SS bowl up with hot water and drop a heavier and smaller ceramic bowl into it, and place them on the side of the sink.. Again, sort of a scuttle workalike.

Hand-thrown ceramic bowls are nice, especially for textures on the inside but beware of the unglazed bottoms scratching porcelain or acrylic basins.
And. don't drop 'em. The Captain's Choice bowl I talked about above bit the dust today when I dropped it in the sink. It's metal for me now, I'm too clumsy.

HERM

I recommend a scuttle. I have a Georgetown G20. They are ceramic, good at holding heat. If you look around their website you can usually find that they have defect products at about half price. The defects are usually very small and hardly noticeable, like a small chip in the ceramic or slight off coloring.
Thanks for this heads up, I ordered a G20 second today, nice discount, just as functional.
Typing "scuttle second" in the search at top right of their home page brings them right up.

Randy

I notice yours does not have the typical metal handle mounted on it. Where did you find one without the handle? I hold all of my bowls in the palm of my hand as I work up the lather, so a handle is superfluous for me. I'd love to pick one up like yours without the handle if you would be gracious enough to share your source.

Top Bottom