What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
So what do you use on your gold plated razors? I know abrasives can strip the plating rather quickly.
I do no polishing on Gold ones. If I feel the need, I'll use lemon juice and a toothbrush. The gold ones usually shine after a soap bath.

All polishes, even Maas and Flitz, have abrasives. It's just how large the particle size might be.

I use Flitz, but I've been following up with a light run of Wright's Silver Polish. It cleans off the Flitz residue, and leaves behind a clean polish that sheds water like a duck. Even after four uses of Arko, the soap scum was shedding right off of my 40's SuperSpeed.

Getting this in the mail hopefully in the next few days. I've been searching for a birth year razor, and unless I completely missed the mark about the black handle Super Speeds and the date codes, I think I finally got one. I couldn't find one in the right quarter according to the codes, but I'm happy enough with getting one in the right year. I'll keep searching the Bay and other sites for one with the right code on it.

Apparently being born in the late 70s makes it a little difficult to find DE razors....

birthyear_super_speed.jpg

Getting this in the mail hopefully in the next few days. I've been searching for a birth year razor, and unless I completely missed the mark about the black handle Super Speeds and the date codes, I think I finally got one. I couldn't find one in the right quarter according to the codes, but I'm happy enough with getting one in the right year. I'll keep searching the Bay and other sites for one with the right code on it.

Apparently being born in the late 70s makes it a little difficult to find DE razors....

View attachment 764374

That's quite the deal! Congrats on finding your birth year and good luck with birth quarter!

Being born in the mid 90s is disappointing as far as birth year razors go by the way lol

View attachment 764374
I have on from the year before and it's become my permanent travel razor. It's not too expensive I'll freak out if it gets lost, doesn't take up a whole lot of room, but it's a darn fine razor nonetheless.

+1 to this. What polish will you use on it?
Tbh I'm completely stumped on this one. I've not heard of Maas or Flitz so thinking they're not readily available in the UK. The only metal polishes I've really heard of is Brasso and Barkeepers Friend. So going to hold of on the polish for now whilst I do some more research. I've heard of people using lemons, ketchup and toothpaste as metal polishes so may look into those as possibly less abrasive.

Tbh I'm completely stumped on this one. I've not heard of Maas or Flitz so thinking they're not readily available in the UK. The only metal polishes I've really heard of is Brasso and Barkeepers Friend. So going to hold of on the polish for now whilst I do some more research. I've heard of people using lemons, ketchup and toothpaste as metal polishes so may look into those as possibly less abrasive.

Honestly Flitz isn't readily available in my area either so I just bought a bottle of it off eBay. I went with the 3oz bottle and it's plenty.

What you want is a polish with a low quantity of abrasives, or at least a low particle size for abrasives. Brasso is meant for straight brass, so it can be destructive to chrome plating. It seems to do just fine for nickel plating, as I used it for years on my 86's superspeed, and it has never shown signs of plating loss. It's not worth taking the chance. If you do some searching here, there are a couple of polishes in the UK that work well, and I just don't remember their names right now.

Maas can be found on Amazon.co.uk...

Thank you for the information. I didn't even think to check amazon for some reason. The only thing at my local grocery store is the dreaded Brasso, which I've read too many horror stories about to want to use on my razors.

Chris Evatt, who is both a member here and of the renowned Raszorplate.com fame, gave me the tip to use Mother's Polish on an old toothbrush. This will clean it thoroughly and not offer undue pressure on the plating to cause loss. The Mother's Polish will turn black as you clean. Repeat your cleaning a second time, with hand dishwashing soap applied to that same toothbrush- do not rinse the Mother's residue from the toothbrush before you do this. Follow this with another pass of the old toothbrush, scrubbing it again with more dish washing hand soap. You will see an amazing difference at this point without plating loss. This is a messy process, so be sure to wipe down the sink area to not raise any wife reproach. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I can't remember who gave me that tip. I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I've had no ill effects from doing so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I know lemon juice is good for rust. Also tooth cream. But now I know another use for the lemon...

Thumbs up!

I know lemon juice is good for rust. Also tooth cream. But now I know another use for the lemon...

Thumbs up!

Seeing as how soaps are basic it would make sense something mildly acidic would remove any light film or build up. Now I'm questioning why I didn't realize this sooner.

Valet.JPG

This Valet Autostrop VC2 (I believe) arrived the other day. No box or strop, but the razor itself is in good condition for its age with just some minor plate loss, and I won it with a low bid.

I shaved with it earlier today. Not great in truth: I got a pack of Feather FHS-10 blades but the blade felt quite rough and the shave wasn't particularly close. However, I'm putting that down to my inexperience with SE razors in general, and this one in particular, and will persevere in the hope that the shaves will get better.

I bought it as much out of curiosity as anything else, but hope I can learn to like it and include it as a regular in my rotation. If so, I'll try and source a box and strop separately.

I'd be interested to hear of others' experiences with this razor. Does anyone strop the Feather blades, and how many shaves are you getting from a blade?

View attachment 764540
This Valet Autostrop VC2 (I believe) arrived the other day. No box or strop, but the razor itself is in good condition for its age with just some minor plate loss, and I won it with a low bid.

I shaved with it earlier today. Not great in truth: I got a pack of Feather FHS-10 blades but the blade felt quite rough and the shave wasn't particularly close. However, I'm putting that down to my inexperience with SE razors in general, and this one in particular, and will persevere in the hope that the shaves will get better.

I bought it as much out of curiosity as anything else, but hope I can learn to like it and include it as a regular in my rotation. If so, I'll try and source a box and strop separately.

I'd be interested to hear of others' experiences with this razor. Does anyone strop the Feather blades, and how many shaves are you getting from a blade?

Pretty good condition might be an understatement! Congrats on the SE though!

View attachment 764540

I typically get 4-7 shaves from a Feather SE blade in an Auto Strop razor. I suspect your SE technique is behind the roughness you experienced - the angle is a bit different with an SE. Plenty of advice over in the SE Razor sub-forum. Be warned however - many a DE shaver has tried an SE "just for kicks" and has never returned....

I typically get 4-7 shaves from a Feather SE blade in an Auto Strop razor. I suspect your SE technique is behind the roughness you experienced - the angle is a bit different with an SE. Plenty of advice over in the SE Razor sub-forum. Be warned however - many a DE shaver has tried an SE "just for kicks" and has never returned....

It's true, once you go SE, it's hard to ever want to shave DE again. I have successfully come to appreciate both, but I may be in the minority on that. The GEM SS blade is smoother and generally better than the Feather, but it won't work in that particular Auto Stop razor. Get a GEM/Ever-Ready/Star 1912, and some GEM stainless blades, it'll knock your socks off!!! :thumbsup:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Found: Steel base plate 1952 Super Speed X4 before and after a quick bath also boxed blue 20 blade dispenser.

before X4.JPG
after X4.JPG
blue blades.JPG

Top Bottom