What's new

March Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Irish Dishes

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Anyone had success, any tips on doing a small, small piece of brisket, 1.5-2lbs from scratch as a corned beef? Even 2lbs. is bigger then i'd ideally like to attempt.
Making Corned Beef

The recipe is at post 33, but the whole thread is worth reading. It called for a 4-5 lb. brisket. It says 8 cloves, but I remember Bob said that was a bit much, and he halved it the next go around with better results. Like I said, the recipe is on page 2, post 33, but the whole thread has a lot of info spread throughout it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To help stir the creative juices:
List of Irish dishes - Wikipedia

I know I will be reading through it. I only recently found out my maternal great-grandmother was full Irish. So, even if her husband wasn't any, I am at least 1/8th. Growing up, we primarily ate what was considered American dishes.

I'd looked at that Wikipedia list when the Irish theme was announced as i had no clue, it's apparent there's no Irish in my make-up.

dave

I'll be watching this one! My great great grandmother Mcmanaway(English sp. Likely Mcmenaway in Irish pronunciation but unsure) came over from the Isle direct and never spoke English as a daily language. All Irish, all the time for the most part. Of course this was a LONG time before I came along and I only had a few relatives who knew who her first hand. We all tended to be younger kids of older parents and my great grandparents were born between 1865-1870 All my grandparents were born in the late 1890s. So figure it backward from there twenty or more years. Likely wound up here as a result of the potato famine.

Many of the dishes we think of as 'American' had their main roots in English, Irish, Scots, and Germanic peasant foods. A morning fry up of the potatoes left over from last night's boil was the only thing you were going to eat the next morning. So no pickiness allowed. Those people lived hard lives and all my great uncles died really young with lungs full of Pennsylvania and West Virginia coal dust. They would approve of this thread I think!

My wife's father was Irish, i've traveled around Ireland, we managed to brainstorm three Irish dishes. Went through our cookbooks, library returned 5400 plus hits for a 'cooking' search, fifteen of those related to Irish cooking, borrowed one of those. Google search really didn't lead me anywhere new so we just did new takes on things we've made before.

Potato/Leek soup from the library book- Russet potatoes, leeks, butter, chicken stock, heavy cream, salt and pepper, dead simple & tasty.

Cottage/shepherds pie we always make vegetarian with tofu and mushroom gravy. This time for the filling i sauteed hamburger, onions, carrots, rutabaga, red peppers, parsnips and chili flakes then dumped in a nice, local, craft brewer's stout, what we had in whiskey and chicken stock because we had some in the freezer. Cooked down until pretty much dry. For the topping, my wife made Colcannon with Yukon Golds and Brussels sprouts. I made up a cheese/beer sauce with more of the stout, Dubliner cheddar and Red Leicester cheese for some colour, minced garlic, hot sauces...

Some shredded outer Brussels sprout leaves and radish sticks to lend some colour to the browns of everything else.

I have bigger portions then the other two.

Music was a cd comp of 80's bands and we no sooner sat down to eat and The Pogues came on, good timing.

dave

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Intriguing take on a Shepards Pie, Dave!
proxy.php
How was it?

It was good. The only known quantity was the colcannon, everything else was an unknown and it came together well. My wife's comment was "i'd get this in a restaurant if i saw it in the menu."

Each element could stand on it's own, the temptation was to just stand at the stove and shovel the hamburger and vegetables in, i cooked that part yesterday and the flavours today were even better.

The colcannon is always a treat.

The cheese sauce flavour developed, mellowed in the hour between zapping it in the food processor and putting it to use. My wife's taking a tub of that to work tomorrow with crackers and crudites for dipping. It's a Bon Appetite recipe i came across in an article on 27 Irish dishes, a keeper! (Halved the recipe and tweaked it some.) I kept adding more to my taco as i went along, good stuff!

The tortilla is pretty much just the food delivery system, you don't pay much attention to it.

All in all tasted very good but looked pretty bleak before the shredded sprouts and radish was plopped on top.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I like the way you're thinking Dave. Sort of a decontructed pie.
FYIW Here in NZ to be a sheppards pie it must be lamb, using beef makes it a cottage pie. I'm not sure if Ireland follow with the same.

Well done Dave. We don't think of Irish food as 'vegetarian' because like most of our antecedents, they loved meat. Yet could rarely afford it. If they were lucky they could afford stew bones from butcher and would boil the taters and cabbage with those and then make up the pie. More likely bubble and squeak the next morning. I like your take on it. We don't think of flat breads as part of Isle cooking but think of the pasty. Your filling would just as easily and likely be baked up in one of those but the tortillas would be great with this. Good show.

Thanks Todd, we are, well i am at least, always looking to try different, try things and methods we've never done before. There's a pub nearby that has Irish Nachos on the menu, they replace the corn chips with thinly sliced fried potatoes and retain the usual toppings, really very good, so my thought was why not Irish Tacos? Was a fun worthwhile experiment with the tacos. The second take on the soup, given a couple days to sit, was terrific, really, really good, a handful of ingredients, simply prepared, as good as it gets!

A picture of the last tofu pie i made, not very Irish but definitely vegetarian.

proxy.php

dave

Everything is looking great! So, I picked up various ingredients yesterday for my cookout recipes this weekend... then promptly lost power at my house (and some roof damage from the windstorm)... Hopefully the power comes back in time to not lose any ingredients to spoilage. :a31::a31::a31:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Made corned beef and cabbage yesterday. Yum!

Finished it off with an Irish taco.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I need to do some cabbage and sausage this weekend. I have been watching what I am eating, so I guess I can have a little slip.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Keep it 80/20 and you'll do just fine. 80% clean eating and 20% on indulgences.
Oh, I am. I just have to be vigilant, because there are a lot of indulgences I really enjoy :) I am about to complete week two of the gym- I ache a little, but my energy level is going up.

I need to do some cabbage and sausage this weekend. I have been watching what I am eating, so I guess I can have a little slip.
If it's like 70/30 cabbage to sausage, that's not even really slipping, if you check the calories on that, I bet. :)

Top Bottom