What's new

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin: Unstoppable

Every single time I wear this I get compliments from women. It has to be the ugliest bottle in the world but the sauce is ruthless.

I'm a dragonslayer wearing this

Attachments

• Lolita-Lempicka-Au-Masculin_100ml_EdT-700x700.jpg
    Lolita-Lempicka-Au-Masculin_100ml_EdT-700x700.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 28
Very strange one this. I actually like the bottle, but for years avoided this as I'm not typically into sweet gourmand scents, Eventually relented and I really enjoy - it is sweet and liquoricey, but somehow has a very old-school undertone which I really like. On my second bottle now, and even though it does seem to have become somewhat muted (first bottle I had was incredibly strong whilst second is much less so), it's a great frag, excellent value too.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The wife likes sweet gourmand scents, but there is something about this one that doesn't pass her test. I think she compares everything to Eau des Baux. She'd probably be happy if I only owned a couple bottles. That, of course, isn't going to happen. :001_smile

My compliment getter has been Kouros and Tsar. I'll have to get some of this. My wife likes Azzaro PH. I think it's the anise in it she likes.

Interesting. I own a bottle of this one, but I am not sure I have ever actually worn it. It is an anise cloud of a scent.

I've heard a lot of good things about this fragrance and at least I'll have to find a decant of it somewhere! Sounds too good to miss.

I'm pretty sure I'd be praying to the porcelain gods if I walked around with anise surrounding me all day.
That bad, eh? :001_07:

Still, LL always shows up high in the list of "What scent were you wearing the last time you received a female compliment," so it's something of an enigma. I have a theory, though. Tania Sanchez, partner of Luca Turin and co-author with him of Perfumes: The Guide, had a great quote about women's scents:
The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon.

So, perhaps what drives women wild is licorice, and we just haven't figured that out yet?

I wrote that as a joke, and then found out there might be something to it. According to a doctor from the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation (I am not making that up):

It appears that food odors elicit the greatest sexual response,” says Dr. Alan Hirsch of Chicago’s Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation. “Get rid of the cologne and get some Good & Plenty candy.”

The Top 17 "Naturally Erotic Scents" mentioned were: Vanilla, black licorice, cinnamon, banana-nut bread, pumpkin pie, citrus, popcorn, lily of the valley, sandalwood, lavender, jasmine, almond, basil, black pepper, rose, ginger, and peppermint.

Wow, what a great post ^

Perhaps this is all true. Even my 5 year old daughter asks if she can wear some. lol
She doesn't ask that of my Paco Rabanne.

I don't really have a relative soap and a/s though, I have been running Viking Hedeby soap and AV a/s. I'm on the hunt for an anise soap

I understand that, looking to capitalize on this gourmand research, Lempicka's upcoming releases will include Eau de Tarte à la Citrouille and Le Nuit de Pop Corn: Pour Homme. And Guerlain has a new nose at work trying to figure out how to simplify the scent of banana-nut bread into a fragrance. For me, I'm headed out for some Good 'n' Plenty; the cheaper option.

Actually, the anise scent isn't a blatant onslaught. There are some other layers there. Although I see your tongue firmly in cheek, my Good n' Plenty habit is up around $60/mo.

I have wondered, is LLAM really a gourmand? I personally think of gourmands as the chocolate, coffee, some but not all vanilla scents (seems to me there is a floral vanilla and a food vanilla!), stretching to strawberry, apple, and similar scents. Is Pear & Olive by Slumberhouse a gourmand? It seems close to the line, but I am not sure. Is Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache a gourmand? I would think not. I am thinking I may be guilty of drawing a line between scents I like and those I generally do not, as I do not generally like gourmands.

Anise is a classic note in scents, although admittedly not usually a dominant note. LLAM takes certainly makes it a dominant note, if not a "soliflore" of anise. (I would expect that "soliflore" technically applies only to floral scents.) One thing I do not like about scents is that it is hard enough to discern and describe scents as it is, or to categorize them, but the vocabulary that is out there is often not precise or at least not used precisely, especially by scentmakers themselves. Perfumers must have some way of talking about these things among themselves that is more precise. The terms "aquatic" and "powerhouse scent" leap to mind in this regard!

Just thinking out loud.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Going to say; I dug out LLaM today (as well) and there's more going on than just anise.

The food connection (think Seinfeld) got me motivated to try Animale Animale. Chocolate? Moss? Gotta see... er, smell.

AA

Going to say; I dug out LLaM today (as well) and there's more going on than just anise.

The food connection (think Seinfeld) got me motivated to try Animale Animale. Chocolate? Moss? Gotta see... er, smell.

AA
There is. Going by memory, vanilla, in particular, but many other things, too, just as is true of most scents. If licorice counts as a separate scent note, that, too, of course. Not sure I can distinguish licorice from anise, but there are different anise scent notes, too, it seems. They are not all the same in every scent.

Many love Animale Animale. It is a fine example of a gourmand to me, and, as such, I am not fond of it! But I am probably in the minority when it comes to gourmands.

Okay, I am wearing LLAM today, I was just wrong about a lot of what I said above. It does seem distinctly licorice as opposed to anise, so I guess I can tell a difference. It does seem gourmand to me in that it smells like a food or beverage, in this case some kind of licorice/vanilla soft candy or similar, although I like it way more than most gourmands. I am thinking lots of sillage (maybe too much, I would say this is probably the vintage version) and lots of tenacity. My nose does not seem to have acclimated to it much at all. I think it does kind of give me a headache, but not so bad as to completely discourage me from wearing it. Interesting scent. I am not sure how much I would wear it or on what occasions. It has elements that strike me as similar to the elements I do not like in gourmands generally.

Top Bottom