What's new

Let's Talk Containers!

I have to be honest this has been a fun thread to read. So many interesting takes on different containers. I still think that 'Stirling' is the best all around container for me. I also really like the ''Barrister and Mann'' latha containers like some people mentioned earlier, I also have a container that uses the 'Glissant' base and love that container too! Like a lot of you I like the look of the ''specialty'' containers as I call them. The 'MWF' ceramic, ''I Coloniali" ceramic pot, the ''Panna Crema'' 'Nuavia' Pots, and the 'glass' jars that we see; but to be honest I am always nervous of breaking them. But I like the look of the specialty 'containers.' I have also noticed a LOT of artisans going away from 'tin' ''CRSW'' as an example. Personally I like this, as I am not a big fan of tins but some are pretty good such as 'St. Charles' and even the ''WSP'' ones seem to hold up well I just hate they are filled to the top and wish they were wider.
Anyways a note for those of you that will read this post.

The links are crucial to the soap forum bingo game that is happening if you are NOT playing bingo feel free to ignore as they add no value to the conversation in this thread.

"panna crema"

I'm actually looking forward to the empty containers from my Stirling and Maggard soaps. I'm also a bullet caster and small containers are great!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Stirling sells their containers separately, and at a reasonable price.

The Klar Seifen tins, on the otherhand, are the worst. They are super thin and dent easily, they are super narrow, and there is no headspace on a new puck. I pitched the tin, grated the soap, and pressed it into a Stirling container.

The links are crucial to the soap forum bingo game that is happening if you are NOT playing bingo feel free to ignore as they add no value to the conversation in this thread.

Somebody's either feeling especially generous, or must have a lot of other stuff to do today...:biggrin:

I like the Soap Commander 6 ounce containers. They leave enough room at the top and are wide enough to load the brush well.

I re-purposed a Taylor of Old Bond Street container for their soap puck refill. It fits perfectly. And while I haven't gone through that puck, it appears my refill puck of DR Harris Marlborough will fit as well.

Someone mentioned they like to use shave mugs. I am assuming something similar to an Old Spice Mug. While I like my OS "mug" I just couldn't really see myself storing all my soaps that way.

Last edited:
I got some acacia dipping bowls from Target. They look interesting, smell nice, and 4 ounces of soap fits perfectly. They're also comfortable to hold, repel water fairly well, and won't break when slippery hands drop them. Only downside is, there's no lid.

I hope they're working on containers for their soaps and not for people. Have to be a big container to hold people. :lol:

Talk about reinventing the wheel. They've had good containers for people for a long time. They're called coffins.

--

I ordered an inexpensive double walled stainless steel bowl from E-Bay (china, of course), and it looks to be just about perfect for soap. Yes, you'd have to float it in boiling water to melt soap to fit, but that's not too difficult. The lid is close to vacuum tight (it slurps when you pull it off), and the indentation in the top matches the bottom. So you can put the lid down, then set the bowl on top, or stack bowls. The stainless steel doesn't affect its ability to lather, either.

It took a couple minutes at first to get used to, but the Stirling tubs are great and I love using them. I only use their tub to load the brush and then move to a lathering bowl to finish up so they work great. Stirling also sells shave tins in small 4oz. and medium 8 oz. for samples or pucks like Fine sells. I've been using a few of them and so far there has been no rusting at all.

My favorite soap also comes in my favorite soap container. Haslinger. I unwrap the soap from the plastic wrapping, dispose of the wrap, place the puck in an Old Spice mug, and enjoy 30 days of fantastic shaves. When that puck is gone I unwrap another puck of Haslinger, toss the wrapper, place puck in OS mug, and enjoy another 30 days of great shaves......

I like simple things that work well.

I thought they were hard to open too, until I figured out to just squeeze the lid. Since it just snaps on, a squeeze will pop it up on one side and you just lift it off...
I'll have to try that. I just haven't had much practice because it arrived after the start of The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0. :(
My favourite container is a rigid plastic one that I got with the (now discontinued) C&E "Sienna" shave cream. It has little nubs around the rim of the screw-top lid for a better grip.
I just did a comparison between the old C&E tub and the current TOBS container, and they are almost identical.
So, YAY!

I thought they were hard to open too, until I figured out to just squeeze the lid. Since it just snaps on, a squeeze will pop it up on one side and you just lift it off...

Yep. Opens easily at the sink. I'd worry about it in my suitcase, however.

I never thought about that. I guess if I was going to travel with it, maybe some tape or rubber bands would be in order.

Personally, I like a jar with a screw thread for traveling. Currently using a Col. Conk Travel soap, but I'm not dogmatic about it.

Personally, I like a jar with a screw thread for traveling. Currently using a Col. Conk Travel soap, but I'm not dogmatic about it.

I'd have to agree with you there about the secure, screw on lid. I was thinking about traveling with liquid aftershaves vs a smaller container of balm or lotion. I'd be paranoid about the bottle leaking and everything I have ending up smelling like clubman or aqua velva musk whereas if my nivea balm leaked, it would flow and spread like a liquid...

I like the new green Stirling soap containers and classy labels. Talk about an artisan that's constantly improving and paying attention to details without being greedy. Best artisan soap I've used.

My favorite soap containers are the ones used by Tallow & Steel, PAA, and Barrister & Mann as well as several other companies. They are the 6oz 100mm thick wall containers.

The larger surface area makes it almost effortless and a lot less messy to lather the soap.

Top Bottom