What's new

March Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Irish Dishes

Mess Hall Group Cookout

Everyone likes a cookout. So that's what we're doing. It will be a lot of fun and this includes you. The idea of the cookout is very simple. We plan on having a monthly cookout with a theme where everyone is cooking the same thing. Any and all members are welcomed to join. The cookout dates will be posted so you will have plenty of time to gather your ideas and ingredients. A theme of what's to be cooked will also be posted. Each participating member will cook from their own home using any method they see fit, (including inside ovens and stove-tops) but staying within the theme for that week. Posting time will include two weekends from Saturday through to the next Sunday, so you will have plenty of time to help you prepare and post. Of course all your efforts will have to be documented with pictures of at least the final product along with a short tutorial.

The real fun will be getting to see what other fellow members come up with across the world. Come on out and join us. You have to eat, so you might as well show us how you cook.

Dates: Starts Saturday 3-11-2017, Ends Sunday 3-19-2017. That's two whole weekends.

Theme: Irish Dishes

If you want in, Just say I'm cookin'!!!

~ Thread idea inspired by Brucered

With it being March and St. Patricks Day in the middle, sort of seemed like a theme that created itself. I figure Irish or Irish inspired dishes.

I'm cookin'!!!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Brown bread, in liquid form!

Except one taste so much better. :)

Guiness beef stew....but chili.

Green beer soup....:302:

Shepard's pie Mac & cheese

...think outside the Irish box.

Lets hope it's not a potato famine.

Does the Irish box you speak of ook something like this?

guiness-cover-500x500.png

Irish soda bread comes to mind as its something I've spent a bit of time working out. I'll have to think of the right food to pair it with. Maybe corned beef and cabbage. Guinness or Tullamore Dew are givens.

First time i had colcannon i was staying with a girl and her family at their home in Holland/The Netherlands, her dad was Italian her mom Filipino. It was a revelation, the first time i'd had palatable mashed potatoes in my life, they were great, an epiphany! The dish may be called colcannon in Ireland but the mix seems pretty wide spread and not uniquely Irish.

My wife with the Irish maiden name could come up with three foods/dishes she'd identify as Irish one of which was colcannon. I've got some research to do.

dave

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
Been to Ireland a few times. My best description of Irish quisine would be fresh ingredients prepared simply, in bountiful proportions. Lots of fresh seafood.

In general, the food was great. It wasn't unusual to sit down at even a small restaurant and have them bring out heaping plates of vegetables. I've counted up to 7 different potatoes served at the same meal!

Colcannon good, Champ even better! Champ is mashed spud with spring onions/scallions, whatever you call them. I'm Welsh, we call them Jibbons!

Colcannon and Champ are even better fried up next day with bacon and egg.

Gareth

Been to Ireland a few times. My best description of Irish quisine would be fresh ingredients prepared simply, in bountiful proportions. Lots of fresh seafood.

In general, the food was great. It wasn't unusual to sit down at even a small restaurant and have them bring out heaping plates of vegetables. I've counted up to 7 different potatoes served at the same meal!

Spent time in Ireland the same trip i was initiated to Colcannon in the Netherlands and the only food i can recall was getting a steak and kidney pie from a pie shop, either in Galway or Killarney.

My favourite colcannon is with Brussels Sprouts (can it still be called colcannon?). Fry up the big squashed down mess until crispy and crunchy then flipped to do the same to the other side.

dave

Colcannon good, Champ even better! Champ is mashed spud with spring onions/scallions, whatever you call them. I'm Welsh, we call them Jibbons!

Colcannon and Champ are even better fried up next day with bacon and egg.

Gareth
I'd be way into that Champ vs the Colcannon, from the sounds of it.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
My favourite colcannon is with Brussels Sprouts (can it still be called colcannon?). Fry up the big squashed down mess until crispy and crunchy then flipped to do the same to the other side.
dave

:yesnod: Yes, from what I've been reading, you can still call it Colcannon. When you fry up the Colcannon 'til it's crispy on both sides, you can call it....

"Bubble & Squeak"...... Don't you just love the name?

proxy.php

:yesnod: Yes, from what I've been reading, you can still call it Colcannon. When you fry up the Colcannon 'til it's crispy on both sides, you can call it....

"Bubble & Squeak"...... Don't you just love the name?

proxy.php

Now that looks about perfect! The British sure know how to dress up a dish with intriguing names.

My quest for vegan Irish is turning up duds so far.

Anyone had success, any tips on doing a small, small piece of brisket, 1.5-2lbs from scratch as a corned beef? Even 2lbs. is bigger then i'd ideally like to attempt.

Great list of similar dishes from other nations in the Bubble and Squeak link, for the Netherlands- Stamppot which may ring a distant bell.

dave

Last edited:
The song "Colcannon", also called "The Skillet Pot", is a traditional Irish song that has been recorded by numerous artists, including Mary Black.[4][6] It begins:

Did you ever eat Colcannon, made from lovely pickled cream?
With the greens and scallions mingled like a picture in a dream.
Did you ever make a hole on top to hold the melting flake
Of the creamy, flavoured butter that your mother used to make?

The chorus:

Yes you did, so you did, so did he and so did I.
And the more I think about it sure the nearer I'm to cry.
Oh, wasn't it the happy days when troubles we had not,
And our mothers made Colcannon in the little skillet pot.

Top Bottom