What's new

Good Will Razor--am I nuts?

I have a #160 Gillette Good Will razor. It is intact and all the teeth are present and straight. It does have a 3/4 inch hairline crack on the bottom of the handle. Such cracks are ubiquitous with Good Will razors. It is an outstanding close and comfortable shaver on my face, and I like the looks of it. I am considering getting it re-plated in 14k gold. Am I nuts?

The reason I ask is the Good Will razor is a humble razor that is hardly a collector's item. I have never heard of anyone re-plating one.

Who cares what other folks do. If you love the razor go for it. Better to replate a razor that you would use than replate a razor that will just sit in your drawer even if it's more collectible. You do you buddy!

People reknot brushes and rescale straights because they like it even though it may not make any financial sense. :)

Most folks (like me) use a bunch of cleaner, polisher, ultrasonic, and elbow grease to get it back to it's original finish, but all that does is make it look like what it was. I think a gold one would really look great, and the Goodwill is certainly worthy of such treatment. Just don't send it to North Shore Razors or Delta Echo to get it Cerakoted in black and zombie green.

Let me preface this with I'm not a collector of vintage razors (yet); however, I would say there are three main factors to consider if you want to re-plate a razor.

1. Will it enhance the value of the razor.

2. Will it improve its looks and thereby make the user feel better about using it. (Seriously some people kinda get off on shaving with a work of art, a functional work of art but a work of art none the less.)

3. Assuming that issues 1 and 2 are not relevant: Do you have a metal allergy. For example I can develop contact dermatitis from nickle (It is worst around my ears where the arms of my glasses sit so I now wear plastic frames) and hypothetically would have a razor (even one that isn't vintage or isn't very collectable at all even if it were) replated if doing so would cover up either nickle sub-plating or a preexisting nickle top plating.

That said...do what makes you happy. I don't think there is a right or wrong when it comes to shaving really.

Are you nuts? Probably, but I'm not sure what the razor has to do with it. :001_tongu

I personally don't care enough about worn plating on brass razors to want to spring for it myself, but it makes as much sense as doing so with any other razor. If you've got the money, I don't see any reason why not to.

I have a #160 Gillette Good Will razor. It is intact and all the teeth are present and straight. It does have a 3/4 inch hairline crack on the bottom of the handle. Such cracks are ubiquitous with Good Will razors. It is an outstanding close and comfortable shaver on my face, and I like the looks of it. I am considering getting it re-plated in 14k gold. Am I nuts?

The reason I ask is the Good Will razor is a humble razor that is hardly a collector's item. I have never heard of anyone re-plating one.

If you think the crack could get worse, or you want a perfect specimen to re-plate, you could place a WTB for a crack-free handle in the BST.

Hi,

Of course you are nuts. You are with us, right? :p

So, you want to make an old razor new again. Maybe not so nuts. ;)

Another vote for Go For It!

Stan

I'd say go for it! I have a Goodwill that has been replated in 24k gold by Chris at RazorPlate, and it's stunning!

It's your razor and your money, how you spend it is entirely your business.

If you're going to go ahead might I suggest rose gold as a more sturdier substitute.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
58.JPG

Heres mine replated / what do you think
it shaves great!

Go for it! I did with my single ring old type and am happy that I did (see avatar to the left). It's the only DE razor I use now! Also, when you send it into be plated, they can put a little solder into that crack to make sure it doesn't open up any further over time. Not that it would, for sure, but hey pre-plating is the time to do it.

Top Bottom