What's new

Saccharine. Who knew?

I put white sugar, the nasty stuff, in my after dinner coffee, not measured just poured in 'til it tastes right.

dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My Grandmother and much of her family used a saccharine concentrate called Sweeta, and it is still available. I don't know how it compares in price to the tablets, but a bottle of that stuff lasted forever.

However, man, one of the best thing I ever did for myself was to get myself off sweeteners. I grew drinking Coke after Coke, and much of the tea I has was heavily sweetened. I would load my tea up with Sweeta. When I got older and started drinking coffee, I would add at least a couple lumps or packets of whatever to it.

I got off sweeteners, altogether, in time. I put nothing in my coffee or tea, and I might have a few sweetened soft drinks over the course of the year. It wasn't a particularly easy switch to make, but it worked, and it wasn't long before I greatly preferred unsweetened drinks. My wife ended up doing the same thing and, while she still enjoys her sweet drinks more than I do, she's also happier for making a change.

First of all, it just makes like easier when I don't need to look for a sweetener or worry what's in it. As far as soft drinks go, it's just cheaper. Like Mick said, it's a lot easier to drink higher quality coffee or tea without sweetener in the first place, and I you may very well come out ahead financially if you cut out sodas.

I hope I'm not preaching too much. That's not my intent. If you truly enjoy the sweet, go for it. It's just that many I know find themselves is something of a similar dilemma but say that "can't do it" when it comes to moving away from sweetened drinks. I'm just here to tell you that, if you want it, you can do it.

Cheers!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
[MENTION=92373]TexLaw[/MENTION] , it is just so. Fakes are poison; real sugar bad for you/bad for some people (including me).

I can drink white tea, at any rate, without sweeteners. Have to work on the rest.

AA

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Mandrake, have you never wondered why I consume only distilled sugar, or rain sugar, and only pure-grain sugar?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I use raw local honey.

+1 All artificial sweeteners are bad for you. Honey does not cause the blood glucose spikes that sugars do. Sucks if you are allergic though. Are you allergic to processed honey? Just be sure it's not Chinese diluted with HFCS.

We buy the sugar cubes. We stopped diet drinks and lost weight. I normally only use 2 cubes per cups, but I do drink three cups per day. I used to put 8 cubes per cup.

Honey has more glucose than sugar by weight, ok it's possibly more natural, but for blood sugar spikes watch yourself. I've never read anything reputable and bad about Stevia. I remember when I was PRE diabetic and asking my doctor if honey was OK and he chuckled. Avoid the artificial sweeteners, stick with Stevia or small amounts of cane sugar. In reality the best thing is to ween yourself from sweeteners all together.

Artificial sweeteners screw up my insides something awful. I get more bunged up than the Hoover Dam.
I drink mainly water and the occasional coffee.

I drink it black. But if I want sugar, it's either maple sugar or maple sirup. Then again I am Canadian and can get the stuff cheaper than what they sell it at the store.

If you need sugar in coffee, I would recommend trying different kind (country of origin and roast) and drinking the first cup black. You never know, it might be cheaper and healthier in the long run. Brewing method can also change the taste for some people.

Starting back in college I was a Sweet n Low guy, and stayed that way until I moved to Holland as an expat for a year and came to enjoy black coffee. Now that I've been "enlightened" with all of the fantastic small roasting offerings both local and online, I've even converted SWMBO to drinking it just about black (with a splash of skim for her.)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Learned: good Chinese Oolong - and some others - just don't need sugar.

Yes, black teas are amazing with sugar - and milk - but in order to try and be healthy - and get some a.m. caffeine - this will work.

Unfortunately, the precise boiling and brewing times are hard to work into daily routine. Working on it.

AA

Top Bottom