What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" February 20th - February 26th, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely, lovely, lovely.... How was the soap? I always miss out on the LEs!
Thanks Ron. L&L is a quality soap. Excellent glide, post shave feel. For me, very to whip up yogurt like lather and in jar the Unconditional Surrender soap aroma is stronger than the toner aftershave. I like strong aromas but this one I can really make out the geranium, some jasmine and I believe some black tea. Also a little on the sweet side. Think the amber, Tonka bean and amyris which are sweeet by nature really bring out the aroma of the geranium. I'm going to see if I leave the lid off if the aroma will die down some. My granddaughter is here and she stated I smelled like an old woman and she was about 9-10 ft away in the kitchen. I like it anyway.

You asked about the Wilkinson Empire and still trying to get the hang of it. Need to do a better job of honing the blades as two straight days the shave was rough. Normally I do just two passes but I had to do 3 passes and then finished up couple of spots with a Shick G1 Injector I had on the counter.

SOTD - Friday, February 24, 2017 - Hulk Smash Leviathan

Soap: Barrister and Mann Leviathan
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft The Hulk Synthetic
Razor: Maggard MR5 with Standard V3 head
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Post1: Osma Bloc d'Alum
Post2: Cedar Rose Water
After Shave: Adidas Dynamic Pulse

proxy.php

February 23, 2017

Very excited about this shave

Pre: hot towel, Nivea deep cleaning face scrub
Bowl: jays clays
Brush: Maggards synth
Razor: 1965 Gillette TTO Flare tip (refurb by Delta Echo)
Blade: Astra SS
Cream: AoS Lavender
Post1: hot towel, alum, cold towel
Post2: AoS Lavender

First time with my Birth Year Gillette razor. It is much lighter in weight than my other razors. Very mild, tough to feel the blade. Very comfortable and very close shave. It's a keeper! Kudos to AofS. I've not used their products in a couple of years but always liked them. Great performers even if they are more expensive than should be. Solid glass bottle for the Balm.

20170223_225613.jpg

Feather AC SS & Feather Professional
Epsilon 2-Band Badger
Le Pere Lucien Cedar & Patchouli SS
Osma Alum & Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore AS

2017-02-24

Ikea bowl ¤ Semogue 680 ¤ Rotbart + 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Fine American Blend ¤ fine American Blend AS ¤ T&H Clubman

proxy.php

SOTD, Friday, February 24th, 2017

Shower at gym + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Cella shave soap
Simpson badger brush
Schulze 6/8" "Friday" straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Cella aftershave

proxy.php

Razor: C-Mon HF

Strop: Kanayama

Soap: MWF

Brush: WW Custom Badger

Aftershave #1: Thayer’s WH

Aftershave #2: Small Batch Shave Tonic

Balm: Neutrogena

Talc: Clubman

IMG_6121.jpg

Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Lord SC
Brush: SOC Cherry
Soap: Elvado Wild Mint Lime

Parker 65R
Feather (24)
RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore (116)
RazoRock Plissoft
Brut Dominant Locion / AoS Ocean Kelp ASB
Estee Lauder Pleasures for Him

proxy.php

Saturday Planned SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Executive Shaving Claymore SE\MR9
Blade: Feather Pro (D2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers THBS Black Wolf 25mm
Bowl: The Distinctive Goat Style 3 5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: Ginger Garden Aventus
Pre-Shave Balm: TSD Oakmoss Sandalwood
Shave Soap: Viking Soaps Tree of Life
Aftershave: AOS Sandalwood Balm

Parker 65R
Feather (24)
RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore (116)
RazoRock Plissoft
Brut Dominant Locion / AoS Ocean Kelp ASB
Estee Lauder Pleasures for Him

proxy.php

Nice!
So, you're keeping track of the number of times using Santa Maria del Fiori?!
How far down are you?

* February 24, 2017 *
~

Shaving Soap/cream - De Vergulde Hand (Stick Soap)
Brush - Edwin Jagger Synthetic Silvertip
Razor - Merkur 38C
Blade - LORD Super Stainless Extra
After shave - LEA 3in1 + Skino

proxy.php

Nice!
So, you're keeping track of the number of times using Santa Maria del Fiori?!
How far down are you?

Hey Sarimento! I been using *only* this tub of soap since September 26, 2016. There's a deep divot that goes ~3/4 to the bottom of the jar but there's still solid soap along the sides. I've got a long way to go...maybe 2 months or so I estimate.

Schick Type M Injector
Schick blade
Maggards 24mm marble handle synthetic brush
Nivea Sensitive shaving cream
Skin Bracer aftershave

2/24/2017
sotd
1. hot shower
2. art of shaving lavendar pre shave oil
3. semogue boar with sterling noir
4. LORD head from 3 piece/Custom Handle from ROD GEORGE . amazing hand made one of kind work, also a super nice guy with cheap prices.
5. feather blade (1)
6. shulton old spice a.s. / vintage admiral decanter NOS 1st use today . Fresh and amazing.

02/24/17 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Detroit Grooming Ludington Glycerin Bar Soap
RazoRock XXX LE Shave Soap
Wolf Whiskers Blue Train Custom 24mm Silvertip Badger Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Crown King Shavette - Bone Scales Handle - First & Last? Shave
Derby Extra Half Blade - 1st Shave
RazoRock Alum Stick
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue Cooling After Shave
NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm

Today I did something new for me in the world of shaving! I tried a replicable blade, single edge razor – The Crown King Shavette with Bone Scales. Keep in mind, I also never used a standard straight edge. As expected, it was the roughest shave I had in a long time, maybe ever. Just call me “Bloody Nick”. As expected, doing something that is almost an art for the first time, I had difficulty trying to find a comfortable way to hold the razor, and even just seeing what I was doing. Between trying to keep my hands and arms out of the way and being half blind and at a distance from the mirror, I found it very awkward passing the razor at a good consistent angle, stroking the contour of my face, keeping the razor parallel with my skin and not applying pressure. My face was a bit raw after the shave and yes the alum stung when done. I am right hand is dominant, and my right cheek faired the best. I cut myself on the first pass on the left side closer to the jawbone. My neck was not too bad, but trying to get around my chin was the toughest. I was able to get an acceptable shave, closeness wise; but for sure it is not as smooth as my typical shaves – and definitely the blood is not a standard affair I encounter. My hat goes off to those of you that can do this on a daily basis. I will certainly give this razor a rest, give my face a break, and maybe try again next weekend if I am up to it. I think I need to watch some more videos now that I have tried it myself once and can relate better to what is happening. I’m not sure this type of shaving is for me. I have enough DE & SE razors that I love using, are comfortable and provide very enjoyable shaves. I had to give this a try, but in the end, I have to like what I am doing, or it becomes an unnecessary chore instead of a pleasurable experience. At least for now, I can say I gave it a try and even though it was rough, the adventure was fun, but definitely not something I’m ready to go all in on.
Steve

B IMG_4530.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom