What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Le Grelot
From the pics online, this razor was in pretty sad shape - in addition to the heel being reshaped it was rusty and tired. The seller and I agreed on a price and I'm glad I pulled the trigger. The hollow ground blade is amazingly thin. At 15/16 it feels bigger than a full 1" blade. The reshaping did not hurt the edge even though the jimps are a bit ground off. Glad to add this to my collection of 14s.

I love old razors like this one; I have limited my SRAD to shapes these days. this one is a Baxter, apparently from Bury St Edmund's (in Suffolk) but I suppose it was most likely made in Sheffield. Plenty of patina and I don't care!

Baxter.jpg

C.

These to found their way to my door today, W&B 11/16 near wedge and a Germania Cutlery Oxford 13/16 full hollow.

Attachments

• wade oxford.jpg
    wade oxford.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 26
IMG_0263.JPG

Wester brothers. Manganese steel. A few battle scars and a little rust. Minimal hone wear though.

Straightened the spine on the dmt coarse and set the bevel on the dmt extra fine. 200 laps on bbw with coticule slurry and 100 laps on coticule with water and 100 with mineral oil.

Gonna be a nice Monday morning shave.

Picked up this unique little 5/8 wedge yesterday. On one side of the tang it has CLIM with an ax running through it, on the other, Schmachtenberg Bros Solingen - Germany.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know nothing about it. But it has great lines. It's a barber's notch. It seems to be in excellent shape. Let us know how it shaves.

Nice looking Koraat blade, to say the least. So he'll make you a blade sans scales? That's neat. What does a blade run you if you don't mind me asking?

With shipping, the blade above is ~$150. The modifications that were price uppers were going to a bellied hollow (50 euros) and the French point (5 euros). You can really get wild with the mods though (go to custom razors, single blades, blade configurator).

My hiatus didn't last too long. Found this at a consignment store while my much better half was picking out fabric in the store next door. She gets a restored recliner. I got a new to me 4/8s that looks like it was used just enough to earn a water spot or two.

Henckels, Zwillingswerk 75.5

DSC_3121 - Henckels 75 after light cleanup.jpg

Top Bottom