What's new

Semogue 620 vs. 610 vs. 820 vs. 830 etc

Bumpity bump! I've got a bit of Semogue fever going on. I'd love to hear any further impressions about these four brushes.

Moreso on the undyed 90% tops brushes (610, 820) - I like a soft face feel, but have heard a couple of comments to the effect of the 610 being a limp noodle once broken in.

Bumpity bump! I've got a bit of Semogue fever going on. I'd love to hear any further impressions about these four brushes.

Moreso on the undyed 90% tops brushes (610, 820) - I like a soft face feel, but have heard a couple of comments to the effect of the 610 being a limp noodle once broken in.
Thats what she said:redface:

I want to know the same thing. I love the dimensions and lathrering ability of my VDH boar brush but I would like something much better built in boar. I have a Semouge 1470 and I love it but I want something of the Semouge quality but VDH size.

I've seen people mention that the 620 is scratchy. Maybe I need to try more brushes since I face lather I really like my 620 it works great and it doesn't scratch my face at all. I'm thinking softer badgers are great with bowl lathering or creams but I've worried that with face lathering one would get kinda limp?

I have both and find they are different enough to justify owning both- as if justification was needed. The 610 was softer out of the box, but as the 620 breaks in, it is becoming fantastic.

My 620 arrived today and I've just finished cleaning it. It's currently sitting in the bathroom, filled with a rich lather, drying. I will face lather with it tomorrow. My first impressions are that it is AH-MAZING! I love the dimensions, the feel of the handle, the style! The knot is so smooth and yet so sturdy I really do expect it to become my favourite. I will most likely buy the 610 because I am interested in the difference between dyed and undyed hair. I want to do a side-by-side comparrison and use the two interchangably as my daily-drivers.

I love Semogue.

I've seen people mention that the 620 is scratchy. Maybe I need to try more brushes since I face lather I really like my 620 it works great and it doesn't scratch my face at all. I'm thinking softer badgers are great with bowl lathering or creams but I've worried that with face lathering one would get kinda limp?
Agreed, also a face latherer. At no point did I find my 620, which I've had for nine months now, to be scritchy in the least. It feels downy soft on my face; I couldn't imagine it feeling any softer.

Just start getting one at a time, but wait.... you would save on shipping if... oh never mind.
I just made the mistake of ordering the 830 from the UK... then reading this thread and deciding I want to the 620 as well and ordering that from the same UK store... too bad they posted the 830 three hours ago. No combined shipping here. I'm looking forward to receiving both, and then explaining to my wife that although they may look the same... they are actually VERY different.

I've used brushes for almost 20 years, but up until about 2 months ago they've always been drugstore cheapies.
I bought the Semogue 620 at the beginning of 1/17 and I find it to be an amazing brush, it feels great. I'm a face latherer, if that helps.

I'm going to buy a 610 soon, just to compare them.

620 - the scritchiest and slowest to break in
610 - the "medium" grade - breaks in reasonably quickly, good backbone and good softness. It's probably the Goldilocks for a number of reasons.
820 - See the 610, only a tad larger
830 - Premium 90% tops - fastest break-in, softest tips, least backbone

Nice summation. Thanks for sharing.

620 - the scritchiest and slowest to break in
610 - the "medium" grade - breaks in reasonably quickly, good backbone and good softness. It's probably the Goldilocks for a number of reasons.
820 - See the 610, only a tad larger
830 - Premium 90% tops - fastest break-in, softest tips, least backbone

Terrific summary!

Going thru this thread it seems the 610 gets the highest praise, see post #37 and #3 for example. Anyone who has tried it and still prefers one of the others? If so why do you prefer it?

Here's my 610 after a week of use (4 shaves and a few hand lathers). It's softening up nicely considering how stiff it was when it first arrived.

IMG_4373.jpg

I do not have an 830 to compare. However, I do have an Omega and a restored Ever Ready both with higher loft boar knots.

If you face lather like me, you'll want the shorter loft of the 610/620. The springiness of the higher loft makes it a little harder to control the lather. I end up flinging lather all over me the sink and the bathroom floor.

I thought I read somewhere that the 610 and the 620 are identical but for the faux badger rings on the 620??

Top Bottom