What's new

Now that this listing is over..

Legion

Staff member
Hmmm... Some sort of Jnat? It went for a bit, and had 14 bids, so there was some interest.

Hopefully someone here got it and can provide a review.

Yo. And unless you were willing to sell your car, none of you were beating me for it. That was one of those want it so bad put a ridiculous max bid auctions for me.
Hmmm... Some sort of Jnat? It went for a bit, and had 14 bids, so there was some interest.

Hopefully someone here got it and can provide a review.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'm so glad you got that. I've never seen anything like it. Looking forward to your review.

Thanks. I used the money I saved by not fighting over your new Thuri.
I THINK it's an unusually hard mashup of coticule and rouge during salm... But really nothing would surprise me. My Initial thought was "wow that's the best example of rdsalm I've ever seen." Looking at it more I decided that it was sure to be good, whatever it turns out to be. The texture of it screams ultra-hard coti, and stones that look like that have never disappointed me.

All I could see was "brick sawn in half..." showing you what I know about stones.
I'm looking forward to your review too.

I'm not sure. I have seen cherts with colors like that but I have no idea. I actually didn't throw any bids at it. The action it had made me curious.

19980377486_0c696c4aff_b.jpg

It arrived. It's mostly flat but I roughed it a touch with my 140 diamond plate to be sure. High center, so not dished. It's fast (at least with 140 scars on it). Pulls swarf away almost as fast as my 8k DMT. It's hard. Very, very hard. And heavy, very heavy. Like... Arkansas hard and heavy. I'll weigh and scratch test it when I get some time off.

Won't get a shave off it for a day or two, but HHT is about as good as they get (startling, considering how much swarf it pulled). I'm thinking on Monday I'll try to find time to weigh, scratch test, and polish the surface a bit. I should have a shave test off the rough surface before then.

Pictures are pretty accurate, but don't show how glittery the stone is, almost like it has tiny flecks of silver scattered throughout.

It was silent falls so not suggesting tooth, but I didn't scope it, so can't say for sure. Really can't rule out anything yet, only had a few minutes with it. Slurry was off-white when I lapped it... So I would guess that suggests not RDS... But more time will tell.

Looks very nice! Good score I would say. Sometimes mystery stones make the best sharpeners. I had an uncle who had a stone that was slightly smaller than 9" long and 4" wide. It was a red and grey mottled like the stone you have. It was crazy hard and very smooth to touch yet it would put a final finish on an edge that was fantastic. He used it mainly for knives chisels and plane irons. I told him over and over that when he got older and no longer wanted it that I would gladly buy it. But he died suddenly and the children liquidated all his tools and shop without a word.

He always joked that it was a piece of meteorite, that he found and had cut, but I think he was just being a wise guy.
I have never seen another like it and have never used a stone that would work as well as it did.

Top Bottom