What's new

OneBlade: $588 razor? Really?

View attachment 762214
+1.......now you have me interested
Going for shave no#3 tonight on the OneBlade @alex2363. Now the one I purchased from a gentleman who purchased 2 of the version 1, sold me his second or extra one. I don't have the version 2. My review is solely on the first release because I wanted to get my own thoughts on it including the use and longevity of the Feather and modified Gem blade. 2 be honest, the first 2 shaves with the OB & Feather blade were as good a shave as I've had from any de I own. Jury still out, but looking good so far.....

Shave #3
Ok Gents (and Ladies), got my third shave in today. Last night was not possible, but got it done today.The V1 OB, the same blade Feather fhs-10 that I started with. Only changes I made today was using the Semogue Boar #1305, and Shannon's Soap Silk Pajamas. 2days stubble. Let's get to it.
Pass 1 WTG N-S from sideburns on down. Really nice first pass. No pulling or tugging from the Feather. I had to look twice that I inserted a blade.
Pass 2 ATG S-N from bottom of neck to sideburns. This was as good a 2nd pass as any I've had in the previous first two shaves. The blade felt smooth, comfortable and just mowed away the whiskers without a hitch. No pulling or tugging whatsoever. This was nice. I can sincerely say that I could have stopped right here. DFS!! But, I'm a BBS chaser......
Pass 3 XTG ear to nose, both sides. This was just an extended buff pass to be honest. Cleaned up the chin, left and right just under the jawline and Sir Adams Apple. Put the razor down and done.
Rinse, alum pass, cleaned the razor, blade and brush and rinsed again to remove the alum. Quick Thayers Witch Hazel, and Nivea balm. The post shave feel I am feeling right now is just pure amazing. 3rd shave with this razor and Feather blade, and not a single nick, cut, or slice. BBS, and the best one of the 3, period. No irritation, no discomfort of any kind. I am starting to believe that you cannot cut yourself with this thing unless you pull the blade out and try to shave with it by hand. Just an awesome shave.
I guess I will try another shave with the same blade. No signs yet of slowing down. This is just getting better and better. Round 4 next.....

So, got shave #4 in yesterday evening. Here's the skinny.
No changes made except for the soap, which was BlackBeard from WSP. OB, first Feather fhs-10 blade, and Zenith Best badger. Shower, and a face scrub prep. 2 day stubble to cut. Lets do this.
Pass 1 WTG N-S sideburns to neck. Put the razor to the face, and started feeling the slightest tug and pulling. Just a couple of spots, but it was there. More noticeable in the neck area. Not so smooth.
Pass 2 ATG S-N from bottom of neck to sideburns. Same thing, a little more pulling during this pass especially in the jawline area. Felt a tad more rougher on this pass. Definitely not as sharp as the first 3 shaves with this blade. But finished it with just some slight irritation. Not uncomfortable, but noticeable.
Pass 3 WTG ears to nose, both sides. The first 2 passes did get the job done in removing hair, but left a couple spots in the neck and jawline. Just an extended buff and clean up. No nicks, cuts or weepers. Rinse, and the Alum pass was a sure indicator of how the shave went. Noticeable irritation in a few spots, not cringe worthy, but I felt it. Cleaned up, another rinse splashed some Thayers WH and Nivea sensitive as balm. Done deal. Not BBS, but DFS for sure.
Well, as I've said during the shave, not as comfortable as shave as the previous ones, but it still gave me a decent shave at the expense of some post shave irritation. This blade for me has seen enough. In the end, I got 3 really close, and comfortable shaves. The fourth was not so comfy, but not pain inducing by any stretch. Four shaves from the fhs-10. Great razor, great blade and great shaves. I have no complaints. Easy to use, and get a clean smooth shave. Million Dollar shave, no experience necessary......

It's simply impossible to have a bad shave with this razor. Ever time I use it, even with a mediocre performing soap or cream, I have an excellent shave. These guys made an outshanding product.
My only complaint is the lifetime of the FHS blades. They don't last more than one or two good shaves. So, they're expensive for just two shaves.

The Gillette Fusion mindset.

Guys,
Part of the reason a lot of us started back to either SE or DE shaving with either vintage or some of the new DE and SE razors was to avoid some of the extremely high cost of the cartridge razor systems.
That being said, I guess I just do not understand the price of the OneBlade system! Not only is the razor extremely expensive, but if you truly have to use a fresh blade everyday, WOW! I guess you have to be in the Mercedes or BMW mindset to buy one of these razors? It is truly just for the guy or gal who does not care about cost, it is just about the luxury!
I buy more razors than I would like to admit, but this one just does not make sense to me no matter how good it shaves.

Wonder if OneBlade will release a V3 that takes a custom Feather AC type blade that's been shortened by Feather to OneBlade's specifications? The off the shelf FHS-10 is not the optimal size, seems to me it's too wide for a clean sheet design like the OneBlade.

fellow tribe fan?

Guys,
Part of the reason a lot of us started back to either SE or DE shaving with either vintage or some of the new DE and SE razors was to avoid some of the extremely high cost of the cartridge razor systems.
That being said, I guess I just do not understand the price of the OneBlade system! Not only is the razor extremely expensive, but if you truly have to use a fresh blade everyday, WOW! I guess you have to be in the Mercedes or BMW mindset to buy one of these razors? It is truly just for the guy or gal who does not care about cost, it is just about the luxury!
I buy more razors than I would like to admit, but this one just does not make sense to me no matter how good it shaves.
I understand your point. I believe that the maker/founder of OneBlade was to cater to a specific niche market. The Executive, Wall Streeter, the six figure salary maker who is searching for a premium product at a premium price. I'm not making the argument for or against the OneBlade makers. My argument is based solely on performance and execution. I'm not an executive, a Wall Street guy and by no means a six figure earner (sure wish I was :302:). But this is part of what I enjoy doing. I like to see things for myself and try them. Expensive? Yes, but so was buying a pack of smokes everyday for 22 years. (Quit 7 years ago). Don't drive a Beemer or Benz (ford expedition & Harley Breakout) but I do enjoy purchasing once in a while fine workmanship and attention to detail man tools. I'm a CNC Operator and that's where I make my living. Price is what you are willing to pay for said service or merchandise. The value is in one's own eye, no other perspective matters. We save and pinch our pennies, and we allow ourselves to indulge in the perceived "finer things in life" every now and then. $339 was my price of admission. Worth it? Absolutely. Is it the end all be all razor for all of humanity? No, not necessarily. But, I will say this. It's the easiest, fastest and smoothest way to achieve a BBS shave without giving a thought to technique, pre shave routine, or more importantly TIME. And for most, time is of the essence. Monday -Friday work week and you want a good effortless quick shave in under 5 minutes without a cut, nick, weeper or irritation while one eye is closed and you have a trembling hand holding your favorite cup of coffee or drink at 5am need to be out the door by 5:20? IMHO, you don't have to look no further than the OneBlade. And yes, I just gave you the majority of the blue collar types that at one point or another during the hectic week that we call our lives may encounter from time to time. Maybe a little exaggeration, but not far off from the truth. Bottom line is this, it gives a great shave everyday. Blades are a little expensive. I get 4 shaves out of one. Not great, but ok. I still have 59 more blades to go, x 4 = 236 shaves. In theory hopefully. You can outsource purchasing the blades via other mediums and not have to subscribe to OneBlade and get real good pricing. In the long run it just might be cheaper than you think owning one. But, that's just my $.02 worth. Hopefully OneBlade's business model falls apart and we can get blades dirt cheap. Who's the winner then?:001_smile

Typically a smartphone costs more than the Oneblade. Typically a cellphone plan costs more than $30/month.
I do not know a single family with kids that are older than 14 where every member of the family does not have a smartphone.
I know many people that buy a new phone every two years even if the one they have is 100% fine. Actually I would say that it is the norm.
And the vast majority of them don't drive luxury cars, on the contrary.
Then I read on forums that the Oneblade is a luxury item.

I understand your point. I believe that the maker/founder of OneBlade was to cater to a specific niche market. The Executive, Wall Streeter, the six figure salary maker who is searching for a premium product at a premium price. I'm not making the argument for or against the OneBlade makers. My argument is based solely on performance and execution. I'm not an executive, a Wall Street guy and by no means a six figure earner (sure wish I was :302:). But this is part of what I enjoy doing. I like to see things for myself and try them. Expensive? Yes, but so was buying a pack of smokes everyday for 22 years. (Quit 7 years ago). Don't drive a Beemer or Benz (ford expedition & Harley Breakout) but I do enjoy purchasing once in a while fine workmanship and attention to detail man tools. I'm a CNC Operator and that's where I make my living. Price is what you are willing to pay for said service or merchandise. The value is in one's own eye, no other perspective matters. We save and pinch our pennies, and we allow ourselves to indulge in the perceived "finer things in life" every now and then. $339 was my price of admission. Worth it? Absolutely. Is it the end all be all razor for all of humanity? No, not necessarily. But, I will say this. It's the easiest, fastest and smoothest way to achieve a BBS shave without giving a thought to technique, pre shave routine, or more importantly TIME. And for most, time is of the essence. Monday -Friday work week and you want a good effortless quick shave in under 5 minutes without a cut, nick, weeper or irritation while one eye is closed and you have a trembling hand holding your favorite cup of coffee or drink at 5am need to be out the door by 5:20? IMHO, you don't have to look no further than the OneBlade. And yes, I just gave you the majority of the blue collar types that at one point or another during the hectic week that we call our lives may encounter from time to time. Maybe a little exaggeration, but not far off from the truth. Bottom line is this, it gives a great shave everyday. Blades are a little expensive. I get 4 shaves out of one. Not great, but ok. I still have 59 more blades to go, x 4 = 236 shaves. In theory hopefully. You can outsource purchasing the blades via other mediums and not have to subscribe to OneBlade and get real good pricing. In the long run it just might be cheaper than you think owning one. But, that's just my $.02 worth. Hopefully OneBlade's business model falls apart and we can get blades dirt cheap. Who's the winner then?:001_smile

I certainly did not intend to cause argument here. I have been reading a lot of posts on this site for years, but rarely post replies, so with what little I have to say... I did not mean to say this razor does not have it's place in this community, it clearly does!
As for it being a luxury item, yes it is regardless of what anyone thinks. The job of shaving your face can be done at a much lesser cost and to a large degree with the same BBS the OneBlade can do. From that standpoint, it is a luxury shaver.
As I said earlier, a lot of us got away from the Gillette cartridge razors because we were sick of paying $4 for a five or six blade cartridge of blades that lasted about five shaves.
I think the OneBlade is a very cool looking razor and it is still not out of my thought process to one day own it.
I have been hopeful that maybe one of the next iterations of the razor offers some options for blades or something that can last beyond one or two shaves.
As with anything we buy in this world, the beauty and value is in the hands of the buyer.

Different strokes for different folks. The OneBlade may be the best thing since sliced bread, but no way can I justify spending nearly $600 on a razor.

I certainly did not intend to cause argument here. I have been reading a lot of posts on this site for years, but rarely post replies, so with what little I have to say... I did not mean to say this razor does not have it's place in this community, it clearly does!
As for it being a luxury item, yes it is regardless of what anyone thinks. The job of shaving your face can be done at a much lesser cost and to a large degree with the same BBS the OneBlade can do. From that standpoint, it is a luxury shaver.
As I said earlier, a lot of us got away from the Gillette cartridge razors because we were sick of paying $4 for a five or six blade cartridge of blades that lasted about five shaves.
I think the OneBlade is a very cool looking razor and it is still not out of my thought process to one day own it.
I have been hopeful that maybe one of the next iterations of the razor offers some options for blades or something that can last beyond one or two shaves.
As with anything we buy in this world, the beauty and value is in the hands of the buyer.
No intention of argument was perceived on my end friend. And I hope I did not come off as argumentative, those were not my intentions. Just an opinion stated on a different point of view and perception is all. No harm or contention was aimed at any particular comment or in general for that fact. Just an exchange of thoughts and opinions expressed between Gentleman who respectfully agree to disagree. And I agree with you 100% in that "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder".

Respectfully, Gus

You may be correct (but none of the other safety razors that I have gets even close to how the Oneblade performs, there may be other equivalent or even better razors out there but as I said somewhere else I do not own them so I have no way to know it maybe somebody else can chime in) but what I meant is that you do not need to be among the people that drive luxury cars to buy a Oneblade. It is perfectly affordable as many other items that we use daily in our life.

Nobody likes to pay more for an item than they have to. You don't seek out the highest price possible. A razor is a blade holder nothing more. OneBlade is apparently a very well designed blade holder. You can't make love to it though.

If cost per blade is an issue as it is with me also, a Gem will work fine. Today I used a trimmed Gem with the OB and the difference between the dedicated feather and the gem IMO is imaginary. I still got BBs in 2 and corrections, took the same time to shave.

Interested in how this works out for. Keep us posted. BTW, do you have a V1 or V2 OneBlade?
I have two I bought used. The V1 came from Steve Hardy, the one he did the reviews with and a couple of days ago I received the second one, a product of a trade, which I don't know what version it is, so I e mailed the OB team giving the serial number asking which version it is.
The reason I did this is because just before the release of the V2 people were getting the V2 thinking it was the V1 and this one happens to have a head that moves laterally a bit more than the V1 so it could be V2 without knowing, as Steve told me his V2 does the same.
I'll keep you posted about the punch I'm going to devise for cutting the Gem all in one go.

Top Bottom