What's new

Figured out a few things for a closer shave...

I've been able to get a decent shave for a while with a straight razor but to get the chin and upper lip area really smooth has frequently meant that I would just get out the DE.

The decent shave would, of course, come from doing several passes in differing directions but in those trouble areas it was still rougher than I would prefer without using a DE to finish.

The final step for me that has resulted in a smooth shave without having to touch-up with a DE has been what I would describe as "scraping". :)

This is after all the other steps so there is little hair left to remove. By scraping I mean instead of moving in the direction toward the edge I'm pulling toward the spine. This allows me to use a little more pressure without cutting myself as the motion is more like stropping than honing except that I am actually using the edge and not keeping it flat as you would with stropping.

Using that motion as the last step on my chin and upper lip resulted in as smooth a shave as I would get using a DE or cartridge. You couldn't really shave that way if there was much hair to remove but it does seem to do the trick on those two areas after most of the hair has already been removed.

I don't know if this helps anyone else but since it's made a lot of difference for me I thought I'd post my experience. Maybe this is just an intermediate step for me I don't know. Maybe I'll find a way to get the same results without "scrapping" at some point in the future. If so, I'll let you know. :)

Seatleshaver,
I have the same problem but only if I am shaving upwards against the grain on these areas. Sorry but I do not understand your description of your successful method.
Are you suggesting that when stretching skin there is a marked difference when the streching is done below the blade to stretching above the blade?
Ian

Seatleshaver,
I have the same problem but only if I am shaving upwards against the grain on these areas. Sorry but I do not understand your description of your successful method.
Are you suggesting that when stretching skin there is a marked difference when the streching is done below the blade to stretching above the blade?
Ian
No. I realize that my description is probably unclear as well. :)

Let's use stropping as an example. When stropping we move the blade toward the spine rather than toward the edge. With shaving (and honing) we move the blade toward the edge.

We want it to cut after all. The scraping I'm talking about is moving the blade toward the spine but increasing the angle that the blade creates with your face to the point that it will cut even when you are moving toward the spine. You are scraping.

The reason you aren't getting close shaves on your chin and under your nose is that those are sensitive areas (particularly under the nose and also the nose is in the way) and with the chin it's rounded and hard to get the skin tight so in both cases it's hard to get close without cutting yourself.

Scraping allows you to get closer as you can apply a "little" more pressure without worrying so much about cutting yourself. The motion itself also flattens out the skin a little more. In the case of the chin it also helps you to position the blade for traditional cutting once you reach the underside of your chin.

Think of the motion that you use when you are scraping ice from your car windshield when you are using the downward motion if that helps to visualize what I'm talking about.

This is interesting. I would sure love to see a video of this technique as I have been trying to get the chin area for a while with little success. The only way I can get it is with an atg pass that causes major irritation.:117:

This is interesting. I would sure love to see a video of this technique as I have been trying to get the chin area for a while with little success. The only way I can get it is with an atg pass that causes major irritation.:117:
Against the grain without irritation can be achieved, by laying the blade flat against the skin and use very short buffing
action,use both hands on the blade for upper lip,i am really speaking for myself,i am afraid you have to find out for yourself.

Interesting, I don't think that I have heard of anyone else ever doing this. Like kelbro, I wonder if it will cause issues with your edges. I like to hone, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

I've now managed to switch to a more conventional technique. The "scraping" was beneficial because it reduced the chance of cutting myself so I could cut the last little bit a little closer.

However, now I'm just using a really low angle (almost against the face) and going in the traditional direction to get the last little bit.

I still haven't gotten the chin down completely. I can get it good enough to go out and not have anyone else notice but I can still feel the difference between using a straight there and using a DE. I continue to slowly improve. It's annoying to still have to use a DE afterward there to get the kind of smooth results I'm used to with a DE.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yep, the chin can be a you know what. I do N-S. Then a partial S-N. My E-W is usually done with the blade rotated at a 45° angle like this /

Still hard to get near 99% close and clean.

It has taken me about 42 shaves (6 weeks) to the chin close to the DE level. Stretch technique, low angle ATG and sharp edges are key for me.

Top Bottom