What's new

*** WINNER***Grudge Match: OT Vs NEW

Who's going to win the Grudge Match?

• The Old Type

• The NEW

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi,

I am late to this party as I was in the One Blade Challenge.

But here I go:

Round 1
Thin Cap Old on left, SC New on the right
Ball end handles on both
Fresh Personna Lab Blue blades
My Carden Farms and Oster soap mix, face lathered.
Two passes on one lathering as I always do. WTG then ATG.
The Old is shimless, BTW.

Efficiency: Old. This is my Grandfather's skin-scraper. It is always my best cutter save for my other Grandfather's cobalt steel straight.

Smoothness: New. Because it is not such a skin-scraper.

Ease of the shave New. I do not have to pay nearly as close attention with the New.

overall experience: New. The New side has no irritation. The Old side does.

Winner of round (one): New.

Now, someone tell me if I shave Old Left and New Right tomorrow as I did today, or do I reverse the sides?

Stan
Glad to see you jumping in.
The next shave you should switch sides. So OT on right and NEW on left.

Hi,

I thought so, thanks. I went back to the first post, but then it didn't seem clear.... Looking forward to tomorrow's shave. :)

Stan

Hi,

I had originally figured I would miss doing this, thinking that I would get about 14 days out of either kind of New in the One Blade Challenge. That would let me do both the SC and the LC but cause me to miss this. As it was, the SC went long and so I am saving the LC for next year.

So, now I can do this. :)

Round 2

Thin Cap Old on right, SC New on the left
Ball end handles on both
One day old Personna Lab Blue blades

Efficiency: Old. Same as Day One.

Smoothness: New. Same as Day One.

Ease of the shave: New. Same as Day One.

Overall experience: New. The New side has no irritation. The Old side does, but it does not seem like it is as much as yesterday.

Winner of round (two): New.

Here is an interesting, but expected, observation: I could feel more stubble on the New side vs the Old side prior to this morning's shave. I expected this because I usually usr my Old for an ATG pass following my usual Fasan DoubleSlant WTG and XTG on days when I need a longer period before The Shadow arrives.

Stan

Hi,

Round 3

Thin Cap Old on Left, SC New on the right
Ball end handles on both
Two day old Personna Lab Blue blades

Efficiency: Old. Same as Day One and Two

Smoothness: New. Same as Day One and Two

Ease of the shave: New. Same as Day One and Two

Overall experience: New. The New side has no irritation. The Old side does, but it does not seem like it is as much as Day One and about the same as Day Two.

Winner of round (three): New.

Again, prior to shave 3, I could feel more stubble on the New side vs the Old side.

Hmmm. I see where I have time to switch out the New SC for a LC and run this again. With a pair of new blades to be fair.

Stan

Round Eight:
Old Type with two piece handle
New Type short comb
GFT Spanish Leather
Gillette 7-O'Clock Black.

Efficiency: Tie between the Old Type and New Type
Smoothness: Old Type.
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....):Old Type.
Overall experience: Old Type easy win.

Winner of round Eight: The Old Type.

Round 2

Today's round had only a single variable - the head of the razor.

Right side: Gillette New
Left side: Gillette Old Thick Cap with 2 shims

The rest was shared:

Kai blade with 18 shaves - used the same edge for both shaves
Maggards' MR11 handle
LA Shaving Soap Co. - Spring Street
Paladin Sumo brush
Alum (for the weepers)
Chiseled Face Easy Street AS

Efficiency: Tie - both gave a great shave with the Kai. A few weepers on the Old side; none on the New side.

Smoothness: New. The Old was uncomfortable to use.

Ease of the shave: Tie. I wear a mustache so I can't compare under the nose.

Overall experience: New. Although both heads provided a very nice shave, I can feel some irritation at my jaw line on the Old's side an hour after my shave.

Winner of round: New.

Latest update

@Duke of Buckingham

Round 1=NEW: Round 2= NEW

@NinthSphere

Round 1=OT: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@troy

Round 1=NEW: Round 2= OT: Round 3=OT

@Komboloi

Round 1= Draw: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= OT

@Graydog

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@emwolf

Round 1= OT : Round 2 = OT: Round 3 = OT

@GlazedBoker

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@wgn!

Round 1=Draw: Round 2=NEW: Round 3= Draw

@DrAwkward

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=NEW: Round 3= NEW

@tylehman

Round 1=OT: Round 2= OT: Round 3= OT

@bobmsp

Round 1= NEW: Round 2= NEW:

@Pepin

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=OT: Round 3=OT

@muiriddin

Round 1=OT: Round 2=OT: Round 3=NEW

@KeenDogg

Round 1=NEW: Round 2= OT: Round 3 = NEW

@Useless shaver

Round 1=OT: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@Haggises

@rudyt

Round 1=OT: Round 2= OT

@mlb0926ad
Round 1= NEW: Round 2= OT:

@imatabor
Round 1= OT: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= NEW

@KQY61
Round 1= NEW: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= NEW

Standing so far:

Round 1
Old Type: 7
NEW: 10
Draw: 2

Round 2
Old Type: 12
NEW: 7
Draw

Round 3
Old Type: 9
NEW: 5
Draw: 1

Hi,

Round 1

Thin Cap Old on Left, LC New on the right
Ball end handles on both
New Personna Lab Blue blades

Efficiency: Old.

Smoothness: New.

Ease of the shave: New.

Overall experience: New. The New side has no irritation.

Winner of round (one): New.

This is a brand-new match up. It is the same Old Type as the last match up, but the New is my Long Comb replacing my Short Comb.

Sometimes I wonder about Grandpa's Old Type. It is the only OT I have. It has always been one to irritate me regardless of what I do with it. No shim, one shim, two shims. Doesn't matter. If I use it for more than one pass, I feel it.

I have read where other folks have OTs like mine, yet have other units that don't tend to bother them. Mine is a very late production Thin Cap Ball End from 1921 by the serial number.

Stan

Hi,

Round 2

Thin Cap Old on right, LC New on the left
Ball end handles on both

For me, it all boils down to the irritation the OT has and the New does not.

Stan

Hi,

Round 2

Thin Cap Old on right, LC New on the left
Ball end handles on both

For me, it all boils down to the irritation the OT has and the New does not.

Stan

Try a shallower angle, the OLD is smooth as silk.

Hi,

If I go any shallower, the blade will lift off my face. I always shave with the cutting edge as parallel to my skin as the razor geometry will let it.

And, I am quite used to following my face with that angle from years of using a DoubleSlant. With that, the effective angle is only a couple of degrees with a big scrape coming from one corner of the blade or the other if you let it wander.

This particular OT has always been like this since I inherited it back in 1979. I usually refer to it as a skin graft cutter.... :p

The use of one shim blade under the working blade helps a little bit, but for this run I am not using it in favor of keeping the razor stock. Normally, I only use the OT for a single pass ATG and, in that case, the irritation is minimal and I do wind up with a longer-lasting shave than with the DoubleSlant alone.

Stan

Hi,

If I go any shallower, the blade will lift off my face. I always shave with the cutting edge as parallel to my skin as the razor geometry will let it.

And, I am quite used to following my face with that angle from years of using a DoubleSlant. With that, the effective angle is only a couple of degrees with a big scrape coming from one corner of the blade or the other if you let it wander.

This particular OT has always been like this since I inherited it back in 1979. I usually refer to it as a skin graft cutter.... :p

The use of one shim blade under the working blade helps a little bit, but for this run I am not using it in favor of keeping the razor stock. Normally, I only use the OT for a single pass ATG and, in that case, the irritation is minimal and I do wind up with a longer-lasting shave than with the DoubleSlant alone.

Stan

Check the corners of the cap for little burrs on the blade side, there may be some little nibs holding the cap away from the blade.

Hi,

Stan
QC on the Old Type was not exactly up to Wolfman's standards. My guess is you got a bum Old Type. Since they are readily available and not particularly expensive, you should buy another one (or two) and see what you think. I bet you find the Old Type is better than you think it is.

Round 3

LC New with bar handle on the left and thick cap Old with ball end cap on the right with 2 shims.
Blade was a Kai with 19 previous shaves - although mostly on the other edge.

Soap was Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co.
2 passes (WTG, ATG)

Efficiency: Old. After the first pass the Old's side was closer, after the second pass, they were nearly identical. I'd say that after close examination the Old was just a touch closer, but both were excellent and I don't think that I'd notice one way or the other without really checking closely.

Smoothness: New. No weepers today, and the Old felt better than the last round, but the New outclasses my Old on this factor every shave.

Ease of the shave: Tie.

Overall experience: New. It may be the Old that I'm using - my grandfather's Brownie (I think) that he used from the time he bought it until he died in the 1990s - but I never get a comfortable shave with it. Although I can get a really smooth shave from the Old, I can get a smooth and comfortable shave from the New.

Winner of round: New.

Try a shallower angle, the OLD is smooth as silk.

Hi,

Stan

Try another make of blade?

Plus... as you perfectly know, each OT is different and has its own "character"... I have some of them which are like kittens, while others are like angry lions.... On top of it, the "proper" blade can convert one into another in no time...

My 1917 SR shines with a Feather in it... The Canadian SR I'm using these days feels really "aggressive" with a PSI...

But always using a steep angle here, btw.

Stan, maybe you need a meagre collection of OTs...

QC on the Old Type was not exactly up to Wolfman's standards. My guess is you got a bum Old Type. Since they are readily available and not particularly expensive, you should buy another one (or two) and see what you think. I bet you find the Old Type is better than you think it is.

Hi,

Maybe someday I will do that. My main issue with a different OT is that it would have zero meaning. This one was my Mom's Dad's which my Grandmother gave me when he passed on in 1979.

I did, at one time, also have a Thick Cap OT and it was not as irritating as this one is. So, is that a clue for Grandpa's Thin Cap, or just a difference between Thick and Thin? Maybe I need a pile of both to figure it out.

Or, I can keep on using this one in my usual manner: one ATG pass to gain the closer shave while minimizing irritation....

Stan

Stan... in general Thick Cap OTs are less irritating, if any, than Thin Cap ones, IME.

Sadly, I don't have any "family heirloom" razor (except the Aristocrat 1934 you allowed me to adopt as my grandad's :001_rolle).... so.... save that especial one and find yourself another!

Top Bottom