What's new

Mastro Livi Cella Milano shave set

Hi there ,
I'm thinking of buying this realy neat shave set by Mastro Livi & Cella Milano ( see picture ) and I was wondering is this good value for money ( it also includes the Grifetto )?
Now what are your experiences with a Mastro Livi Grifetto razor and Cella Milano shaving products ?
Hope that you can give some more insight on the products.

Thanks ,
Jasper
upload_2017-2-23_12-29-0.png

I have honed and shaved with a Grifetto and it hones up very nicely and shaves pretty good, if you are looking to just get started IMHO there are less costly ways to start.

Looks like a nice set. I have never shaved with a Livi, those that have praise them. My only scare here is the price as i suspect its pretty heavy knowing what Mr. Livi requires along with exchange (if applicable).

This would not be my choice for a starter razor unless i had the financial means....even then.... YMMV though so choose wisely.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Seems fine to me as long as you're not learning to hone on the razor and you learn to strop on another paddle strop - check the cost of replacement leather for that loom strop and you will be unpleasantly surprised.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the replies but what I didn't mention in the original thread was that it will be an expansion of my collection I already own and sometimes shave with a Wacker Masterclass 6/8 straight.
And yes I am aware of the cost of a replacement leather ( he certainly knows how to keep his chimney smoking ! :yikes: ).

Cheers,
Jasper

Cello. Is a really good soap. Has a marzipan like scent and lathers super easy. It is the only soap I know of though that will go bad after a couple of years.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
"Buy Once, Cry Once"

The Livi I owned was spectacular. I prefer 5/8 - 11/16 Swedish razors so off it went but I am glad I tried it. I would consider another Livi some day perhaps that wasn't such a large razor. I say go for it if your gut tells you that this will bring you happiness.

Really, it goes bad ?
It really does. It spoils. I had to throw mine out a couple of days ago. It turns brown. It gets a spoiled scent and gets white lumps in it like Whitehead's that don't break up with a brush. There are plenty of thread's on it.

It really does. It spoils. I had to throw mine out a couple of days ago. It turns brown. It gets a spoiled scent and gets white lumps in it like Whitehead's that don't break up with a brush. There are plenty of thread's on it.

I used mine this a.m and really did not pay much mind to it, smelled good and latherd good but will look when I get home, it's only maybe a year or so for age.

If you want a razor ground like that buy yourself an old ern ator in nice condition, or any other blade with that style grind in good condition and then you can experiment with the massive cost difference

I own 5 Livi razors and bought the set mainly for the razor. I never used Cella products and once I did, they are part of my shaving cycle. The pre-shave gel is the best I have tried. Coupled with the creme and you get a fantastic shave irritation free. I priced everything on its own and you save about $100 plus you get a really nice box to keep to store it in. If you have never tried the loom strop, you are in for a real experience. Without question, the best strop available. The chromium oxide on linen and the skin side makes honing very rare.

I own 5 Livi razors and bought the set mainly for the razor. I never used Cella products and once I did, they are part of my shaving cycle. The pre-shave gel is the best I have tried. Coupled with the creme and you get a fantastic shave irritation free. I priced everything on its own and you save about $100 plus you get a really nice box to keep to store it in. If you have never tried the loom strop, you are in for a real experience. Without question, the best strop available. The chromium oxide on linen and the skin side makes honing very rare.
I suggest if you buy the Cella brick, cut it up and store it Tupperware one cup containers. Lid closes tight and I whip up the later in the cup with a boar brush and your ready to go. I have them stored for over a year and there is no problem with the cream.

A bit late in this thread, but I would like to share my personal experience if you guys don't mind :)

Mastro Livi's Grifetto really is an excellent razor, so far one of the best I've ever tried! It shaves perfectly, and the steel used easily keeps the edge. I've always used a Mastro Livi loom strop, that I see is also included in this wonderful set, and so far I think it's the best strop that I've ever used for my razors.

Please find below a video I shoot some months ago about the making of my very own Grifetto: as you can see, all the work behind this wonderful razor explains his price, and trust me it's all worth it!

Top Bottom