What's new

BB pistol recomendations

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looking for a BB pistol for stray dogs chasing the cats, bad tempered cat being ugly and chasing the friendly cats, etc. that I can **** one handed for repeat shots. I have an old Crosman black powder pellet/BB pistol replica but it's CO2. And if a CO2 cartridge sits in the pistol it eventually leaks out, so I'd like a springer that can just sit until I need it.

I remember the old springers of the 1911, but you had to used your off hand to "rack the slide" after every shot. The old Colt single action replicas I remember from way back would be great, but I don't know if they make those anymore.

I have a trusty old Red Ryder, but also want something a bit more handy for up close and personal. I'd like to keep it somewhere in the $50 range.

Any suggestions?

Maybe a cheap Airsoft gun. There are plenty that are spring-activated. Unless you were really trying possibly wound the animal, I would use a spray of water for up-close-and-personal.

I would highly recommend checking the local regulations before pursuing it. Seems that animals are getting more rights than people in some places (like NY, where I am). If a BB gun isn't acceptable in your area, you could try a water gun, again, if there isn't a legal issue.

Sent via mobile - Chris

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No legal issues here...I live out in the country in Texas. It's perfectly fine to shoot stray/wandering animals with a real firearm if they are a threat to pets, livestock, or property. There has been many a dog dispatched with firearms around here for chasing cows. I'll kill a wild animal in a heartbeat if it's a threat, but I don't want to use a .22 on someone's pet that is making the rounds and harassing MY pets. The old Red Ryder has worked well...they get the hint after a couple of times...but I want something that is a bit easier to handle up close and easier to carry going out the door with my hands full while feeding the pets.

That being said, there are a couple of pit bulls that get loose from the people down the road aways and they have never chased the cats...they are the sweetest things and love to get petted. All I have to do is point in the direction of their house (which you can't see from here) and say "Go home. Git." and away they go. Apparently the pit bulls are good around cats...the guy that owns them said his wife has cats and won't have a dog around that doesn't get along with her cats.

If you TNR them they will stop that. We had aggressive feral cats but once we caught them and fixed them they were not any longer.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks joey, but that ain't gonna happen. I do have some have-a-hart traps I tried using for amadillos and caught cats instead, but not paying for getting the crazy cat fixed. She has been mean since forever. That still doesn't do anything about stray dogs.

And for close range I mean 10-15 yards, which is a little out of squirt gun range. Although I do have a squirt bottle of water handy for when the calico house cat gets a little ugly with my old grandma house cat. When I pick up the squirt bottle the calico changes her attitude. And yes, both of the house cats have been fixed.

The old Red Ryder works well; I've hit a stray dog in the butt at about 25 yards that had been harassing the outside cats and ran off in the pasture about 40 yards away, then stopped and looked at me like "You can't hit me now." I used Kentucky elevation and I can't believe I lobbed that BB in there like a mortar round...the dog dropped it's butt down and away it went. I've gotten pretty good at lobbing them in there at about 40-45 yards. I know the BB is not moving very fast at about 40 yards but it sure surprised the heck outa that dog.

Being in the city, closely packed in and in Canada, my Super Soaker sits atop the fridge beside the backdoor.

dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah Dave, in the close confines, close neighbors, small yards, etc. of city neighborhoods it's probably illegal to even throw rocks. My closest neighbors either go moo, have antlers and white tails, big teeth and fur (coyotes), or are little but still wild. A water gun here is like spitting at them.

I do have Blaze my racing 'possum though. He lives under the house. He should be ready in a couple of months for this spring's racing season...I've been working with him all winter. Here's a pic. of him eating dinner after his weight lifting workout with the log.

Now if I could just train him to be an attack 'possum. Sic 'em, Blaze.

IMG_0018.JPG

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I keep a red ryder around for the exact same reasons Mike. I don't know if the spring cocked pistols carry enough oompfh to send a, "don't come back" message do they?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Can't help you with a BB gun suggestion for one handed use. I was gonna suggest Airsoft as well, but you'd still have a problem with gas leakage over time. I don't think it is recommended to leave any type of gas compression or spring gun compressed over time, which will cause the seals to leak. Primer powered only Speer plastic bullets? Now that would be fun and non lethal! Just don't get your ammo mixed up! I still have a few boxes of .38 Spl. FX marking cartridges we used back in the day before Airsoft and Paint Ball. Those would work well to.

IMG_5272.JPG

I used to have more cayoodles running around than I care to discuss. Actually I don't care too much about what they do as long as they stay off my land. Thanks to this $15.00 item and a big bag of marbles, the dog situation has become minimal

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks, Ace. I have my old Wham O slingshot, plus several Bruce made for me (thanks Bruce; the one that had the pink lanyard on it now has match bands and blue ties...it's my favorite). Although they work well, for what I'm doing I want something a little quicker than having to grab the ammo, load the pouch, then aim and fire.

From a little poking around looks like the only springer pistol is the Beretta lookin' Daisy 340. You have to rack the slide for each shot but that would be fine.

I pulled out the old Crosman CO2 one. I only have one CO2 cartridge so I'll put that in and see how long it lasts. SWMBO is going to the store tomorrow and she'll pick up some more cartridges and a tin of pellets. I have plenty of BBs. The Crosman has a rifled barrel and if I remember right it does just fine with pellets, but I'm only going to use BBs for the dogs. I bought it for my youngest son but somehow I ended up with it. I still have the box and papers.

IMG_0002.JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Tricky to use one handed though!

You got that right. :001_smile I can shoot the Red Ryder one handed just fine, but the other day I bumped the barrel on the open storm door while making a quick, close shot...and missed. A little pistol is handier for those close, quick shots.

Nitro piston guns can remain cocked for weeks with no issue. A Benjamin Nitro Trail runs about $75. Kinda big to be carrying though.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nitro piston guns can remain cocked for weeks with no issue. A Benjamin Nitro Trail runs about $75. Kinda big to be carrying though.

I have permanently dispatched numerous skunks from my property with the same system, but Gamo brand.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Awesome possum (pawesome?)

That 1911 style BB gun was made by Marksman; shot bbs, pellets and darts - at about 150 fps.

Love cats too much to endorse shooting one with anything besides maybe a hose ... Pegging a shot near/right over bad cat might learn 'em, though.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have permanently dispatched numerous skunks from my property with the same system, but Gamo brand.

If I'm going to permanently dispatch something I'm not going to mess around with an air gun. The last skunk I got rid of I used my Colt New Frontier .22. Worked great.

Awesome possum (pawesome?)

That 1911 style BB gun was made by Marksman; shot bbs, pellets and darts - at about 150 fps.

Love cats too much to endorse shooting one with anything besides maybe a hose ... Pegging a shot near/right over bad cat might learn 'em, though.

AA

That's it, Mike. The Marksman...your post jogged my memory about the darts. Yes, the velocity was ...sssllllooooowww.

I love cats also...that's why I've popped the mean one a couple of times. Has attacked and ran off a friendly orange one (the one in the pic. with Blaze), also picks on the little friendly one (the other one in the pic. with Blaze) and runs off another friendly one that's usually gone for a couple of days at a time...and is not out there tonight. The mean one also chases and attacks my inside calico when she goes outside for the day. I would call that a rouge cat.

I tried to load the CO2 cartridge in the Crosman a bit ago and immediately lost all the gas (dang that was cold). I'll try some teflon tape over the tip of a cartridge but I may need a new seal. That's the thing about springers...you can just forget them for awhile and they still work.

Top Bottom