What's new

So I finally bought the venerable Wilkinson Sword Classic DE Razor

After years of reading people extol it's virtues, I finally gave in and bought one for $10 bucks shipped from eBay. See, I'd been reading about it for so long, saw it in plenty of videos and SOTD posts. But I couldn't get past that "it is a MILD razor" that everyone mentions in all posts about. Ive got a dense, coarse beard and "mild" is offputting.

But, after getting a free Razorock Tech and being blown away by it I pulled out my old Gillette tech and had great shaves with that for a month. So that made me rethink my thoughts about the word "mild" as its applied to razors and I figured "hey. Might as well try this thing everyone talks about."

It came in today, I put a 5th shave Feather in it to tackle 48 hours growth. WOW. 3 passes, with no-lather touchups. No blood. No nicks. No alum burn. Gave me an effortless BBS. I liked it so much I ordered two more before I put on my aftershave balm because I would easily pay $30 for one of these :D (I've paid $30 for razors that werent worth it to me).

Anyone out there had a bad experience with this thing?

Last edited:
A scan of eBay gives me 3 different choices. Could you post a picture to narrow the search? :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

image.png
A scan of eBay gives me 3 different choices. Could you post a picture to narrow the search? :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

From the seller chocolate_uk
I ordered it on the 14th and it reached me here in the states on the 23rd.

For as long as I could remember they sold them in Boots the chemist in the UK for about £5.
In 1996 when I dropped my Remington Straight Razor in the sink and rendered it useless for shaving because there was a nasty kink in the cutting edge, I bought a Wilkinson Sword Classic and used it every day for about 3 years - until I got suckered into trying out the Gillette Mach 3 on special offer, and ended up getting brainwashed into upgrading to the newer and better Mach 3 Turbo, then the newer and better M3, and finally to the newer and better M3 Power - until I came back to my senses and started DE shaving again in November 2014

For what is basically a no frills 2-piece DE razor, the Wilkinson Sword Classic is probably the best value for money - it's cheap to buy, virtually indestructible, very efficient to shave with, yet virtually harmless unless your hand slips.
IMHO - it's equally useful as a starter razor or as a travel razor

This was the main other option that had me confused:

proxy.php

I see now that it isn't a Wilkinson razor.

There's also some colored ones.

This was the razor that I received for Christmas and my first De. It has given me my best shaves ever and also my worst. I think it may be because the blade appears to lay flat rather then curved so there doesn't seem to be much of a margin of error with angle, it's either right or wrong there's no in between. Also the light weight makes it tempting to apply pressure. I'm currently using a Parker 26c and have a slim on the way but will be going back to this razor once I've developed technique as I know this razor can give a lovely shave if you hit the sweet spot with angle and pressure. As a side note I hated the blades that came with it but that may be because they were the 1st de blades I ever tried and I'm being a bad workman and blaming tools.

Anyone out there had a bad experience with this thing?

No bad experiences to report from myself. It is my first DE razor which I purchased from a high street chemist for £3.20, which I have been using most days for the last 6 months.

It is on the mild side of things but with a blade on the sharper side of things I get a 3 pass BBS without too much bother.

It's one of my favorite DE razors, no doubt. I have a backup still sealed in the original package in case something happens to the one I'm using.

The myth that coarse beard requires aggressive razor has been repeated by so many so many times. It is not a strange thing you avoided mild razors. But now you have found the truth :001_smile.

It is the blade cutting the whiskers, not the razor.

Top Bottom