What's new

How to Shave under your Nose

Today I had probably one of the best DE shaves I have had. I've been at it for a little over a month and its starting to come together. The lather building still needs work but is getting better. And I've gotten a pretty good routine down with WTG, the two different XTG passes with touch ups, resulting in little or no irritation and close to BBS.

However, the one area that still gives me a fit is the area right under your nose. I can work and work at that area and still have stubble there.
The issue seems to be blade angle.

Any tips/tricks on how to tackle this area.

BB

I have the same issue -- blade angle is difficult with my big snozz in the way. I was thinking about doing a modified Van Gogh amputation and get the darn nose out of the way so my razor could get in there easily -- but isn't that how the saying cut off your nose to spite your face originated? ;-)

I don't really have a great way to explain this, but here goes anyway...

First of all, try moving your top lip down as much as possible to stretch the area between it and your nostrils, which will look a little funny. Press your nose a little bit out of the way with the head of the razor and do a few extremely short, precise strokes, we're talking about 2mm here. Then just shave as usual.

I use a combination technique.. based off Mantic's tips and tricks (youtube: mantic59)

1. Curl my lip down toward my teeth to flatten the area. Then press my bottom curled lip to meet it, which locks it down. you should look like you have no lips showing.
2. Push my nose aside to the left and to right, this allows me to get the middle part of the upper lip. To finish it off and get BBS (baby butt smooth) I push my nose up with my index finger like some "uppity" snob. Then I go ATG.. to get that last stubble in the middle.

Hope that helps! Best of luck shaving! :thumbup1:

Have you watched all of Mantic's YouTube videos? I can't remember which one, but in one of the videos his bends this nose to the left to shave the right side of his upper lip and then bends this nose to the right to shave the left side of his upper lip. This method has worked really well for me. Sorry I can't remember which video it was.

In addition to what's in the video, here's what I do to get a better shave under the nose: pass 1, straight down; relather, pass two from the little under-nose trench outward to the edges of the mouth; relather, pass three from the edges of the mouth to the trench; relather, pass 4 straight up. I can get away without doing pass 2 in a pinch.

--Mark

I never really do a N-S pass just side strokes... never had a problem with that.
Pretty much what mantic said, pass 2 and 3 for Feather AC; 2 3 and 4 for HD.

If you're talking about getting the hairs directly under your nostrils--what I do is stick the corner of the blade into my nostril and go side to side. This ensures that none of the hair gets left unshaved.

If you're talking about getting BBS in the mustache area, then I do what Mantic said pretty much, then I add some j-hooking to finish it off.

My mustache area is very coarse, but it doesn't handle blade buffing very well. I've found J-hooking to be the best tool, which took time to get good with because J-hooking with your nose in the way is a bit tricky.

Hi, all. Long time listener, first time caller, as they say.
I came to this thread looking for an answer to this question, but from the posts/replies, I think I must be one of very few who have *my* particular problem.
I have hair that grows from that bit of skin *between* the nostrils. Not actually upper-lip, but my nose. I've kept a cheapo disposable twin blade for dealing with this spot, as my DE makes me nervous in that area. (my first DE experience was with a cheap Amazon.com ReMei with included blade, and I lost a patch of skin on my right hand moustache area the size of the end of my finger... And, I hadn't gotten a styptic pencil yet. Proverbial Stuck Pig, and couldn't shave for a week.)

SO, I'll re-re-iterate the question, in my own terms:
How do I shave, with my DE, that patch of hair the grows actually between my nostrils and continues down onto my upper lip?

Now that I look back at some of the posts, I realize that nobody has posted in this thread in 5 years...

*sigh*

Hi, all. Long time listener, first time caller, as they say.
I came to this thread looking for an answer to this question, but from the posts/replies, I think I must be one of very few who have *my* particular problem.
I have hair that grows from that bit of skin *between* the nostrils. Not actually upper-lip, but my nose. I've kept a cheapo disposable twin blade for dealing with this spot, as my DE makes me nervous in that area. (my first DE experience was with a cheap Amazon.com ReMei with included blade, and I lost a patch of skin on my right hand moustache area the size of the end of my finger... And, I hadn't gotten a styptic pencil yet. Proverbial Stuck Pig, and couldn't shave for a week.)

SO, I'll re-re-iterate the question, in my own terms:
How do I shave, with my DE, that patch of hair the grows actually between my nostrils and continues down onto my upper lip?

Now that I look back at some of the posts, I realize that nobody has posted in this thread in 5 years...

*sigh*
It is a old post:001_rolle.....but for the nose i just grab it and pull it up. No real science to it.

My Edwin Jagger DE89L would not reach several hairs under my nose. Dorco had a good sale on their Prime double edge so I decided to get one for travel. It has just a little more "reach" than the EJ and can get those hairs. I use a Feather in that one and it gets the job done. Dorco blades in the EJ gets the rest of my face just fine.

Good advice in this thread that may make things easier for me since I recently shaved off all of my beard and mustache. I practically have to stick the razor into my nostrils to shave off all the stubble. Not a fun spot to nick I may add.

If you're talking about getting the hairs directly under your nostrils--what I do is stick the corner of the blade into my nostril and go side to side. This ensures that none of the hair gets left unshaved.

If you're talking about getting BBS in the mustache area, then I do what Mantic said pretty much, then I add some j-hooking to finish it off.

My mustache area is very coarse, but it doesn't handle blade buffing very well. I've found J-hooking to be the best tool, which took time to get good with because J-hooking with your nose in the way is a bit tricky.

Came to post EXACTLY this. This is identical to the approach that I use. The only slight variation is that I do more of a diagonal stroke from the center edge of the nostril down towards the corner of my lip. This is rather than a true side to side, which seems to be somewhat more awkward for me.

I have been pulling my nose up/away with my non razor hand and then trying to position the blade as close to the bottom of my nose as possible before beginning my down stroke.

Not sure why, but this evening I pulled my nose up/away and pushed the razor up against my nose - like backing up your car until it makes contact with say a loading dock. And then I pulled the razor down. Worked like a charm. The absolute best and closest shave I have ever gotten around the bottom of my nose.

Back in and drive out!

Top Bottom