What's new

Xpec or Esbjerg

Im at the end of my shaving cream tryouts that began a couple of years ago.

Been through truefitt, panama boellis, Mikes Soaps, ABC, Xpec unscented, MDC, ADP….and sadly, Tabac (which I loathe).

Now I want to settle with just one if possible.

If I had unlimited funds Id just buy a years supply of ADP and be in heaven forever but I got into this to keep costs down.

Of all the creams I tried, I had settled on Xpec Unscented as the price:quantity ratio seems good, plus it lasts a long time.

But now Esbjerg has entered the picture.

What do you think might be a better bet?

Xpec at $60/250g or Esbjerg at $24/150g (less than $17 direct fm Esbjerg)?

Esbjerg seems to offer better value but I have tried Xpec so its a known commodity.

I have Esjberg Grapefruit, and I love it; a mainstay during my grapefruit months. Nice authentic scent and superior performance. But I've never tried Xpec. I'm kind of in a permanent restraint.

Im at the end of my shaving cream tryouts that began a couple of years ago.

Been through truefitt, panama boellis, Mikes Soaps, ABC, Xpec unscented, MDC, ADP….and sadly, Tabac (which I loathe).

If I had unlimited funds Id just buy a years supply of ADP and be in heaven forever but I got into this to keep costs down.

Of all the creams I tried, I had settled on Xpec Unscented as the price:quantity ratio seems good, plus it lasts a long time.

But now Esbjerg has entered the picture.

What do you think might be a better bet?

Xpec at $60/250g or Esbjerg at $24/150g (less than $17 direct fm Esbjerg)?

Esbjerg seems to offer better value but I have tried Xpec so its a known commodity.

I'm not familliar with Esbjerg. But if it's a question of cost, Xpec can be bought from Cannaught shaving for under $40, shipped. The Brittish Pound is down right now, so we might as well take advantage of it.

Xpec at $60/250g I have tried Xpec so its a known commodity.

Hi there,

If you wanna try the original unscented XPEC (pre reformulated), there's a guy on ebay based in Italy named oudroyal who's got some stock at a reasonable price. Shipping's not cheap but the product is. I have ordered from him before with no problems.

I use both and they are wonderful creams. As has been mentioned, Connaught's price for Xpec is very low - at the moment it's $31 and their shipping costs are very reasonable. Esbjerg's performance is excellent, but more product is needed to produce the same amount of lather, which makes me suspect that Xpec may actually be the better deal of the two, cost wise.

Edited to Add: One more thing to keep in mind... a container of Xpec contains 8.4 ounces of cream, quite a bit more than Esbjerg which contains 5.2 ounces of product.

Last edited:
Hi there,

If you wanna try the original unscented XPEC (pre reformulated), there's a guy on ebay based in Italy named oudroyal who's got some stock at a reasonable price. Shipping's not cheap but the product is. I have ordered from him before with no problems.

The reason I mentioned this vendor is he's the only one I know who was selling the older version and yes, there is difference between that and the new stuff. Hah, lots more juicy parabens in the earlier formula.

Not even close, XPEC. Fitjar is what Esbjerg longs to be. The Connaught suggestion is a good one for XPEC, $35-36 shipped.

I got my Xpec from connaught previously as Im not in the US. Good supplier and fair shipping prices.

I like the sound of this Fitjar stuff (menthol and eucalyptus, mmmmm) but along with esbjerg, this brand seems to suffer from the drawback of needing more product to build an acceptable lather. That is an indulgence I can ill afford for a daily shave.

Looks like I might have to stick with Xpec, though Im not sure Im ready to try the scented variant as a blind buy. Those tubs last a long time…lol.

Agreed on Esbjerg, lotta product lotta work, though I don't find that to be the case with Fitjar. Really fine product. I had to try the scented version of XPEC as well, I found it to be hideous, couldn't get it out of the house fast enough, thought I'd have to throw the brush away as the scent clings like agent orange or something, just godawful. But some folk love it, give it a go.

I was and still am up in the air with the scent of original XPEC. The more I use it, the more I can appreciate its sophistication. I think what I struggle with is the dark Oakmoss scent. However, one of the guys here recommended Pashana aftershave as a follow-up. I was surprised how well it compliments XPEC and how much I like it and I now use XPEC much more often. The performance is outstanding. Scent is very subjective and variable in humans and it is affected by so many things including even memories. That's why some will love XPEC and find it very masculine while others need it out of their house. Tabac soap is similar in its polarity. Come to think of it I have learned to like the smell of Tabac because of its great performance.

I think what turns me off about tabac is the yellow colour, followed by that scent.
As it doesn't shave well for me, my hatred of it is absolute…hehe.
Have no problem with oak moss…..love it in the original ysl rive gauche edt spray.

So hard to keep promises.

Ended up with:

1. Alavarez Gomez Cream (2 tubs) (w/matching AS Balm)
2. Proraso Green (w/matching AS Balm)
3. Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Soap (w/matching AS Balm)
4. Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore Shaving Cream.

All set for another 2-3 years.

but along with esbjerg, this brand seems to suffer from the drawback of needing more product to build an acceptable lather. That is an indulgence I can ill afford for a daily shave.

Really? I have never found that Esbjerg needs more product to build a lather. More than TOBS yes, but a small scoup usually is suffice. Hm. Maybe something to do with the water.

Anyway my vote goes to Esbjerg.

Top Bottom